Toni Braxton’s son was not cured of autism and it’s irresponsible for her to say so

Page 6 of 7 [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 103,280
Location: Hanging out with my fellow Sweet Peas at Stalag 13

19 Sep 2016, 1:27 pm

I don't get why famous people say that their kids are cured when they're not.


_________________
Schultz

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645


Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,807

19 Sep 2016, 2:20 pm

alex wrote:
Her son has become more social because he got a lot of support. That doesn't mean that he's no longer on the spectrum. It means he has gained skills to do better in life.


Sometimes, people improve naturally too. Or, they may experience a shock/event that opens them up to the world (this one happened to me which got me talking--there's literature on this happening too).

He's no doubt just moved up the spectrum, and as we all know, it has just as many challenges and hardships.


_________________
Trust no one

The old gods are still here; be wary


katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 225
Location: UK

22 Sep 2016, 4:02 am

InThisTogether wrote:
alex wrote:
nostromo wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
nostromo wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
nostromo wrote:
Hate to nitpick but she didn't say he was cured.

She said "has no signs of autism" and that's entirely possible.



Quote:
My son Diezel is off the spectrum

Thanks for proving my point.

She does not have to say the exact words "He was cured" to mean she thinks has was cured. She is presumably NT and presimably does not use exacting language. She came as close to saying those exact words without actually saying them. If a person is on the spectrum he or she is autistic. If the person is not on the spectrum anymore he or she is not autistic anymore. If he or she is not autistic because of some action such as therapy then that action "cured" that person. That is what she is claiming happened. What other interpretation of her words can there reasonably be?

I Disagree. Words are of utmost importance.

Its open to interpretation but I tend to think of "cure" as this illusionary concept of change imbibed by some sort if elixer or procedure. Highly unfeasible. I don't know of Ms Braxtons interpretation but I would suspect that whatever it is it is not the same as the alleged change she is talking about in her son. Her words are important. She claims he is no longer on the spectrum, she claims he no longer shows signs of autism.

I would imagine most people here myself included know he is and always will be autistic and Ms Braxton might even think that too for all we know but she wasnt speaking to that she was speaking of what I am almost certain are diagnostic criteria for autism. Different things. The distinction is subtle but important.
In fact she didnt even go so far as to claim he no longer had autism.

Words matter. They are very important as they convey meaning and intent.

It does irk me when people jump to conclusions and blurt our headlines like this that are misleading.

What a bogus argument.


Actually, I think it is an interesting argument.

I do not know Toni Braxton, nor her son, and I tend not to follow "celebrity" stories, but, if one looked back at my previous post, I can imagine myself saying my daughter "shows no signs of autism" (if I was talking about time periods because she can go days in which this statement is entirely true. And weeks in which it is largely true), but I do not think she is cured. I am not autistic, so I guess I can't use precise speech :wink: , but it would be a conscious choice of words for me. And I do believe my daughter has at least one foot "off the spectrum" in a diagnostic sense, so I might also say that. But I do not think she is cured.

NT people can use language thoughtfully and with intent. It is errant to assume that because someone is *presumably* NT that they are haphazard and imprecise with their choice of words. Nostromos' argument is worth consideration. She may have deliberately chosen the words she chose because they are the best way she can think of to explain her reality (and her son's).

I must also point out, again, that I do NOT think my daughter has been cured, and I am 100% certain that at the time of diagnosis, she was 100% autistic. But I also do not think she would be able to be properly diagnosed at this point based on her presentation today. You are making things much more black and white than they actually are. I also think it is presumptuous for anyone on this board to think they know her son better than she does just because they share a neurology with him. I do not walk around telling parents of kids with ADHD that I know their kids better than they do. I may understand certain realities of their experience better than they do, because I know firsthand what it is like to have an uncooperative brain and executive dysfunction, but I do not know their kid better than they do. If she says her kid no longer demonstrates signs of autism, without *evidence* to the contrary, we must accept the possibility that her statement is accurate. Our speculations are not evidence.


