Toni Braxton’s son was not cured of autism and it’s irresponsible for her to say so

Page 8 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 3:38 pm

As a proud autistic my opinions on a cure and prevention to autism depend on how they define it because autism varies in severity and is very complex.

Like if someone wants to cure and prevent severe autism and comorbid conditions I would fully support it and be an ardent supporter, but however if it's all of autism including higher functioning people that don't need or want a cure than I would strongly oppose it.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 3:39 pm

somanyspoons wrote:
Its really painful for me to watch videos of these "cured" kids. At least the kids are relatively happy. But they are so obviously still on the spectrum. A trained eye can see the signs - the very strong, narrow interests, the tenency to go on and on, the subtle ways they are using their bodies. So, instead of acknowledging how well they are doing and how great it is that they are reaching out to other people, we say they aren't autistic anymore. And then what we have is a child working really hard and not getting the supports and understanding that they need.

You are right, autism is a lifelong neurological condition.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 4:06 pm

[First to say that no one can be cured limits Gods ability to do the miraculous so I will never say that, and the aspects that need a cure God can heal if we let Him and it is His will... But we need to ask "Did God make me as I am for a reason?"].

But lets look at things here in a down to earth way that we can address.

If there are missing brain connections which is what autism is, the only cure is to remake those connections. Therapy just hides the symptoms and can have the potential to hit much harder later in life because to program ones brain to work harder means later on one will burn out or break down completely. Those who have not been through this because they have never had issues do not realize the harm they can be doing by trying to make others appear "Normal". What is "Normal" anyway?
I take it others say they want you to be like them but it is like putting a homeless man who is homeless because of an issue in his life, and giving him a house and a car and nice clothes. It only lasts so long until he is back to being homeless again. Why? Because without the right support, he is not able to look after himself in the issues of where he was struggling in that caused him homeless in the first place (And I am not saying that one should not try to home him and do good and bless him. That is precious. I am saying that unless one can support him in the areas that he is weak, then he is not able to look after and keep the rather nice things that you have given him. Therapy can rather be like this but worse. You are first hiding the symptoms, but secondly you are forcing square pegs into round holes which only serves to hurt the pegs and damage the holes.
The therapy "Band aids" which are intended to help will harm if they are intended to make people be who they are not.

I am thinking about my past. I have had many people try to help me, but their concept of helping me was to try to make and mould me to be like a copy of them which I am not, so though their kind hearted gestures were intending to help, they were not only not working, but causing me to end up broken and hurt. They were never intending to do that. They were trying to help. It seemed to them like I was not greatful when I started to fall to pieces... To them it seemed like I was not listening to them. But if I was like them it would work. It would be good advice and their help would work, but I was not like them so the help caused friction and damaged not only me, but damaged their feelings too. No one was at fault. It was just that an approach which is right for most people does not work for those who are different.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2021, 4:02 am

Given the fuzziness, arbitrariness, and inherent subjectivity of the line between ASD and non-ASD, it's really not surprising that some kids would cross the diagnostic threshold as they grow up. So, yes, there do exist some kids who are diagnosed with ASD and then get undiagnosed later.

Some relevant articles I found just now:

- Losing an autism diagnosis by Tori DeAngelis, American Psychological Association, April 2019. "It’s rare, but some children with autism spectrum disorder lose their symptoms. Psychologists are exploring why, and how these children fare long term."

- "Recovery" by the Numbers: How often do children lose an autism diagnosis? by Marina Sarris, Interactive Autism Network at Kennedy Krieger Institute, Simons Simplex Community, January 27, 2016.

In many but not all cases, these kids just barely met the diagnostic criteria in the first place, and in some cases they were misdiagnosed. Also, many of these kids have high IQ's, which may mean they are good at masking.

In many but not all cases, kids who lose an ASD diagnosis are then diagnosed with some other neurological condition such as ADHD or a specific learning disability.

Also early intervention increases the likelihood that a child will be undiagnosed.

Kalei
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Sep 2021, 11:28 pm

It does not mean he is cured, but it means he passed the test/evaluation. A parent who has no autistic traits herself might interpret this as cured though.

Alien99
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Sep 2021, 9:37 pm

Don't worry she will get her dues when he's in his 30s and he goes no contact because she won't let him be who he actually is.