Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

For The Love Of All Cats
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Aug 2016, 8:10 pm

Hello,

I have my drivers test next Wenesday, and I am SO nervous. I'm pretty good overall, but I'm really needing to work on small details, and I'm afraid that's what will fail me. Some things are
~ Not looking both ways
~ Rolling stop
~ Not looking behind my shoulder
~ Blinker

How can I improve that? I try, but I just get nervous, and forget, or just forget period, due to all those little details. It sucks.

Anyone have tips? How did you pass your test?

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2016, 8:21 pm

Before I went to get my license, I looked up "commonly made mistakes on driving road tests" and read about those.

I'm a terrible driver, but I still got my license somehow. O.o Just stay focused and concentrate. If you fail, you can take it again once you've gotten more practice.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2016, 8:22 pm

You're doing really good! I didn't get my license until age 37!

What I would do.

1. I would work on really STOPPING for a stop sign.
2. Parallel Parking.
3. Making a K-turn (also known as a U-turn.
4. Making sure you know who has the right-of-way.
5. Always signal when you're making a turn or changing lanes.
6. Make sure you awareness of other cars on the road with you.

Really, all the road test involves, usually, is you going maybe a mile at the most. The tester will test how you follow traffic rules. Follow them TO THE LETTER. Come to a complete stop at a stop sign.

Look in the mirror, and look back, if you have to change lanes. This indicates you are aware of the existence of the "blind spot."

The tester, at some point, will have you parallel park, and make a K/U-turn. Make sure you don't make a K/U-turn when there's a yellow line on the road. Make sure to make it from a turning lane, if at all possible.

Make sure you don't hit either the car in front of you, or the car in back of you, when you parallel-park.

And when you get to the testing site, make sure YOU are not behind the wheel of the car. Let the tester, or the person who took you to the test, tell you to go to the drivers' seat.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2016, 8:39 pm

I passed on the first try; but was marked down for failure to use signal when parking and not looking over my shoulder to back up…

selfmade
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Aug 2016, 10:51 pm

Try to make following rules a habit ever notice people who don't signal alot dont use seatbealts most times do it out of habit. sometimes youl make a careless mistakes your human. but remind yourself to signal every turn dont lane switch without checking make sort of like a checklist once you do it long enough itl become second nature good luck!

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2016, 9:24 am

I took a lot of notes and came up with mnemonic devices to help me remember things like how to do a three-point turn and how to parallel park (those were the two things I struggled with the most). I was 20 when I took my road test and luckily passed on my first attempt. I had the same problem with making mistakes when I get nervous. I would just say try your best, and good luck! :heart:

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 4:16 am

When I had my first driving test, the guy testing me wouldn't let me finish, said I didn't do things I did and just generally lied about me and made me drive back the the BMV. Sometimes they just have it out for a person. I read reviews of this place and there were a couple of complaints of a "psychopath" working there. I think that's who I got. Probably goes home to yell at his wife and kids.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 6:46 am

I was 48 when I got my first driver's license.

Good luck on your test, For the Love of All Cats! (I love your user name. I'm a cat person, too.)

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 6:58 am

IstominFan wrote:
I was 48 when I got my first driver's license.

Good luck on your test, For the Love of All Cats! (I love your user name. I'm a cat person, too.)

This thread was from 2016.

A lot of driving threads in the last week or so, did I start some sort of fad here lol

#palestinianlivesmatter

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 10:31 am

For The Love Of All Cats wrote:
Hello,

I have my drivers test next Wenesday, and I am SO nervous. I'm pretty good overall, but I'm really needing to work on small details, and I'm afraid that's what will fail me. Some things are
~ Not looking both ways
~ Rolling stop
~ Not looking behind my shoulder
~ Blinker

How can I improve that? I try, but I just get nervous, and forget, or just forget period, due to all those little details. It sucks.

Anyone have tips? How did you pass your test?

Please, just wait for self-driving cars that can remember such things. I'd hate to T-bone you, but I wouldn't feel guilty as a cause of the accident. These are not stupid little rules, they are how a human stays safe when among others.

AnnieAnn
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jul 2019, 6:57 pm

I got my license when I was 16. A few years ago it was up for renewal where I was required to go to DMV in person for a new photo license. I kept putting it off because I get nervous going to the DMV. It is an unfamiliar location, far from my house, and long lines waiting etc, scary people, loud kids. So I put it off for so long that my license was not only expired but I was required to take my road test again at now age 50. I had never been so nervous in my life and I don't even know how I passed it. I can drive fine but i was so nervous. The woman must have felt sorry for me.
But FYI, do not ever let it expire or you have to take the road test again, and written test and road signs test!! !! !
Also, watching youtube videos of road test driving really helped me in knowing what to expect.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 9:10 pm

didn't get my license until 19, i suspect that if i could get one, that anybody else could as i was fairly scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of native cognitive ability. the biggest struggle was nervousness which interfered with my thinking. i think the OP will eventually do fine. 8)

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 9:13 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You're doing really good! I didn't get my license until age 37!

I was about 36 when I got my licence

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 9:21 pm

You beat me by one year...

But at least you got it.

I can’t drive stick shift—so I really can’t drive in the UK, for the most part.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 9:43 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You beat me by one year...

But at least you got it.

I can’t drive stick shift—so I really can’t drive in the UK, for the most part.

stick shifts are on their way out anyways, so nothing to worry about.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2019, 6:54 am

I'm probably the oldest one here to get a driver's license for the first time, as I got it at 48.