Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

bdc8705
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Aug 2016, 4:08 pm

hes actually not that into computers, hes only just started wanting to look at my ipad or touch the screen in anyway. ive tried lots of times to get him to use it, as i thought maybe those toddler games woukd help him learn words but he wasnt having part of that. I wonder now if perhaps that is him wanting to be stubborn or control the situation

bu a device to speak for him is scertainot something im open to if he doesnt talk soon, i really desparately want him to speak, but more than that i think id like for him to communicate his wants and likes to me

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 10:07 pm

bdc8705 wrote:
For those of you who are non verbal is there anything I can do now to help my son learn to communicate without words? Is there anything you think would have helped you more? Or anything you feel made things worse?

Being put under too much pressure makes it worse. But then again I've been pushed plenty of times during speech therapy. I think what's helped the most is feeling understood and positive support. I mean even if my parents didn't always understand, they acted understanding.

bdc8705 wrote:
Also I hope you don't mind my asking, as I know it's quite personal (so don't answer if you don't want to) if you do not talk or talk very little is it because you can't physically talk or do you choose not to?

That's a good question because in my case at least it's a combination of classic autism, selective mutism and dyspraxia (apraxia of speech). The autism, which was more severe when I was little, kept me from forming language skills, and then the dyspraxia makes it physically difficult to speak, which all leads to me not wanting to talk much.

bdc8705
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Aug 2016, 8:22 am

thank you for sharing that with me! do you type to talk to your parents, teachers, peers etc? donthey just then read it and respond verbally to you? or do you have a device that speaks what ypu type?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 8:38 am

bdc8705 wrote:
thank you for sharing that with me! do you type to talk to your parents, teachers, peers etc? donthey just then read it and respond verbally to you? or do you have a device that speaks what ypu type?

I have both. But rarely use the voice deal. Which I can also do on my phone. The joke is most people, especially teens do most of their talking through texting anyways. Ans lots of times I use hand gestures.

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2016, 9:03 am

bdc8705 wrote:
For those of you who are non verbal is there anything I can do now to help my son learn to communicate without words? Is there anything you think would have helped you more? Or anything you feel made things worse?

Also I hope you don't mind my asking, as I know it's quite personal (so don't answer if you don't want to) if you do not talk or talk very little is it because you can't physically talk or do you choose not to?

I use an electronic device, be it a cellphone, laptop or whatever, if it has a keypad, I'm set. The worse thing is people trying to force you to talk when you physically cannot and getting mad when you don't "comply." Moderate autism and mild brain damage kinda makes it not possible to adequately verbalize. I remember spending a half hour trying to answer the question"what do you enjoy?" no matter how hard I tried to enunciate, all I could manage was "uddzull." I finally grabbed my phone and showed them a pic of a castle, which was what I was trying to say.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 7:46 pm

At almost 4 years old, my speech was only one word responses. Babbling was limited to start with. I repeated what my mom told me say immediately (otherwise I wouldn't by myself) once I could.

KanyeWestFan
Toucan
Toucan

18 Aug 2016, 8:06 pm

I didn't speak a single word until I was 3, I only spoke in random sounds

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 12:18 am

League_Girl wrote:
I didn't start talking until I was four. I had a history of ear infections and hearing loss and had tubes put in. But I was still left language delayed and had a language impairment. My mother did her own speech therapy with me. She did use it in a ABA way by giving me M&Ms for making a sound during therapy. She also did flashcards with me and try and have me say the words. I didn't start to speak a lot until I was six but I was still language delayed.

I had a similar story, only i could talk. The doctors expected me to have delayed speech but it was normal. But i did have a history of chronic ear infections and needed tubes inserted as well. I think there was a 70% drop in my hearing or something. Luckily i was very young and everything turned out ok.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com