Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

krex
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 1:34 pm

There is something sadistic in the idea of living longer and being hungry the whole time.I have restricted calories...it was called a diet....I had no energy and couldnt concentrate...I think I am a sugar addict(No,I never finished reading "Sugar Blues"...)

I think there is a connection between alcoholism,depression and suger/carb cravings.Anything scientific to back this up?

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 1:42 pm

Ponce de Leon thought the fountain of youth was in Florida.

Boy was he wrong.

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 2:03 pm

[quote="Chuck
You're right, its not healthy. :) But I have ADD, and every spring I go through a period of not being able to sleep well that lasts 2 to 3 months. It happened at a good time this year, as I have been assisting the treatment of a man who has 2 brain tumors that have been slowly growing since I first met him when I worked in the pharmacokinetic department of St. Jude's Children's hospital over 20 years ago. One of the tumors has started growing again...

I'm also helping a patient with a strange case of abnormal brown fat deposition in his neck (owing to abnormal cytokine and tumor necrosis factor activity). He's choking to death (paralysis in the first few inches of esophagus in just this past week), and I'm putting as much mental energy as possible into figuring out a medicinal solution for him. He's receiving pancreatic enzymes and Avandia at present, based on a hypothesis. Only about 12 patients with anything similar at present in the United States, and only one expert, who hasn't seen anything like it before, and who lives in California. Will see.....

...in addition to my regular job at the pharmacy.[/quote]

Darn good thing I worked as a research assistant at the hospital library for awhile. Those were some mighty big words. :) It took me a few minutes but I figured out what you are talking about. I don't think pharmacists in Canada get that involved with cases. I may learn a few things hanging out here. 8)

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 May 2007, 5:00 pm

Thanks to Chuck and BlessedMom for sharing your knowledge and advice concerning my husband's (JP) high blood pressure. He is under the care of a doctor and I faxed the doctor today to tell him about JP's reaction to that drug. He will go back on the Terazosin and we will incorporate your advice as well. I will get him the supplements you suggested and alter his diet. He doesn't smoke, or do any drugs, and he takes no other prescribed drugs. He's trying to cut down on his beer, but it's hard, he's German-Irish. He rides his bike 3 times a week or more and has joined the Y, he is really in good shape except for the BP. People never believe he's 66 years-old. We love fresh vegetables and rarely eat processed foods.

And Aperatura, We could easily become vegetarians, but we would have to keep fish and eggs in our diet because we love each. My husband is out back now planting our vegetable garden. Our son raises chickens, so we're always stocked with eggs.

This is a great thread. I will visit often. Thanks everyone, once again.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 5:21 pm

I step in here with caution, just so y'all know that going in. It goes back to having an HFA grandma who gave me a huge box of vitamins for my 12th birthday and got worse from there. But anyway, I try to have an open mind :)

I am wondering if the rumor is true, that fatty acids have anti-inflammatory properties.

See, I have a shoulder that was ripped apart almost literally, two years ago, and despite titanium anchors and permanent sutures to screw cartilage back to bone, I'm still having major problems with it. I'm going in for major surgery the day after tomorrow, in fact. :evil:

Part of the problem, I think, is that the trauma started an inflammatory reaction and has never gone down. I am unable to tolerate either steroidal or non-steroidal anti-inflammatories so have been using ice mostly.

My dental hygienist last week told me that fatty acids have anti-inflammatory properties. Wow - possibly the magic bullet? LOL she actually called fatty acids the fountain of youth.

Thoughts?

krex
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 6:54 pm

I just bought some Flax seeds from the pharmacy because they have omega3,6,9 and have been said by a few on this board to help with some of the cognitive issues of AS.Its inexpensive(compared to perscriptions)and has fiber,so it is worth trying or this reason of the anti-inflamitory....now,to figure out how to eat this suckers....might just through them on a salad.(Says you can add them to muffins....maybe we should start serving them in the cafe?

ANd good luck on your surgery.

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 8:20 pm

Flax seed is generally known for its cholesterol lowering abilities and it can be baked in bread and sprinkled on whatever food you would like. It does have anti-inflammatory properties for conditions such as arthritis, eczema, Crohn's disease and psoriasis. These are auto-immune conditions and not inflammation due to damage. Omega acids are a useful addition to any diet as they destroy free radicals and boost immunity as well as promoting good cardiac health and brain function. In theory the immune boost and free-radical destruction would be useful while healing.

When tissue has been injured as yours was, protein supplements (free form amino acids) are important for new tissue growth and healing. Take according to label and ask pharmacist or health store consultant about a good brand. Vitamin C (calcium ascorbate in this type of injury) is also important. Take from 3,000 mg to 5,000mg per day. If you get too much it will just make your stools a little loose and you will know to slow down. :wink:

As always, be sure to start these after the surgery and check with the healthcare professional about any contraindications. :D Best of luck to you, Lissa

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 5:05 am

Great thread. My husband will be interested in it too. Will post about his sleeplessness another day.

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex

Chuck
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 7:47 am

Good luck with your surgery and recovery Aylissa!! !

Just out of curiosity, and in order to understand your injury more clearly do you know which muscle(s) tore loose? One of the "rotator cuff" muscles (supraspinatus, infraspinatus, subscapularis, or teres minor)? Pectoralis major? Latissimus dorsi? Teres major? Did the humeral head pull completely away from the glenoid fossa of the scapula? Was there inflammation in the bursal sacs (subtendinous bursa of coracobrchialis, subscapularis, or infraspinatus?)

