Total votes : 15

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 8:41 pm

Quote:
just gimme the @#$% ice cream!

i'm lactose intolerant :(

i'm living with my parents and saving all the money i can. considering how much i make compared to my expenses, i'm nearly "rich". i'm saving money faster than my parents ever did, and i can afford to travel overseas (which sometimes i do). but that's not leisure or entertainment. it's for my sanity. "something to do with my life". i don't trust my ability to keep making money in the long term, so this money isn't meant for spending

as i said in another thread, there was a time when i did live for a short while right in the middle of an "american dream" neighborhood. before that, i was wary and suspicious of the whole thing. since then, i just downright abhor it. it's a twisted mentality. so much guilt-tripping with all the things you're "supposed to be grateful for" regardless if you feel your life has any meaning. there's a rhetoric of modesty but a very materialistic outlook on life in practice

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 3:22 am

shlaifu wrote:
The American Dream is a home, car and a well entertained family of four?

I thought it was becoming whatever you wanted to be, including rich.
THIS American dream sounds better realized in Europe, where the tap water is drinkable and consumer safety is higher.
But it's ver very hard to become a disruptive tech billionaire, a black president, or a hollywood star here.
In Europe, we don't have dreams, we have social security, high taxes and free education.
If that's what Americans are dreaming of, ... You're invited to come over.
But listen, the self-driving car won't be a European invention.

i'd trade with you in a new York second!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 3:23 am

the people who can easily afford the American dream tend to look down their noses at the rest of us. I think of it more like the American lotto than the American dream.