Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2016, 8:29 am

BeaArthur wrote:
... but sometimes he does things so stupid I find myself yelling at him. This is not cool. So I am trying to stay as mellow as possible and not make the kinds of demands on myself that make me tense and short-tempered. We see the neurologist again next week.

My mother has deteriorating executive function (my diagnosis,) and she does stupid things sometimes and says things that don't make sense; and I realize she hasn't really known what's going on, but has been pretending to. I get snappy too and I think it's out of fear as much as anger. I realize she is slipping away. I make an effort not to do this as well.

Noca wrote:
Physiotherapy is covered by OHIP if you go to certain clinics that accept it and you have a doctor's prescription.

Cool.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 8:42 pm

So I saw my GP about my shoulder and she sent me for x-rays and a scan. The technician had me hold my arm in painful positions while she got the images. My shoulder is still sore.

I really hope they can do something about it as the pain is exceeding that of my hip and my mobility is extremely limited. I got stuck in the wrap-around gown they give you at the lab because I couldn't move my arm back to take it out of the sleeve. The technician had to do it for me.

I am really starting to lose it and may have to post in the Haven. I feel like I'm a squished insect that is struggling to move it's unnaturally bent limbs. I can't sleep anymore because I keep waking up, even with pain medication.

I'm not sure why my shoulder is so painful now. Maybe because of the humidity making everything swell. The incident in which I was injured happened a number of years ago; but it has never been this bad.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 8:56 pm

the two main problems with ibuprofen are stomach irritation including bleeding and kidney failure. to lessen the chances, take an acid blocker (zantac, pepcid, nexium) and drink plenty of fluids.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 9:25 pm

cathylynn wrote:
the two main problems with ibuprofen are stomach irritation including bleeding and kidney failure. to lessen the chances, take an acid blocker (zantac, pepcid, nexium) and drink plenty of fluids.

The Meloxicam helps, but often leaves me uncoordinated and feeling weird. My stomach does hurt all the time and I'm always thirsty.
I hope to hear from my doctor soon with the results of the imaging.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 6:19 am

Androbot, I really would like to see you getting some advanced pain treatment. All I mean by that is you need to work closely with a physical therapy program. It sounds like the pain issues are piling up on top of each other and I could see you becoming totally helpless with this, if all you are doing for it is meds. The right stretches, pressure releases, nerve releases, etc. (those are all nontechnical terms). You also need general exercise for circulation, etc., but if you aren't careful you could make this worse.

Sending you my kindest wishes.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 6:20 am

oopsie, double post.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 7:31 am

BeaArthur wrote:
Androbot, I really would like to see you getting some advanced pain treatment. All I mean by that is you need to work closely with a physical therapy program. It sounds like the pain issues are piling up on top of each other and I could see you becoming totally helpless with this, if all you are doing for it is meds. The right stretches, pressure releases, nerve releases, etc. (those are all nontechnical terms). You also need general exercise for circulation, etc., but if you aren't careful you could make this worse.

Thank you. Mine to you.

Well, I talked to my GP about pain and she seemed to think that physiotherapy was not covered, but that depending on the results of the imaging, surgery might be an option. If the prognosis is good I'd go for it; I'm interested to know what the shoulder diagnosis is. But my lumbo/sacral issues aren't going to go away. When I return to my doctor's I must ask her about a note to get a reduced rate at the salt pool.

And I have to get immunized tomorrow because I'm going to be volunteering at the mental health hospital. I don't like getting shots as I once had a bad reaction to a polio vaccine. I couldn't move my arm for a couple of hours and it felt like it was going to burst. But that was a long time ago.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Aug 2016, 7:38 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
. Recently a "frozen shoulder" was so extreme that if I just moved my arm slightly the pain was so at a "10" that I would scream, literally involuntarily.

I woke one morning with frozen shoulder, just as you describe, the slightest movement caused extreme pain. Couldn't dress myself, and I live alone. Web and doctor said the same thing: no cure, it'll go away by itself in 2 years. Then my Scottish cousin whose son is a shepherd (broken wrists) told me to get this:

http://www.wellnessmarketer.com/Magneti ... _sale.aspx

I'd never tried copper before but I was desperate. I broke the bank and bought this one (the more copper the merrier):

http://www.wellnessmarketer.com/handmad ... rsage.aspx

In *two days* I could reach for the salt at table without pain. It got progressively all better fast. I lend it to trusted friends for a week and they by their own. I feel obliged to tell everybody!

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 1:09 pm

NSAIDs don't cause thirst. they make the kidneys less able to protect themselves when you are dehydrated. you should let your doc know you are always thirsty.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 5:01 pm

androbot01 wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:

Thank you. Mine to you.

