Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 6:19 pm

My name is Parker and I'm not really happy with it. I've always liked the name Mike though, and it's basically become my official nickname. I am addressed as Mike about as much as I am addressed by my real name at this point.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 6:24 pm

Hey Mike!

momofmax
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Aug 2016, 7:17 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^mee too :alien: if only my last name were Asperger, then my initials would be BA and at least i'd have a BA in something. :star: as it is, I just have a BM.Image

My mom's intials are BS :lol:

momofmax

15 Aug 2016, 7:18 pm

mikeman7918 wrote:
My name is Parker and I'm not really happy with it. I've always liked the name Mike though, and it's basically become my official nickname. I am addressed as Mike about as much as I am addressed by my real name at this point.

Parker is one of my all time favorite boy names. Love it!! ! :heart:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 7:21 pm

momofmax wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
^^^mee too :alien: if only my last name were Asperger, then my initials would be BA and at least i'd have a BA in something. :star: as it is, I just have a BM.Image

My mom's intials are BS :lol:

betty-sue?

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 11:43 pm

OCDgirl - Claim your name!! ! Go do it. You can change it legally if you want. But as an adult, if you tell them to call you Fred, people will likely do it. Your parents and family will likely always call you Alisha, but who cares? Be you. Get a name that sounds good. I like "Jackie." Its cute!

traven
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2016, 12:17 pm

only when others say it, luckily that is a limited circle, most people assume something else and few take the courtesy to say it right
i don't know if it's the name or idea, it always sounds like the start of a discipline, or a way to get me out of my head and prodded into the(ir) world

AutieUberAlles

16 Aug 2016, 1:57 pm

I am not Asperger though, I am a Danziger.

Hermissinglink
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2016, 7:30 am

I have often thought about changing my name. I think I don´t handle thinks that are not in my control. Others name on me I can´t decide. I tried for a while different names on Facebook. But I have not found "me" jet. Maybe because I am not human. Just an aileen on this earth ;) I like my name, it is nothing wrong about it, it is just that I don´t know about it is me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 7:32 am

When I was growing up, the search for the Missing Link between man and apes was prominent on anthropologists' minds.

I didn't like my name as a kid; I'm sort of neutral about it now. I can't think of any alternatives; I am what I am.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 8:11 am

I must like it since I used it as my user name.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 8:13 am

^ I like the "S" aspect of your name because it was the name of the New York Mets Stadium until 2009.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 8:27 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
^ I like the "S" aspect of your name because it was the name of the New York Mets Stadium until 2009.

There was a Starbuck stadium? hehe. I actually knew about the stadium part, but not that it was for the NY Mets.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 8:49 am

Yep....as Lindsay Nelson, past Mets announcer used to say, we used to go to "Beautiful Shea Stadium."

LittleLu
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Aug 2016, 8:55 am

This is why I go by Lu. XD

My birth name is Hailey, but it stresses me out when I hear it, mostly for gender-related reasons. I feel androgynous, and Hailey is a cute, feminine name. I don't mind cute, but it has a lot of previous attachment to it that I feel uncomfortable with, namely because it's the name everyone knows me by in my old church community where I was forced to wear very feminine dresses and act in a certain way. Seeing as how I hate that community now and have broken away from it, I no longer feel comfortable holding that name or hearing people use it.

Anyone here actually legally changed their name because they've been so uncomfortable with it?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 9:18 am

For what it's worth, Hailey is actually a pretty gender-neutral sort of name.

I'm wondering if it, through "evolution," somehow acquired a "feminine reputation," like "Ashley" did. Ashley was meant to be gender-neutral, too. All it means is something like a "clearing in an ash-tree forest."