Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

JoeDaBro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2016, 7:20 am

I haven't been on WP in a LONG time, sorry about that. Anyway, here's the story:I just brought Overwatch, and it needs 6.50GB to install, but my C: drive only has 1.91GB. However, the Data/D: drive has 136 GB open, but I'm not exactly sure if it's safe to install files to it. I used Google, and it only came up with how to move files onto the D: drive. I'm not sure if it's safe, so I'm asking you guys.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2016, 8:09 am

Yes, it's safe.

JoeDaBro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2016, 8:17 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Yes, it's safe.

Okay, then.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2016, 11:12 pm

I use multiple drives all the time, and I think it's a good idea. What I usually do is put the operating system on one hard drive, and then have my documents, pictures, videos, and downloads folders on a separate drive for data, and point the librariy links to those folders on the data drive. This makes it easy to change out or upgrade the OS without having to backup and restore everything.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 12:16 am

saxgeek wrote:
I use multiple drives all the time, and I think it's a good idea. What I usually do is put the operating system on one hard drive, and then have my documents, pictures, videos, and downloads folders on a separate drive for data, and point the librariy links to those folders on the data drive. This makes it easy to change out or upgrade the OS without having to backup and restore everything.

me 2! :D

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 2:09 am

I wouldn't trust certain operating systems these days not to decide my personal stuff on the other drive is malware to be flushed down the drain, with no warning and without asking for my permission, as part of the installation.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 8:44 am

It's perfectly safe. I've actually partitioned drives like that on purpose before. Theoretically, keeping your OS and applications in a small partition near the beginning of your drive may improve performance since there's a smaller area for the read/write heads to cover.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 1:18 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
It's perfectly safe. I've actually partitioned drives like that on purpose before. Theoretically, keeping your OS and applications in a small partition near the beginning of your drive may improve performance since there's a smaller area for the read/write heads to cover.

With modern drives, the performance gain from that would be negligible. Operating systems take up multiple gigabytes, and it's up to the filesystem where certain files get placed on the disk. One thing that does improve performance is using RAID so multiple hard drives can be combined into a single partition, and disk accesses can be done in parallel.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 11:54 pm

saxgeek wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

With modern drives, the performance gain from that would be negligible. Operating systems take up multiple gigabytes, and it's up to the filesystem where certain files get placed on the disk. One thing that does improve performance is using RAID so multiple hard drives can be combined into a single partition, and disk accesses can be done in parallel.

Short stroking is the technique I was referring to, though to be honest I haven't had the greatest level of success with it. http://lifehacker.com/how-to-short-stro ... 1598306074