Dear InThisTogether, this is interesting to me also being a mum.. it sounds like things have got easier for you and your daughter, like you've found ways of being and going forward that work in the sense of positive outcomes e.g. being happy and confident in day-to-day life. May I ask, as a fellow mum (and feel free to PM me if it feels more appropriate), how you've achieved this, and maybe telling me something about your journey? I feel a bit similar myself in that things are going really well for us now, though of course all of us still have our moments - and therefore I'm very interested in others' experiences!



katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 225
Location: UK

22 Sep 2016, 4:42 pm

nostromo wrote:
Hate to nitpick but she didn't say he was cured.

She said "has no signs of autism" and that's entirely possible.


Oooh nostromo, sorry this is TOTALLY irrelevant but do I really see Moonintroll and Snufkin sitting on the bridge in Moomin Valley? Among my very favourite books. Reading them to my children at the moment, how lovely to see them here.

ps now everyone really will think this thread has gone nuts :roll:



kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,180

22 Sep 2016, 4:48 pm

No one is cured in the literal sense, rather autistic persons learn & develop techniques to better help them both on a mental & social level.


_________________
I'm an extremely vulnerable person. Vulnerability and emotion are very closely linked.


B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,279
Location: New Zealand

22 Sep 2016, 5:29 pm

For myself, as I knew better I did better, and things I learned here on WP in my first year were a huge part of that transition, more so than any other website, book or information source.



kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,180

22 Sep 2016, 7:00 pm

[quote="B19"]For myself, as I knew better I did better, and things I learned here on WP.


That is good to hear, 2nd are you related to the wrongplanet user B9? Just wondering as, I mean no harm nor offense whatsoever.


_________________
I'm an extremely vulnerable person. Vulnerability and emotion are very closely linked.


B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,279
Location: New Zealand

22 Sep 2016, 7:50 pm

No, I don't know who b9 is, other than another member here.



kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,180

22 Sep 2016, 7:57 pm

Nice to meet you B19


_________________
I'm an extremely vulnerable person. Vulnerability and emotion are very closely linked.


katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 225
Location: UK

26 Sep 2016, 3:33 pm

B19 wrote:
For myself, as I knew better I did better, and things I learned here on WP in my first year were a huge part of that transition, more so than any other website, book or information source.


Me too, for me it's made all the change in the world.

Back to Toni, I've hesitated to say this as I don't know the full story. And I reckon she must have a terrible life, like any celebrity the pressure must take you to breaking point. But I just find this really striking, this thing about God punishing her. I mean, if she broke down weeping and said this in the despair and passion of the moment, i guess I can understand. But to say that in a thought-out way, if that's how it was, that would be just unbelievable. I mean, you have to pretty self-centred (or utterly blinded to anything else) to say that anything afflicting those nearest and dearest to you might have been done in order to get at YOU. Wow.



BrookelynR
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 26 Nov 2014
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Posts: 2

27 Sep 2016, 6:07 pm

This is insane because so many people believe these stupid myths about Autism. I hate it when people think there child with autism has been cured or Autism Speaks only helps raise awareness about child. I've had enough with this stuff, I'm almost 18 and I still have difficulties that I faced when I was little. The media needs to wake up, Autism is lifelong.



Sewmachine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 29 Dec 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 5
Location: Europe

29 Dec 2016, 10:29 pm

:x :x This is so aggrivating. Why must these idiots always have to make statements without any facts. Aaaagh,



nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Mar 2010
Age: 51
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,321
Location: At Festively Plump

21 Jan 2017, 5:25 am

katy_rome wrote:
nostromo wrote:
Hate to nitpick but she didn't say he was cured.

She said "has no signs of autism" and that's entirely possible.


Oooh nostromo, sorry this is TOTALLY irrelevant but do I really see Moonintroll and Snufkin sitting on the bridge in Moomin Valley? Among my very favourite books. Reading them to my children at the moment, how lovely to see them here.

ps now everyone really will think this thread has gone nuts :roll:

Indeed it is Moomintroll and Snufkin! My favourite books too.



debianator
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: 17 Dec 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 46
Location: Virginia

17 Jan 2018, 3:55 pm

Who is Toni Braxton?



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,133
Location: temperate zone

17 Jan 2018, 5:46 pm

debianator wrote:
Who is Toni Braxton?


R&B star of circa 2000 with hits like "Unbreak My Heart", and this.