Toni Braxton’s son was not cured of autism and it’s irresponsible for her to say so

Page 6 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

B19
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 5:29 pm

For myself, as I knew better I did better, and things I learned here on WP in my first year were a huge part of that transition, more so than any other website, book or information source.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 7:00 pm

[quote="B19"]For myself, as I knew better I did better, and things I learned here on WP.

That is good to hear, 2nd are you related to the wrongplanet user B9? Just wondering as, I mean no harm nor offense whatsoever.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 7:50 pm

No, I don't know who b9 is, other than another member here.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 7:57 pm

Nice to meet you B19

katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Sep 2016, 3:33 pm

B19 wrote:
For myself, as I knew better I did better, and things I learned here on WP in my first year were a huge part of that transition, more so than any other website, book or information source.

Me too, for me it's made all the change in the world.

Back to Toni, I've hesitated to say this as I don't know the full story. And I reckon she must have a terrible life, like any celebrity the pressure must take you to breaking point. But I just find this really striking, this thing about God punishing her. I mean, if she broke down weeping and said this in the despair and passion of the moment, i guess I can understand. But to say that in a thought-out way, if that's how it was, that would be just unbelievable. I mean, you have to pretty self-centred (or utterly blinded to anything else) to say that anything afflicting those nearest and dearest to you might have been done in order to get at YOU. Wow.

BrookelynR
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Sep 2016, 6:07 pm

This is insane because so many people believe these stupid myths about Autism. I hate it when people think there child with autism has been cured or Autism Speaks only helps raise awareness about child. I've had enough with this stuff, I'm almost 18 and I still have difficulties that I faced when I was little. The media needs to wake up, Autism is lifelong.

Sewmachine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Dec 2016, 10:29 pm

:x :x This is so aggrivating. Why must these idiots always have to make statements without any facts. Aaaagh,

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 5:25 am

katy_rome wrote:
nostromo wrote:
Hate to nitpick but she didn't say he was cured.

She said "has no signs of autism" and that's entirely possible.

Oooh nostromo, sorry this is TOTALLY irrelevant but do I really see Moonintroll and Snufkin sitting on the bridge in Moomin Valley? Among my very favourite books. Reading them to my children at the moment, how lovely to see them here.

ps now everyone really will think this thread has gone nuts :roll:

Indeed it is Moomintroll and Snufkin! My favourite books too.

debianator
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jan 2018, 3:55 pm

Who is Toni Braxton?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 5:46 pm

debianator wrote:
Who is Toni Braxton?

R&B star of circa 2000 with hits like "Unbreak My Heart", and this.

rebeccadanielprophet
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2018, 9:58 pm

I believe in true healing but why want a cure? Coping mechanisms, sure, but cure, no.

"Someday you might see who I really am, and it will change the way you feel about me." "Nothing could ever do that."

Made different to make a difference

whether as victor or vanquished, isn't it better than sullen resignation?

KeepOn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jan 2018, 3:29 pm

I am more annoyed by her saying her son's autism was a punishment from god. What a nasty thing to say about your child. :x

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2018, 4:14 am

alex wrote:
  Read Full Article
A few days ago, Toni Braxton claimed that her son had been cured of autism. There is no way that what Braxton said is true because there is no cure for autism. While early intervention and therapy can certainly help individuals on the spectrum live productive lives, autism is a lifelong condition. By claiming otherwise, Braxton is not only spreading misinformation, she is damaging the autism community in multiple ways.

While being interviewed on Access Hollywood, Braxton said: “My youngest son, everyone knows, suffers from, or I should say, suffered from autism.” When asked to explain, she added “I’m one of ...

One more reason to despise Hollywood celebrities and their rich and corrupt ways that's for sure. Anything that comes out of an actor's mouth is bound to be paid for by somebody behind the scenes whether it's a publicist or studio head or whoever. They're nothing but super yes-men. I can't help but think that someone paid her to say that because it sounds so rehearsed and practiced. Just like an actor's lines in front of a movie camera. Actors and singers aren't exactly known for their high intelligence anyways. For the most part they're just nothing but idiot NTs.

It angers me when anyone attempts to lessen the effects of Autism by saying that there is a cure for something that can't be cured because it isn't a disease in the first place.

That angers me a lot.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2018, 4:41 am

xatrix26 wrote:
alex wrote:
  Read Full Article
A few days ago, Toni Braxton claimed that her son had been cured of autism. There is no way that what Braxton said is true because there is no cure for autism. While early intervention and therapy can certainly help individuals on the spectrum live productive lives, autism is a lifelong condition. By claiming otherwise, Braxton is not only spreading misinformation, she is damaging the autism community in multiple ways.

While being interviewed on Access Hollywood, Braxton said: “My youngest son, everyone knows, suffers from, or I should say, suffered from autism.” When asked to explain, she added “I’m one of ...

One more reason to despise Hollywood celebrities and their rich and corrupt ways that's for sure. Anything that comes out of an actor's mouth is bound to be paid for by somebody behind the scenes whether it's a publicist or studio head or whoever. They're nothing but super yes-men. I can't help but think that someone paid her to say that because it sounds so rehearsed and practiced. Just like an actor's lines in front of a movie camera. Actors and singers aren't exactly known for their high intelligence anyways. For the most part they're just nothing but idiot NTs.

It angers me when anyone attempts to lessen the effects of Autism by saying that there is a cure for something that can't be cured because it isn't a disease in the first place.

That angers me a lot.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2018, 8:39 am

Yes it does seem that kids mature at different rates and parents and doctors are too quick to hang Asperger's type dx's on them. Those kids grow up and tell other people they can do it to.

I don't give ear to such talk. Those of us who truly have autism and struggle with employment even after being hired don't want to be bothered with the Aspie wanna be people. Autism is far more than social awkwardness or the inability to get a date. I had all kinds of dates but not relationships. One or two dates in, I'd never hear from the guy again. Perhaps my no touch rule scared them off. I was dating for companionship-the men were seeking physical intimacy. Yeah wasn't going to work out.

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jan 2018, 4:58 pm

KeepOn wrote:
I am more annoyed by her saying her son's autism was a punishment from god. What a nasty thing to say about your child. :x

That's guilt talking. Many parents feel guilty when their child is first diagnosed with autism, thinking it's their fault or a punishment from God.
They just want their child to live a 'normal', happy, healthy life (a lot of the time at the initial stage, parents are unsure about how autism is going to affect the child's quality of life, and how their child's future is going to play out - will they ever speak, live independently, get a job?)