A Facebook conversation made someone ask whether I had autis

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

EgaoNoGenki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2016, 4:24 am

(Foreword: WHY DOES THE TITLE CHARACTER LIMIT HAVE TO BE SUPER-SHORT?! That is so AGGRAVATING!)

When I discussed with a friend about a short blunt girl not being friends with me, I also told him that her Facebook profile only had a friend count in the low 600s (whereas mine was over 950) and only was mutual friends with 4 of our coworkers of the Pizza Hut in which I worked. (I had over 10 friends from there on Facebook.) So I explained that I figured since she had less friends than me total, and at Pizza Hut, she must've been blunt and easily angered at far more people than I thought.

Then this friend, let's call him "Jess," asked whether I had any form of Autism.

How does talking about someone's Facebook in that way, prompt someone to ask whether I have a form of Autism? What was wrong with that conversation?

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 5:01 am

I suspect it was the focus on the number of friends.

EgaoNoGenki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2016, 5:05 am

ArielsSong wrote:

How does that focus seem autistic by any reasonable stretch of the imagination?

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 5:13 am

EgaoNoGenki wrote:
ArielsSong wrote:

How does that focus seem autistic by any reasonable stretch of the imagination?

Because it isn't a typical thing to use the number of friends a person has (particularly a count from FB, which isn't accurate) as an indicator of who they are. The quality of friendships, perhaps, but not the quantity.