Toni Braxton’s son was not cured of autism and it’s irresponsible for her to say so

Page 6 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

rebeccadanielprophet
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2018, 9:58 pm

I believe in true healing but why want a cure? Coping mechanisms, sure, but cure, no.

"Someday you might see who I really am, and it will change the way you feel about me." "Nothing could ever do that."

Made different to make a difference

whether as victor or vanquished, isn't it better than sullen resignation?

KeepOn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jan 2018, 3:29 pm

I am more annoyed by her saying her son's autism was a punishment from god. What a nasty thing to say about your child. :x

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2018, 4:14 am

alex wrote:
  Read Full Article
A few days ago, Toni Braxton claimed that her son had been cured of autism. There is no way that what Braxton said is true because there is no cure for autism. While early intervention and therapy can certainly help individuals on the spectrum live productive lives, autism is a lifelong condition. By claiming otherwise, Braxton is not only spreading misinformation, she is damaging the autism community in multiple ways.

While being interviewed on Access Hollywood, Braxton said: “My youngest son, everyone knows, suffers from, or I should say, suffered from autism.” When asked to explain, she added “I’m one of ...

One more reason to despise Hollywood celebrities and their rich and corrupt ways that's for sure. Anything that comes out of an actor's mouth is bound to be paid for by somebody behind the scenes whether it's a publicist or studio head or whoever. They're nothing but super yes-men. I can't help but think that someone paid her to say that because it sounds so rehearsed and practiced. Just like an actor's lines in front of a movie camera. Actors and singers aren't exactly known for their high intelligence anyways. For the most part they're just nothing but idiot NTs.

It angers me when anyone attempts to lessen the effects of Autism by saying that there is a cure for something that can't be cured because it isn't a disease in the first place.

That angers me a lot.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2018, 4:41 am

xatrix26 wrote:
alex wrote:
  Read Full Article
A few days ago, Toni Braxton claimed that her son had been cured of autism. There is no way that what Braxton said is true because there is no cure for autism. While early intervention and therapy can certainly help individuals on the spectrum live productive lives, autism is a lifelong condition. By claiming otherwise, Braxton is not only spreading misinformation, she is damaging the autism community in multiple ways.

While being interviewed on Access Hollywood, Braxton said: “My youngest son, everyone knows, suffers from, or I should say, suffered from autism.” When asked to explain, she added “I’m one of ...

One more reason to despise Hollywood celebrities and their rich and corrupt ways that's for sure. Anything that comes out of an actor's mouth is bound to be paid for by somebody behind the scenes whether it's a publicist or studio head or whoever. They're nothing but super yes-men. I can't help but think that someone paid her to say that because it sounds so rehearsed and practiced. Just like an actor's lines in front of a movie camera. Actors and singers aren't exactly known for their high intelligence anyways. For the most part they're just nothing but idiot NTs.

It angers me when anyone attempts to lessen the effects of Autism by saying that there is a cure for something that can't be cured because it isn't a disease in the first place.

That angers me a lot.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2018, 8:39 am

Yes it does seem that kids mature at different rates and parents and doctors are too quick to hang Asperger's type dx's on them. Those kids grow up and tell other people they can do it to.

I don't give ear to such talk. Those of us who truly have autism and struggle with employment even after being hired don't want to be bothered with the Aspie wanna be people. Autism is far more than social awkwardness or the inability to get a date. I had all kinds of dates but not relationships. One or two dates in, I'd never hear from the guy again. Perhaps my no touch rule scared them off. I was dating for companionship-the men were seeking physical intimacy. Yeah wasn't going to work out.

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jan 2018, 4:58 pm

KeepOn wrote:
I am more annoyed by her saying her son's autism was a punishment from god. What a nasty thing to say about your child. :x

That's guilt talking. Many parents feel guilty when their child is first diagnosed with autism, thinking it's their fault or a punishment from God.
They just want their child to live a 'normal', happy, healthy life (a lot of the time at the initial stage, parents are unsure about how autism is going to affect the child's quality of life, and how their child's future is going to play out - will they ever speak, live independently, get a job?)

