Toni Braxton’s son was not cured of autism and it’s irresponsible for her to say so

Page 7 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2018, 5:26 pm

People can be cured of autism because a person can have a treatable condition that causes the autism.

For example, a person can have hypothyroidism, which is linked to autism.

That person can take thyroid medicine to alleviate the hypothyroidism, and thus, cure the autism.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2018, 6:03 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
People can be cured of autism because a person can have a treatable condition that causes the autism.

That person can take thyroid medicine to alleviate the hypothyroidism, and thus, cure the autism.

Sorry to but in like, but
Hyperthyroidism is not autism. Taking the right medicine for the hyperthyroid condition deals with the hyperthyropid condition.
While there may be superficial resemblance in some observed symptoms, they are completely different conditions.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2018, 6:31 pm

rowan_nichol wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Hyperthyroidism is not autism. Taking the right medicine for the hyperthyroid condition deals with the hyperthyropid condition.
While there may be superficial resemblance in some observed symptoms, they are completely different conditions.

Autism is simply a set of observable behavior.

A rock can fall on your head , and you can develop the "set of observable behavior" labeled "autism".

A simple google search, will show you that hyper/hypothyroidism is suspected to cause the "set of observable behavior" labeled "autism".

"if your child has autism ... get his thyroid checked".
https://www.autismparentingmagazine.com ... ifference/

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2018, 8:14 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
rowan_nichol wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Autism is simply a set of observable behavior.

A rock can fall on your head , and you can develop the "set of observable behavior" labeled "autism".

A simple google search, will show you that hyper/hypothyroidism is suspected to cause the "set of observable behavior" labeled "autism".

"if your child has autism ... get his thyroid checked".
https://www.autismparentingmagazine.com ... ifference/

A lot of things can cause autism like traits. If a person does not develop most of the traits associated with autism by a certain age they should not be diagnosed with autism because autism is a neurodevelopmental condition.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

KeepOn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jan 2018, 6:40 am

Leahcar wrote:
KeepOn wrote:
I am more annoyed by her saying her son's autism was a punishment from god. What a nasty thing to say about your child. :x

That's guilt talking. Many parents feel guilty when their child is first diagnosed with autism, thinking it's their fault or a punishment from God.
They just want their child to live a 'normal', happy, healthy life (a lot of the time at the initial stage, parents are unsure about how autism is going to affect the child's quality of life, and how their child's future is going to play out - will they ever speak, live independently, get a job?)

Maybe so, but to say it so publicly in a way that her son will find out seems massively insensitive to his feelings.

Ailuron
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Aug 2018, 9:54 pm

Maybe he was cured of any burden associated with Autism.
It’s genetic. You can’t alter your genome.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2018, 10:56 pm

Ailuron wrote:
Maybe he was cured of any burden associated with Autism.
It’s genetic. You can’t alter your genome.

Pretty much. I don't think there is or ever will be a "cure" for autism, but people cope with it in different ways.

You can medicate people but autism is essentially personality, which is basically the very outward appearance of any one person, and their outermost psyche. You simply can't change that.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 6:41 am

Well go ahead and think you're effing awesome....but that's probably in your head.....we all like to think that of ourselves but chances are that NTs aren't going to think it. Most of this seems to be about high end Asperger's people...

Pjscrab
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2018, 8:38 am

Could be wrong diagnosis?

I had a friend who claimed her son had an infection in the ear that affected his brain. She’s a psychologist and she labeled him autistic because he had developmental delays after that.

Well I don’t know what happened to him after that. But one day she claimed he was cured haha. It’s not that simple.

Other psychologists definitely agreed that it was wrong diagnosis - one can only cope up with the symptoms and not be cured.

Your neurodiverse score: 107/200
Your neurotypical score: 135/200

You seem to have both ND and NT traits.

sport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Mar 2020, 10:34 am

I think untrue or misdiagnosed.You never [cure]it.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 3:21 pm

I think if people were cured from their autism it could be one of these four things.

1. They were misdiagnosed with something else.
2. They were never autistic in the first place.
3. They learned to mask their symptoms.
4. It is a fake news story.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 3:23 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:

Those are comorbidities rather than autism itself. I was once severely autistic when I was little and now as a mild-moderate autistic much of my comorbidities went away but my autism remained and will for the rest of my life.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 3:24 pm

arachnids wrote:
Autistics who are 'cured' are just good actors. It pleases the NTs to have us perform like trained circus animals to appease their feelings of guilt and disgust about what we are.

Being an actor just leads to burnout. The NTs gain the benefit, but there is no benefit to the autistic and it just leads to anxiety, depression and feelings of isolation and resentment. Autistics know they're acting, but can never tell anyone. I suppose it's like 'being in the closet' although society doesn't mind gay people now and they're allowed out.

I wish we could be this lucky :?

Yes I do believe they are actors making a fake news story that they are cured of their autism.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 3:27 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
That pretty much happened to me.

It was thought that I had a "severe developmental disability" at age 3-4. By age 6, I was pretty much talking like any other 6-year-old.

When I was 6, I learned to tie my shoes, dress myself, write, cross the street alone, buy things from a store and get the correct change (that actually occurred when I was about 5 3/4), and ride a bike (still with training wheels).

When I was 4 years old, I could do VIRTUALLY NOTHING--though I was toilet-trained. I was able to count and to read words, though. By 5 3/4, I could pick up Dr. Seuss and read the whole thing, and understand it. By 6 1/2, I could read what is now called a "chapter book."

I had absolutely no verbal speech until the summer of 1966, at the age of 5 1/2.

Me to.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 3:30 pm

Owlpic wrote:
The symptoms of Autism puts one on the spectrum. Once the symptoms are gone, Autism is gone.
Personally ... important contributions are made by people with Autistic traits; to remove those traits is to take a way the ability to provide their unique perspective. We need autistic people, please stop curing them.!

I don't think all autism symptoms can go away but a good amount of them definitely can. A lot of why severe autism is so disabling is because autism can cause many comorbid conditions that make the autism look more severe. For example speech apraxia makes it more difficult to communicate and thus would fit the definition of having a hard time to communicate more.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 3:34 pm

Saying you can cure autism through learning skills through therapies and interventions is like saying you can cure allism (neurotypical) because they learn more skills over time as well. People (autistic or not) at a very young age didn't have the skills that they do when they get older.