Well, I talked to my GP about pain and she seemed to think that physiotherapy was not covered, but that depending on the results of the imaging, surgery might be an option. If the prognosis is good I'd go for it; I'm interested to know what the shoulder diagnosis is. But my lumbo/sacral issues aren't going to go away. When I return to my doctor's I must ask her about a note to get a reduced rate at the salt pool.

And I have to get immunized tomorrow because I'm going to be volunteering at the mental health hospital. I don't like getting shots as I once had a bad reaction to a polio vaccine. I couldn't move my arm for a couple of hours and it felt like it was going to burst. But that was a long time ago.

Not all physiotherapy clinics accept OHIP, but some do. Do what I did, and phone around your city asking each one if they accept OHIP or if they know of any clinics that do. As long as you have a doctor's prescription for physiotherapy, and you can find a clinic that accepts OHIP patients, then yeah physiotherapy is covered in Ontario with a Health card and prescription. Doctors are often clueless about the government funded resources in their communities, they leave it to the patient to do their job of finding such resources. Sadly that is the way Ontario's healthcare system works. You have to know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy, to know what's available. Kingston should be a large enough city to have such clinics somewhere.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 5:06 pm

cathylynn wrote:

Add increased risk of heart attack and stroke for all NSAIDs except for Aspirin.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/fda- ... 1507138138

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Aug 2016, 5:54 pm

Noca wrote:
Kingston should be a large enough city to have such clinics somewhere.

I found this in Google - wasn't sure which one to choose so I'm sending it all
https://www.google.ca/#q=ohip+covered+p ... y+kingston

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 5:57 pm

cathylynn wrote:
NSAIDs don't cause thirst. they make the kidneys less able to protect themselves when you are dehydrated. you should let your doc know you are always thirsty.

Shouldn't a patient who is always thirsty also be checked for diabetes?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 6:02 pm

Noca wrote:
Doctors are often clueless about the government funded resources in their communities, they leave it to the patient to do their job of finding such resources.

Hell, doctors are often clueless about what physical therapy is! Their only resources are meds, or surgery, because after all, they are not trained in physical therapy! (They also know next to nothing about nutrition, but that's another story for another day.)

Andro, if you are being pushed toward surgery, DEFINITELY get a second opinion and also insist on "trying a conservative approach first" (i.e., physical therapy). Surgeons will usually downplay the risks and talk up the virtues of a surgery, so although technically they have informed you, there is a strong slant in the direction of surgery. Be skeptical! (politely)

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2016, 6:00 am

cathylynn wrote:

Okay. I will mention it to her. Thanks.

Claradoon wrote:
I found this in Google - wasn't sure which one to choose so I'm sending it all...

Found this from your list. Cool. Thanks.

Physiotherapy Kingston and Spinal Rehab Centre wrote:
'In 2013 the Ontario Ministry of Health (OMH) changed it’s policy regarding access to physiotherapy services to the public. Physiotherapy Kingston and Spinal Rehab Centre is proud to be awarded the first extension and only new addition to their roster in the city of Kingston. This permits us at Physiotherapy Kingston and Spinal Rehab Centre to broaden our access to a public that we never could assist before. Through this MOH initiative and a referral for your doctor or Nurse Practitioner, we can now provide Episodes of Care (EOC) to people over 65 and under 19 clients on Ontario Disability Support Pension (ODSP) and Ontario Works as well as people requiring post operative rehab.

Noca wrote:
As long as you have a doctor's prescription for physiotherapy, and you can find a clinic that accepts OHIP patients, then yeah physiotherapy is covered in Ontario with a Health card and prescription. Doctors are often clueless about the government funded resources in their communities, they leave it to the patient to do their job of finding such resources. Sadly that is the way Ontario's healthcare system works.

Yes, a lot of things I have had to find out by myself, especially regarding mental health services.

BeaArthur wrote:
Andro, if you are being pushed toward surgery, DEFINITELY get a second opinion and also insist on "trying a conservative approach first" (i.e., physical therapy). Surgeons will usually downplay the risks and talk up the virtues of a surgery, so although technically they have informed you, there is a strong slant in the direction of surgery. Be skeptical! (politely)

For sure. Those surgeons are always eager with the knife.

Thanks for all the advice. I will let my doctor know that some physiotherapists work with ODSP, although I doubt it will interest her.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2016, 9:58 pm

Simply ask your doctor for a prescription for physio. The western medical way mandates that even if a doctor is aware of alternative means of treatment, even if approved by FDA/Health Canada for the condition in question, even if the doctor agrees with such treatment option, thou shall never volunteer such options until thy patient brings them up and specifically asks for them.

Speaking of finding mental health resources, this psychiatrist I saw at the mental health hospital here was clueless about mental health resources available even in the very same hospital she worked in everyday lol! That's how useless they are.