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2018, 5:26 pm

People can be cured of autism because a person can have a treatable condition that causes the autism.

For example, a person can have hypothyroidism, which is linked to autism.

That person can take thyroid medicine to alleviate the hypothyroidism, and thus, cure the autism.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2018, 6:03 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
People can be cured of autism because a person can have a treatable condition that causes the autism.

That person can take thyroid medicine to alleviate the hypothyroidism, and thus, cure the autism.

Sorry to but in like, but
Hyperthyroidism is not autism. Taking the right medicine for the hyperthyroid condition deals with the hyperthyropid condition.
While there may be superficial resemblance in some observed symptoms, they are completely different conditions.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2018, 6:31 pm

rowan_nichol wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Hyperthyroidism is not autism. Taking the right medicine for the hyperthyroid condition deals with the hyperthyropid condition.
While there may be superficial resemblance in some observed symptoms, they are completely different conditions.

Autism is simply a set of observable behavior.

A rock can fall on your head , and you can develop the "set of observable behavior" labeled "autism".

A simple google search, will show you that hyper/hypothyroidism is suspected to cause the "set of observable behavior" labeled "autism".

"if your child has autism ... get his thyroid checked".
https://www.autismparentingmagazine.com ... ifference/

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2018, 8:14 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
rowan_nichol wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Autism is simply a set of observable behavior.

A rock can fall on your head , and you can develop the "set of observable behavior" labeled "autism".

A simple google search, will show you that hyper/hypothyroidism is suspected to cause the "set of observable behavior" labeled "autism".

"if your child has autism ... get his thyroid checked".
https://www.autismparentingmagazine.com ... ifference/

A lot of things can cause autism like traits. If a person does not develop most of the traits associated with autism by a certain age they should not be diagnosed with autism because autism is a neurodevelopmental condition.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

KeepOn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jan 2018, 6:40 am

Leahcar wrote:
KeepOn wrote:

That's guilt talking. Many parents feel guilty when their child is first diagnosed with autism, thinking it's their fault or a punishment from God.
They just want their child to live a 'normal', happy, healthy life (a lot of the time at the initial stage, parents are unsure about how autism is going to affect the child's quality of life, and how their child's future is going to play out - will they ever speak, live independently, get a job?)

Maybe so, but to say it so publicly in a way that her son will find out seems massively insensitive to his feelings.

Ailuron
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Aug 2018, 9:54 pm

Maybe he was cured of any burden associated with Autism.
It’s genetic. You can’t alter your genome.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2018, 10:56 pm

Ailuron wrote:
Maybe he was cured of any burden associated with Autism.
It’s genetic. You can’t alter your genome.

Pretty much. I don't think there is or ever will be a "cure" for autism, but people cope with it in different ways.

You can medicate people but autism is essentially personality, which is basically the very outward appearance of any one person, and their outermost psyche. You simply can't change that.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 6:41 am

Well go ahead and think you're effing awesome....but that's probably in your head.....we all like to think that of ourselves but chances are that NTs aren't going to think it. Most of this seems to be about high end Asperger's people...

Pjscrab
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2018, 8:38 am

Could be wrong diagnosis?

I had a friend who claimed her son had an infection in the ear that affected his brain. She’s a psychologist and she labeled him autistic because he had developmental delays after that.

Well I don’t know what happened to him after that. But one day she claimed he was cured haha. It’s not that simple.

Other psychologists definitely agreed that it was wrong diagnosis - one can only cope up with the symptoms and not be cured.

Your neurodiverse score: 107/200
Your neurotypical score: 135/200

You seem to have both ND and NT traits.

sport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Mar 2020, 10:34 am

I think untrue or misdiagnosed.You never [cure]it.