Tricks to fall asleep & stay asleep better

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

infilove
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2016, 2:11 am

I used to have trouble falling asleep because of sleep anxiety. Fortunately, I learned some ways that help: 1) Eliminate pressure to fall asleep- let go of fear and regrets of not getting enough sleep. 2) Understand that even if you don’t actually sleep, you can still gain “rest” while awake by being physicall and mentally relaxed which will recuperate energy equivalent to some sleep. 3) Use conventional mind relaxing techniques like counting backwards, counting sheep, or listening to music. These techniques may not work for everyone. 4) If conventional mind relaxation techniques don't work for you, try meditating- using various techniques such as being a passive-observer of your thoughts and images you see OR focusing on one particular thought that's positive or relaxing, OR unforcefully think of no thoughts at all. 5) Don't get tempted to get up for anything, and eliminate all potential temptations in advanced. 6) Take sleeping pills (these help ALOT)! ! 7) Wear earplugs, and keep an extra set near you incase one falls out during sleep. 8) go to bed earlier and get up earlier then your required "wake up" time. 9) Go to bed at a regular routine. 10) Use your bed only for sleeping and nothing else. 11) Don't eat, exercise, or consume any caffeine before going to bed. I hope you find these helpful. If you have any other tips/suggestions, please share!

aspie quiz results; http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1= ... =80&p12=28

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 1:09 am

I suffered for about 20 years from getting sub-optimal sleep. Here's what I've done to alleviate that...

I need a steady source of noise to drown out all the other sources of sound. Living in an apartment complex there's all kinds of opportunities for noise and even the tiniest change in back round sounds will snap me back to full attention if I'm trying to fall asleep. I use a space heater in fan mode as my noise source.

I need to be sleeping in a familiar location. It takes me about two weeks to acclimate to a new setting. The moves back into college dorms for me each september and january were hell because the first few days were guaranteed that I would not sleep at all.

melatonin! melatonin! melatonin!

If you can, invest in blackout shades for the windows. In my quest for a more peaceful bedroom environment as a tweenager, I started to hang spare blankets over the windows in my room and I noticed an immediate improvement in the quality of sleep I was getting - drove my parents nuts. They asked if I was a hermit or vampire or something like that.

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2016, 7:44 am

I have foil over the window and must have comfort objects with me in order to sleep.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2016, 6:23 pm

Alcohol.