Unemployment despite higher education for Asperger People

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2016, 12:12 am

I have a bachelor's degree in English and have been unemployed or underemployed since graduation.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 6:52 am

I suppose this really is the common reality for many (highly educated) people with Asperger's Syndrome.

At least there is no reason to feel bad about it, seeing that we cannot reasonably blaim ourselves - we were simply not born to live the kind of social life that many jobs require.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 8:45 am

BeaArthur wrote:
If a person does not want to be one of these unemployed, highly-degreed types, then they need to do everything possible to improve their odds. This would include (a) selecting a degree and field that has a strong need for workers, and this is projected to continue into the future; (b) aggressively obtaining "extras" during their education that improve employability, such as internships and relevant summer jobs or volunteer work; (c) and make a point of improving their weaker social skills, through networking, group projects, study groups, and professional friendships.

One thing that sticks out like a sore thumb for job seekers (with a higher education degree) is lack of experience within the field of study. To often people will make it though the graduate programs without having worked an internship (or two) to allow them a way into their career choice. Employers see them as "zero experience" candidates and move them to the bottom of the pile. This is especially valid in the chemical industry sector. Higher education jobs (ie. teaching at a college/university) can be a bit more forgiving in that aspect.

In many instances, it is not the degree on the wall but who do you know that gets you the job. I know that I favorably influenced a hiring committee that was interviewing me because of some of the people that I worked under as an undergrad just happened to be collaborators for some of their projects. (I did not plan it that way it just happened in the interview process naturally.) It was not the only factor that got me hired for the position that I have now, but it did help move me up the choice list.

I would say networking can be one of the biggest factors to getting "in" on a job position. However, that is something that is usually gravely underdeveloped for those on the spectrum. Luckily for me, one of my close friends used to teach business classes at a large university and was well versed in how to bring me up to snuff on some of those skills. I had to practice hard with others that I knew to be able to do some of the "traditional networking", something that comes natural to most NT people. It was initially difficult for me to reach out to others to ask them for help in looking for a job, but in the end, it paid off.

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2016, 6:10 pm

I neglected internships and such (I have some...just not much) so that I could concentrate on a) graduating on time and b) graduating with a high GPA. I wish someone would've told me grades don't mean crap to employers.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 10:17 pm

LookWhoItIs wrote:
Are there cases of Aspies able to obtain GAINFUL (key word here...I'm not counting jobs that just pay minimum wage or slightly more) employment outside of STEM?

I just never had an aptitude for STEM (I have NVLD). I do have degrees in a non-STEM field.

The library field has plenty of Aspies with MLIS degrees.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 10:20 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:
LookWhoItIs wrote:
Are there cases of Aspies able to obtain GAINFUL (key word here...I'm not counting jobs that just pay minimum wage or slightly more) employment outside of STEM?

I just never had an aptitude for STEM (I have NVLD). I do have degrees in a non-STEM field.

The library field has plenty of Aspies with MLIS degrees.

That's probably what I should have done.

There Are Four Lights!

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 10:52 pm

My degree program (in Commercial Art) required an internship, and I thought it really helped. It does give you valuable experience and get you used to working in a skilled field. I recommend doing an internship even if it's not required, as it can also get you work contacts, suggestions for next steps, and even lead to a full-time position.

I've also heard job fairs are a good place to go, although I've never tried one.

When I was starting out, I was getting some really low-paying jobs even though they were in my field. I had some experience but not a lot, so I worked as a temp/freelancer for a while to gain software skills and learn about the business (which was mostly print design back then). It also got me less afraid of being in new places.

I've had some unemployment periods but not long ones, but I've had more of a tendency to get jobs for which I am overqualified, or for which I am very much underpaid. I've noticed that other people who were hired at the same time as me received promotions more often and for more money. My boss says I have great technical and artistic skill (I design web sites now) but I am always tripped up my my lack of organization. I struggle to stick to a budget and meet deadlines. My social skills have gradually improved, but I'm still uncertain about when it's okay to say no to an unreasonable client or how to make friends.

When all things remain equal (like talent or knowledge), social skills will be those extra advantages that are so elusive for me.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 11:15 pm

It doesn't seem that way to me because most other autistic people I know do have jobs. There's also some who have jobs, but no college degree.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 1:52 am

While I do not think the unemployment rate is near the 85 percent usually touted based on one study based on reading a lot of posts here and elsewhere, attending support groups I believe it to be a major problem.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 1:08 pm

I have BSc degree and haven't finished my MSc thesis yet. I have no occupational experience.

I am afraid of job marked. I do not want to end in poverty or as a cheap workforce.

WaysOff
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Oct 2016, 4:08 am

I'm mostly unemployed. What work I do is for peanuts.

I have an MA and left grad school before getting my PhD. I'm one of those social science/humanities types, so maybe that's my problem. Well, people in that crowd are always forwarding articles on Facebook about humanities grads who 'got creative' and got into unplanned (yet lucrative) careers by selling themselves in a creative fashion. I'm not like that. I was gunning for an assistant professorship, and that's all I knew how to do. Now I am unmoored. I don't know what to do, or how to proceed, now that I am not on a 'track.'

ALADDIN_1978
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2022, 6:34 am

I have late diagnoses of dyspraxia, ADHD and Aspergers traits .

Dyspraxia is most severe condition. I have poor manual skils, poor coordination, get tired because of dyspraxia.

ADHD, makes it hard to hold down a boring job .

I have anxiety

I got a degree , pgdip undiagnosed.

High unemployment graduates with autism, ADHD, dyspraxia, dyslexia.

There is little awareness, support .

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 7:00 am

Some Aspies can actually be good workplace communicators if they are highly qualified and enjoy their job (like if it's a special interest too).

Some NTs can be bad workplace communicators, if they're the lazy, ignorant sort that can't be bothered to co-operate. I've worked with NTs before who want it their way or no way, which caused a lot of arguments among the other workers, all because some of them got too big for their boots.

ALADDIN_1978
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2022, 7:53 am

I agree some NT people are lazy , maybe a small portion have mental health issues .

I think some autistic people can have good communication skills .

My community skills are not the best because of dyspraxia and ADHD.

The autistic people might have dyspraxia, ADHD etc .

I do not really identify myself as autistic .

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 8:05 am

Impulse Control. My biggest problem right now. Staying on target and not bouncing around, spontaneously switching to something “more interesting” or “more addictive” instead of my assigned work. Also (not sure why this hasn’t been mentioned) people skills. I have a bachelors degree in Computer Science. But people skills matter. For getting a job and keeping a job.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 8:18 am

I don't have many skills for dealing with the general public but my communicating skills with co-workers are OK.

The thing that holds me back at work is crying uncontrollably whenever someone speaks to me in a certain tone. I get oversensitive and embarrassed and I can't help the waterworks. I have to run off somewhere private to let it out. Some may call me weak, others may think it's easy to tell me to control it. But I can't. So if a member of the public yells at me, I won't have anywhere private to go and I'll just tremble and panic in front of everyone. Some customers can get very verbally abusive when they're not satisfied, even if it's not your fault.