What do you think of when you hear the word disorder

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 9:22 am

when your snack gets caught on the very end of the dispencer and wont fall down to the retreival tray. lol

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

agentcyclosarin
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 9:24 am

Danielismyname wrote:
I
How would you happen to know that I've never had an IQ of =<70, or over >150; I've had both.

Yes, generally...objectively we are socially ret*d: the extent of which equates to how well you can function in modern society.

Same. IQ is not specific enough and generally means nothing. You're brilliant in one aspect and dumber than s**t in another.

TylerPaul
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 May 2007, 12:12 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
I was never aware that my mind state and how I acted was any different to my peers; when I never spoke, when I never understood their derision, when I could never learn anything due to the social environment that mainstream schooling is; until a month or two ago…I “awoke” to some extent. I’m still deciding if it was better to wake up or not.

I assumed that I was different, yes…but not to the extent I now see I was; I mean, I didn’t speak and interact how everyone else did; I bounced a ball around and threw it in hoops like everyone else, the same as everyone else; my motor skills are normal…. Words don’t make a good basketball player. I couldn't understand why I was different until I read some words that were written by psychics and psychos after I started deducing stuff my psychic was telling and asking me....

How would you happen to know that I've never had an IQ of =<70, or over >150; I've had both.

Yes, generally...objectively we are socially ret*d: the extent of which equates to how well you can function in modern society.

Your right. I can't speak for everyone but everyone seems to be speaking for themselves just fine which is more than the ret*d can do. You didn't understand the differences but you understood they existed. And you didn't begin understand your condition till you read about it. None of which the ret*d generally do.... I assume (that's all I can do because I am not)

Social anxiety does not make you ret*d. Thinking differently does not make you ret*d. Having nothing in commen with others does not make you ret*d. It's a shame that it can effect the lives of aspies so much but it's certainly not a good reason to think less of yourself. And I've got a Big Ol' f**k You to the ass backwardness of modern society. If modern society made any sense you wouldn't even be in the position to consider this on yourself.

ret*d in it's most general unoffensive definition possible, sure, but everyone else is just as ret*d because they can't relate to us either. Same difference.

And I hate the fact that I keep on using the word ret*d. I hate the word just as much as fag.

agentcyclosarin
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 12:15 pm

TylerPaul wrote:

Your right. I can't speak for everyone but everyone seems to be speaking for themselves just fine which is more than the ret*d can do. You didn't understand the differences but you understood they existed. And you didn't begin understand your condition till you read about it. None of which the ret*d generally do.... I assume (that's all I can do because I am not)

Social anxiety does not make you ret*d. Thinking differently does not make you ret*d. Having nothing in commen with others does not make you ret*d. It's a shame that it can effect the lives of aspies so much but it's certainly not a good reason to think less of yourself. And I've got a Big Ol' f**k You to the ass backwardness of modern society. If modern society made any sense you wouldn't even be in the position to consider this on yourself.

ret*d in it's most general unoffensive definition possible, sure, but everyone else is just as ret*d because they can't relate to us either. Same difference.

And I hate the fact that I keep on using the word ret*d. I hate the word just as much as fag.

Agreed and said perfectly.
It seems in modern society acting like an irrational baboon all the time and succumbing to the trends and social demands like a driveling clone is the cool thing to do.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 11:24 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
It is like saying the person was of the normal/NT group to begin with,and then happened to be changed to not normal,as the person is born Autistic,it is normal to that person,so it is not disorded.

What about any of the genetic disorders that a person can be born with? Just because you're born with something doesn't mean it's not a disorder.

When I think disorder, I think it means that someone has some kind of impairment of functioning.

Bekki
Raven
Raven

08 May 2007, 4:24 pm

disorder means chaos and i am chaos, but I much prefer the word chaos.

OMGpenguin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 May 2007, 12:47 am

I think of all the other people walking around with little clocks in their heads that work perfectly fine, and for all my life, I always thought mine was ticking in time. But it's not. And that makes me sad.

TylerPaul
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 May 2007, 3:21 pm

Don't be sad. It's good to be different. Those who are different are my favorites.

Cliff
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 May 2007, 6:19 am

Disorder in the context of Personality Disorder is an NT term for tendencies or personality type. It suggests that something is not functioning correctly, which I find insulting sometimes. (on the other hand, sometimes I'm not functioning correctly!) NT persons seem to have a fear of the unusual or non-average and a tendency to fall victim to Groupthink. Probably a safety or coping mechanism. Maybe genetically programmed. If something doesn't fit the mold or is outside the box, then it is a Disorder or Defect! I suspect that Asperger people are probably a pre cursor to the new people of the future; this evolution being necessitated by the acceleration of technology and the objective scientific thinking that goes with it!

Cliff A.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 10:16 am

i think of joydivision

ixochiyo_yohuallan
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 12:20 pm

Light grayish-brown, white and deep red.

The chaos in my room when I've been working hard on a translation I have to hand in next morning.

A disturbed (another "grayish-brown" word) person with an absent look who is hallucinating and talking to him- or herself.

Prudence
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2007, 12:21 pm

I think of a messy room, heh.

When I hear the term "disability," I think "ret*d." :(