Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2016, 5:28 am

Do you think it would do me some good to get some exercise at a local gym? (Before giving your thoughts, please keep in mind that I'm not good around people and that I don't take failure very well.)

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2016, 8:40 am

I dunno. Maybe? While I have always liked to go to gyms because of equipment variety, I find them really hard to deal with because of sensory related issues... so many people, lights, sounds, motion, smells, blah blah blah. I found it most helpful (when I was going... I just do things at home now) to go at low traffic times, like 5am. That might be helpful to you if it is an option... then you wouldn't have to stress being around many people. As for failure, set realistic goals for yourself and that should not be a huge thing. Maybe a good first goal could be just getting there or finding a place where you would feel most comfortable... which can be a huge thing on its own and definitely worth metaphorical cookies.

Sai
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Aug 2016, 11:52 am

I've got used to my gym just fine. I had a small freakout when they changed the layout and equipment a few years ago, but everything's OK again now. I tend to take headphones to block out some of the noise though. Good luck!

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 7:34 pm

See if you can get a trial membership or one-month membership that can convert into a longer contract, if you have any doubt about this. You don't want to be stuck paying for a facility you never use.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 2:47 pm

I am thinking about joining my local gym, too.

The price for the year is extremely reasonable, their facilities are good and the staff are friendly and helpful. However, despite what they offer, I remain apprehensive about joining. My physique is what you would call 'skinny fat', and to use a weight machine would be rather daunting.

Sai

24 Aug 2016, 3:48 pm

Jake - ask a staff member to show you how to use the equipment. If in doubt, look it up on youtube afterwards!

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 4:00 pm

Sai wrote:
Jake - ask a staff member to show you how to use the equipment. If in doubt, look it up on youtube afterwards!

I have communication difficulties, thus asking a member of staff about the gym's equipment would present me with somewhat of a problem. Unsurprisingly my levels of anxiety heighten when I am faced with new situations, which would invariably lead to even bigger problems.

But I do appreciate your advice, Sai. :D

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 4:28 pm

Well, I have a suggestion for a gym...

Pros:
No membership fees...
Lots of personal space...
Open 24/7...
No waiting in line to use the equipment...

Cons:
The air-conditioning can be *very* unpredictable...

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2016, 10:21 am

LonelyJar wrote:
Do you think it would do me some good to get some exercise at a local gym? (Before giving your thoughts, please keep in mind that I'm not good around people and that I don't take failure very well.)

If you don't take failure very well, avoid all the running machines, yin and yang teachers, and women.

The guy I had yesterday was pretty camp, but that didn't faze me, my friend at college was like this and I found him good in the realm of sports and anything retail. An eye for clothing brands, one might say, but that isn't the only thing we had in common. The City of Love, Paris rang a few bells for us there.

Have you tried pay and go gyms, where they don't offer strict rules on membership? This is a straightforward way of dealing with the dilemma you face but- LonelyJar, you need to find out which rules would be applicable to your taste and, structural way of thinking.