Subway calls cops over drink-sharing by aspie employee.

Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

jdbob
Toucan
Toucan

06 May 2007, 1:19 am

I'm not sure what the employee being an Aspie has to do with it, just sounds like the store manager has a stick up his ass or something: Stuff.co.nz

zebedee
Toucan
Toucan

06 May 2007, 6:11 am

Wow Im actually quite annoyed by that - wouldnt it have been a lot cheaper on tax payers to just ask for the money for the drinks rather than getting the legal system involved?

I've dropped subway an email to let them know I wont be visiting subway stores on a global basis now - shame they used to be the one static thing I could rely on when I was travelling but if its company policy to be a dick Ill shop local.

http://www.subway.com/subwayroot/Applic ... rvice.aspx

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 6:32 am

Jobsworths. If they worked there they should have just asked for the money. How much was it, a quid? :roll:

zebedee
Toucan
Toucan

06 May 2007, 6:51 am

If anyone is a member of digg its here

http://www.digg.com/offbeat_news/Fast_F ... llar_Drink

Worth a vote methinks.

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 8:57 am

I heard of an employee in a UK store getting fired for eating a boiled egg instead of putting it in the waste bin - the world is completely mad.

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

06 May 2007, 9:42 am

I wrote Subway and told them to pressure that franchisee to drop criminal charges on that girl. Ridiculous to call that crime. Its a civil matter and the store manger should have demanded she pay for the drinks and not called the cops.

I like Zebedee's idea of Digging the story. Goto that link people and sign up for Digg and Digg that story. Well that is if you want to help out a fellow aspie? Digg is massively bigger than WP and it will certainly get alot people motivated to help.

I'm moving this to the General Autism section and adding aspie to the title because I think WP needs to do something.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 9:48 am

How dumb, there should be laws against ditching employees for no reason, and for something as petty as that.

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 9:53 am

Sounds to me as if they wanted to get rid of that employee anyway and were looking for a reason... I mean, it's completely ridiculous to fire someone just because of that.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 10:11 am

Oh if people do not understand the Digg process what you do after you sign up and log in is you click on the "Digg it" in the upper left hand corner. The number will then increase by 1 more. When its big enough it will move to the Digg front page were a very large number of people may see it. I see the current number is a mere "20" votes.
I think I'm setting myself up for extreme disappointment here.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 10:20 am

The FRANCHISE OWNER should get thrown in jail for THEFT!! !! !! HE/SHE/IT STOLE THOUSANDS of dollars from THOUSANDS of people! HOW? Because Subway is a FRANCHISE and people buy it for only 4 reasons!! !! !

1. NAME/*****REPUTATION*****
2. ******ADVERTISING******
3. Turn key(WHICH INCLUDES ABOVE)

If not for that, they wouldn't go to all the extra trouble/time, and spend the extra TENS OF THOUSANDS!

SO, the frachisee created BAD WILL, and devalued advertising! He certainly cost everyone FAR more than the 2 cups of coke.

Steve

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 10:24 am

TheMachine1 wrote:
Oh if people do not understand the Digg process what you do after you sign up and log in is you click on the "Digg it" in the upper left hand corner. The number will then increase by 1 more. When its big enough it will move to the Digg front page were a very large number of people may see it. I see the current number is a mere "20" votes.

Can you give us very simple, step by step instructions on how to "digg?" And include all the necessary URLs?

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 10:36 am

Apatura wrote:
TheMachine1 wrote:

Can you give us very simple, step by step instructions on how to "digg?" And include all the necessary URLs?

http://www.digg.com/register

Use that link to Digg / vote for the story. Just click the link below the vote count in the upper left corner. Make sure it goes up by "1". If your not logged in when you click it you will be ask to login (or register). Do so then click the link below the number again and make sure it increases by "1".

http://www.digg.com/offbeat_news/Fast_F ... llar_Drink

I'm fearful an attribute of aspies not liking getting out of their comfort zone or lack of empathy may result in very few people helping out. This aspie has been put between a rock and a hard place. I'm very suspicious that her having aspergers played apart in why she is being selective prosecuted for this and why a NT could have easily sweet talked their way out.

Cool it just hit "21" :) (It was 20 when I finished voting)

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 1:38 pm

I think this person was treated appallingly!! !

I too have been discriminated against in the workplace (although not to anywhere near this crazy level!) and I HATE seeing it happen to other people.

From now on I will boycott Subway and I will tell people I know to do the same.

I will also do the 'digg' thing later and I will try to email a complaint to Subway too, although I'm dyslexic, so it might take a day or two for me to do this.

I just hope that Subway will, at the very least, leave this person alone to get on with life!

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 1:59 pm

That is just ridiculous. Subway is going to loose a lot more than $4 between the bad publicity and cost of the lawsuit. Restaurants routinely give free drinks to their employees and it said her employee handbook said it was ok. If they were that bent out of shape by her sharing the drink with a friend they could have just asked her for the cash and maybe gave her a warning. If the cops have nothing better to do than jail a young lady over two Cokes then something is wrong. Why don't they go track down some murderers, rapists and drug dealers for heaven sake! I don't think this girl was any threat to the world!! I hope she sues their asses off and wins tons of money! That will show Subway.

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 2:08 pm

This is insane on so many levels.

For one, most anyone that has worked in a restaurant is aware that employees may take food from time to time. While I worked at a donut place in my home town, employees took home donuts whenever they wanted after the late shift was over. Sure, at times this was because the donuts would have been thrown out anyways, but not always... It is far from uncommon.

There was also no need for her diagnosis to be in the article. What purpose does that serve?

As for the reaction of the franchise...how about giving her a reprimand and taking it out of her pay if it mattered so damn much? Having someone face charges over that little is a waste of police resources, a waste of their time, a waste of her time, and in general a dumb move on the part of the restaurant.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 2:13 pm

Eller wrote:
Sounds to me as if they wanted to get rid of that employee anyway and were looking for a reason... I mean, it's completely ridiculous to fire someone just because of that.

I agree. If it were some NT person who was accepted in society Subway wouldn't have likely made such a big deal out of it. I'm guessing their thoughts tend to lead more towards "eewwww, loner cuties" :roll: