This is the most important election of my life because I'm autistic

Page 1 of 26 [ 403 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next

alex
Developer
Developer

17 Aug 2016, 10:33 am

Many people are calling this the most important election of our lives. That’s certainly true for me because I’m autistic. This is the first election in the history of the United States where disability rights and autism are playing a central role. This is the first election where individuals with disabilities have been in the spotlight at a convention. This is the first election where a candidate has focused on disability in a convention speech. Unfortunately, this is also the first election where a candidate has mocked those of us with disabilities. Putting aside my personal politics, I would find ...

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 11:04 am

There's a very strong possibility that the next president will also appoint our next supreme court justice, so it won't be 4-8 years of just Trump's vision, but an entire generation of a Trump/Pence appointee tipping the scales.

alex
Developer
Developer

17 Aug 2016, 11:17 am

The next president will likely appoint multiple justices actually. It's pretty certain that the next one will be appointed by the winner of this election.

lordfakename
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Aug 2016, 12:25 pm

I, erm, misread an 'r' for an 'l' in that title and thought this thread would be about something rather different

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 1:31 pm

Well yes, it's hardly surprising to me that the right-wing party doesn't want the disabled to have benefits, respect, rights, inclusion, etc. It's been axiomatic to me for some time that disability rights and left-wing politics are strongly associated. But I've not seen the disability issue so polarised before, as it is with the Trump thing. I'm lucky to live in the UK where we've even got a Conservative peer rooting for autistic folks.

ScoeyB
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Aug 2016, 3:36 pm

Alex: This is why I and so many love you so much. You are indeed a worthy spokesperson for the autistic community. I know I speak for many when I say: You fill us with pride. Thank you!

Diamond: I don't think it's so much that they (right wing) doesn't WANT the disabled to have "etc." for the disabled as much as they don't consider people with disabilities to be important to their elections. This was something Alex shone a spotlight upon and is yet another reason the GOP needs a "checkup from the neck up", or more accurately, from the center of the chest, behind the sternum, a little to the left. They supposedly had one after Romney, a "postmortem" they called it, which made headlines, in big bold print that said: BE MORE INCLUSIVE. Clearly, the majority of the GOP has doubled down on exclusive, and so we have Trump. You don't get more EXCLUSIVE than Trump. If only more people woke up to that. Trump's never hidden that.

Fakename: (sarcastic)Really? That's not a very likely headline for an op-ed from Alex. It makes no sense. Besides, what exactly is a "Rife" anyway? ;-)

My $3.50:
As Alex touched upon, my hope for the Clinton campaign and (hopefully) the second Clinton presidency in regard to "people with disabilities" is that we cancel out the whole need for "PC" language to describe those with autism, those without hearing, or those whose cognitive abilities preclude them from feeling empathy with those who are different from them. I hope that we are no longer labeled as anything but "different but equal".

Like anyone, people with what we call "disabilities" by our current cultural/linguistic configuration, are different from other people in their own way. People who are NOT presently recognized as disabled but MAY be one day, like people who have an underdeveloped part of the brain that promotes empathy, are already familiar with the idea of people being different but equal. Whether it's "race" (another terrible misnomer), gender, height or hair color, most enlightened people are already capable of accepting people with those differences as their equals.

The need for "PC" language will disappear once true acceptance is the norm. Like comedian Amy Schumer said in an interview today, and as Simone Manuel said after winning an individual swimming medal, the first African-American woman to do so, we need to get to a point where Amy is not told "You're my favorite FEMALE comedian." and where Simone's skin color is no longer a newsworthy notation when describing her achievements.

We also need to get to where Alex, for example, can be introduced to a symposium simply as a "social entrepreneur" and speak from THAT aspect of his identity, not necessarily prefaced with "autistic social entrepreneur". Yes, there are situations where that introduction is appropriate, as when he's specifically talking about autism. But perhaps Alex would like to be asked to speak about his experiences as the creator of a social media site and all that such an endeavor entails.

In any situation in which a "different but equal" person may require some form of accommodation, that obviously calls for some attention focused on their difference, but socially speaking, when referring to them as a person, such a distinction should be RARE and only when specific to a question or relevant reason.

I'm not proposing a new "PC" term in "different but equal". I'm really proposing not to use any such labels. I'm proposing a new way of people interacting with and respecting differences without defining us by them. That's not "P.C.". That's etiquette. That's decency.

I know, I'm no Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., but that's a nice dream too, and it is really part of King's as well.

Can I get an "amen"?

jkrane
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 5:11 pm

Hillary is an evil globalist, who takes money from Saudi terrorists to fund her campaign.

She also is suffering from seizures and vascular dementia. She is unfit to serve as President of the United States. Her husband, Bill is a cocaine abusing pedophile (See Jefferey Epstein's Lolita Express Jet).

I'm for Gary Johnson of the Libertarian party. However, he lacks the support that he needs to win.

My second choice is Donald Trump, and I'm behind him 100%.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 5:27 pm

Obviously, there is no need to cheer one candidate over another, or resort to name-calling of either candidate when the facts that strike closest to home for Aspies and others on the Autistic Spectrum are so readily available.

Alex wrote:
... Last month’s Democratic National Convention placed a high value on inclusion for those with disabilities. Anastasia Somoza, a graduate of the London School of Economics with cerebral palsy and spastic quadriplegia, gave a powerful speech that was echoed by both President Obama and Secretary Clinton. Ryan Moore, an instructional technology leader with dwarfism, spoke about the necessity of affordable health care. And Hillary Clinton emphasized the importance of inclusion in her own speech, mentioning disability on five separate occasions.

The Republican National Convention, by contrast, seemed to focus mainly on exclusion. The word 'disability' wasn’t even mentioned once. Eric Trump said that his father was running for "families with special needs children", as if adults with special needs don’t exist.

The differences between the two parties' approaches to disability also informs their platforms. The Democratic Party platform includes 35 mentions of disability rights in 19 sections. The Republican platform, on the other hand, specifically states that it does not support ratification of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (which is supported by the Democrats).

Even more importantly to me, the Democratic platform specifically addresses the needs of people with autism, stating that Democrats "believe that our country must make supporting the millions of individuals with autism and those diagnosed in the future and their families a priority". The text goes on to explain how this will be accomplished by expanding services -- including housing and employment -- to include adults, as well as those transitioning to adulthood. Additionally, the platform states that the party will "push states to require health insurance coverage for autism services" and stresses the importance of early screening for autism in children.

In stark contrast, the Republican platform does not mention the need to support individuals with autism at all. In fact, the word autism is mentioned only once, in a paragraph about biomedical research that also describes "new dangers like Ebola, Zika, Chikungunya, and antibiotic-resistant pathogens". The juxtaposition of autism and terrifying diseases like Ebola and Zika is incredibly damaging to people on the spectrum, many of whom see autism as a core part of our identities. It's also incredibly dehumanizing. ...

@Alex: While it is obvious that you are not endorsing either candidate, it is equally obvious which candidate (and which party) bears a more favorable message and is more likely to deliver on more favorable legislation for disabled people.

@Others: In my opinion, who you vote for in the next general election should reflect your personal interests, especially your needs as they relate to whichever Autistic Spectrum Disorders (and other disabilities) you may have. Whom you are for or against should also be a reflection of how you perceive the needs of people with disabilities, and whether or not you believe that people with disabilities should be supported by their government.

I further think that it is appalling that any one candidate (or political party) should think that it is morally correct to ignore - and even denigrate - disabled people and ignore the fact that they are citizens too. Even disabled people have the right to vote; and our votes will reflect our feelings regarding the support (or lack thereof) that any candidate expresses or implies during their campaign.

So, learn the facts, listen to the candidates, and remember that "I was just being sarcastic" does not excuse blatant ableism.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 5:35 pm

You act like with the current election scores it is a possibility trump is going to be elected Image

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2016, 9:29 pm

I'm a #NeverTrump Republican (voted for Rubio in the primary), but this idea that being pro-disability rights mean you have to support bigger government (i.e. more spending, more regulation) and/or opposing bigger government means you are anti-disability rights is a fallacy.

We should be rejecting Trump because he is the manifestation of all the worst characteristics of neurotypicals!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 4:18 am

Alex Plank for President 2020.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 9:48 am

jkrane wrote:
... MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Ignoring for now the lack of evidence for your claims ... If that lying, draft-dodging racist Donald Trump really wants to "Make America Great Again", then he should start with his own little piece of it and recognize the legally-constituted labor union at Trump International Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada. He should also man up and stop hiding his tax returns from public scrutiny. Then he should recognize the rights of ALL United States citizens to life, liberty, and the persuit of happines - not just the able-bodied, wealthy, middle-aged white Republican males. Trump University was also a fraud - just follow the money.

T minus 43 and counting.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 10:57 am

If Trump gets elected, I damn well hope he gets impeached.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 11:05 am

EzraS wrote:
Alex Plank for President 2020.

∆ Me

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

18 Aug 2016, 11:11 am

Ted Cruz said it best.

Vote your conscience

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 4:11 pm

Sadly I can not vote in the US election as I am not an american, to me I would vote for Mrs Clinton. She is the logical person to vote for, whatever her faults she would be far better than Trump.