Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2016, 6:07 pm

Saw this on Facebook trending today:

Toni Braxton: Singer Says 13-Year-Old Son Has 'No Signs of Autism' After Being Diagnosed With Disorder
"I'm one of the lucky parents. Early diagnosis changes everything," she said on "Access Hollywood Live," adding that the advice of activist Suzanne Wright helped her son Diezel get "off the spectrum."
https://www.facebook.com/topic/Toni-Bra ... source=stm

Discuss.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2016, 6:22 pm

Oh brother......

Nist498
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2016, 12:09 am

It's called developing effective coping behaviors. Braxton is an idiot plain and simple.

All magic comes with a price! - Rumplestiltskin

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2016, 2:41 am

It is possibly the old causation equal correlation flaw that a lot of these miraculous "recovery" stories are about. It does not take into account that possibilty these "improvements" happened in spite of instead of because of whatever treatment or drug is bieng touted. Natural maturation is not taken into account, that the "cured" person is desperatly tried and succeded in producing a sucessful mask for the purpose of pleasing his or her masters or just to get his or her masters to stop bothering them, that the "improvements" are really value judgements of thier masters or society.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2016, 4:20 am

Moral of the story: she doesn't need to be reasonable, and, if it's bad for her son, tough s**t—noöne can or will do anything about it.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2016, 8:53 am

Yeah, seeing that on Facebook - which, let's face it, gets a LOT of readership - made me sad.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2016, 10:09 am

How about her son was never on the spectrum to begin with?

I always do the near fatal eye roll reading things like this.

What parents don't understand is a non verbal child can learn to be vocal. Or learn better coping skills. Just because a child can talk and be main streamed in public schools doesn't mean autism disappeared. It means the therapies worked.

Also, there are other childhood mental illness that can sort of mimic ASD. A good clinician can pick a part is this RAD, FAS, ODD, Bipolar disorder, selective mutism, OCD, GAD, SocAD, or crap parenting. Sometimes you get a lazy clinician, and an ASD diagnosis will give you access to every therapy you might need. Also kids grow up and mature.

How much is wrong diagnosis from the get go or maturity and therapies actually working. *shrug*

There will be always two camps. Parents who want a cure, and make this "thing" go away, and others who don't consider it the kiss of deathn and can be successfully lived with at the minimum. Many parents are never in the second camp.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2016, 10:27 am

Well, where's the fun in accepting reality is complex and trying to be rational when you can instead ditch science itself as wrong and replace it with your sterling whim?

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.