Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 6:00 pm

Hello, does anybody know how to get one? It seems like the autism service dogs are all for kids.
I was just tested and if I get diagnosed I am going to try to get one, most especially to help with my sensory issues at work.
Thanks for any advice.

And hi, I haven't been here in a while. How are you all doing?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 6:03 pm

I'm all right.

So you got assessed for autism?

How's work?

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 6:04 pm

Work has been extremely difficult this last year, which is why I finally broke down and went for testing.

It was coming down to this or quitting.

Glad you are doing well. Anything existing happen since I was here?

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 8:01 pm

wozeree wrote:
Work has been extremely difficult this last year, which is why I finally broke down and went for testing.

i was at that point once a couple years back. it's been an uphill struggle to get balanced, and now i feel almost back at square one in the struggle.

good luck with getting a service dog. from what i have read, you won't get one right away. i think it takes like a year and tons of charity hours or something like that. but don't let it stop you.

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

alex
Developer
Developer

11 Aug 2016, 8:16 pm

I've met autistic adults with autism service dogs.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 8:19 pm

LOL...the same old controversies. No it's the Trump people
Vs the Hillary people in addition to self versus officially diagnosed.

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 10:49 pm

Hey, could ask one of your localized Autism groups as no doubt they would know, also contact the blind service dog groups as they are very strict when it comes to their guide dogs and some dont quit make the cut but would be awesome for someone like yourself, or if keen train them up from a pup, also make sure they have right paperwork and check breeds as some are great house dogs and some are really for outdoors, like my last dog ( Malamute!) Also hip scores as this is also an important factor as certain crossbreeds can develop nasty development disorders depending on where they are bred, but if company is legit, the likely hood is that they will have all this info.. They are amazing creatures, if only people were as loyal! lol.... Best of luck! :)

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 1:15 pm

Simmian7 wrote:
wozeree wrote:

i was at that point once a couple years back. it's been an uphill struggle to get balanced, and now i feel almost back at square one in the struggle.

good luck with getting a service dog. from what i have read, you won't get one right away. i think it takes like a year and tons of charity hours or something like that. but don't let it stop you.

Sorry you are having so many problems, it's just made tougher that nobody really understands why we have these problems. I can't honestly say that my job hasn't tried to help me out with some of the sensory issues, but it gets to a point where they just seem to think I'm being whiny. They just don't get it.

Are you finding any relief?

I think what what I'm going to have to do is get a dog and pay for a private trainer, then do some of it myself. I don't think my job can stop me legally from brining a service dog to work, but I won't try to bring it in until it's trained anyway. I can imagine certain people raising a racket over it no matter how trained it is.

Even if I don't get diagnosed with Autism (which would be weird because I'm like poster woman for Autism), I think I can still get one for sensory issues.

Donald Trump, ha. I can just imagine the fighting.

lordfakename
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Aug 2016, 4:51 pm

Service cats look like a much better idea: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35797084

(I'm biased as I'm allergic to dogs)

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2016, 3:01 pm

I have been thinking more and more of turning my Pit Bull/Lab mix, Rory, into a service dog. I know I'll have to train him and he will have to pass some tests, but he's pretty smart and I think he would do well.

From what I know, you can train any dog to be a service dog or get on a list to receive a pre-trained one. I believe I heard that the lists are long and it can take a long time to get one if you go that route. I don't know a lot, and please correct me if I'm wrong on any of that.

Good luck, and I'm doing alright, thank you :)