Anyhoo, on to your question:

As Krex mentioned above (correctly), flax seed could be taken. [Note to males: don't supplement with flax seed oil - it is estrogenic. If you are male, use Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) instead.] Females may take either one - unless your estrogen levels are too high (painful tender breasts), or if you are undergoing chemotherapy to treat an estrogenic tumor.

In addition to the ice that you are using (a good choice), and blessedmom's advice, here are a few more natural alternatives to steroids and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs):

SAMe (S-adenosylmethionine): Although this is mostly useful (as concerns inflammation) for arthritis (particularly osteoarthritis - eg, the knee joints) it appears to stimulate the synthesis and proliferation of cartilage constituents - so it may be useful after your surgery. I see that you also have depression, so if you use this supplement, and are also taking a tricyclic antidepressant, or a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor, use caution - SAMe also increases serotonin levels. If serotonin levels go too high you may get serotonon syndrome.

Avocado/Soybean Unsaponifiables: this is made in a 1/3 avocado, 2/3 soybean mix with the fatty acids removed and the residual oils left as the active part. If you don't have a laboratory at home :) just eat avocado and soybeans. Their oils inhibit cartilage degradation and promote cartilage repair (particularly in osteoarthritic chondrocytes). These two also slow the progression of joint space loss in patients with advanced osteoarthritis of the hips. I eat avocados and/or guacamole at least twice a week, and eat soybeans as well.

Gamma-limoleic acid: (Found in borage seed oil, evening primrose oil, and black current seed oil): exerts anti- inflammatory effects by decreasing interleukin-1 and TNF-alpha (tumor necrosis factor alpha) activity. So don't use these if you are also undergoing cancer chemotherapy. They take a while to begin working (months), but are effective particularly for reducing rheumatoid arthritis-type inflammation. Feverfew inhibits TNF-alpha and IL-1, as well as COX-2 (COX-2 inhibition is how the prescription drug Celebrex works). Ginger inhibits COX-2 and TNF-alfa.

Devil's Claw (Harpagophytum procumbens): in Africa this is used to treat rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, and back and muscle pain. Its chemical structure(s) suggest that it would reduce COX-2 and nitric oxide synthetase (which are modulators of inflammation). I have found no English research on this plant, only French and German research, and I can't read German. It looks interesting, don't know how effective it is. The French literature listed diarrhea and gastrointestinal upset as a possible side effect. It appears to inhibit cytochrome P-450 enzymes in the liver - so it could interact with other medications.

Green Tea: contains catechins which inhibit interleukin-1, COX-2, and nitric oxide synthetase activity. Additionally, green tea protects cartilage by inhibiting proteoglycan and collagen breakdown. Some research suggests that green tea's catechins lessen joint degeneration in rheumatoid arthritis. However, there hasn't been much research done on the joint protective effects of green tea. I drink it! It also helps prevent cavities, and helps prevent cancer. Green tea also contains Quercetin (see below).

Resveratrol: Found in red wine and red grapes. (I recommend the red grapes :) . Autopsies of people who drink excessive amounts of red wine show brains that are pink, and full of small holes, sort of like mad cow disease). This is an excellent antioxidant, helps prevent cancer and Alzheimer's, and appears to exert anti-inflammatory effects by inhibiting COX-2 expression and activity. Eat red grapes! Several times a week. Or drink concord grape juice (just not so much that you take in a lot of sugar).

Quercetin: found in green tea, red grapes, red wine (don't drink much! or often!), onions, apples, berries, and broccoli. Not a blasting effect, but all of these slow COX-2 production. I found no clinical studies on the use of quercetin for arthritis or musculoskeletal conditions. But eat these anyway.

Which brings us to your question of omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oils: research suggests that these seem to suppress COX-2 expression, and the inflammatory cytokines interleukin-1 alpha and tumor necrosis factor-alpha. It seems to be particularly effective in people with rheumatoid arthritis, as people with rheumatoid arthritis have lower levels of omega-3 fatty acids in their synovial fluid (the lubricating fluid between joints). Do not exceed 3 grams a day, or consume large amounts of fish per day, or you will inhibit your platelet aggregation, which can cause bleeding and increase your risk for hemorrhagic stroke. I would take this or flax seed oil. If you don't take flax seed oil, also supplement with one teaspoonful of extra virgin olive oil every morning. (flax seed oil and olive oil both contain the essential fatty acids that your body cannot produce on its own, but needs for brain and nerve production and repair. Give your body what it needs first thing in the morning, and it will not tend to "hang onto" the fat contained in the food you eat each day - your bodyfat levels will reduce).

Finally, if one of the bursal sacs in your shoulder is the cause of your inflammation, traditional NSAIDs (ibuprofen, naproxen sodium, indomethacin) won't be very effective. Although they can surround a joint capsule or bursa, they don't penetrate it well and get inside. The NSAID Voltaren (diclofenac) was designed to do this, and works much better in those type of injuries.

Good luck! Hope this helps! If you know what muscle(s) are involved, I can give you massage, physical therapy, and exercise tips.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Addendum: If you are reading this and are not someone who lives in Hawaii, as Aylissa does, be sure to get some sun at least a few times a week. If your vitamin D levels are low, inflammation increases.

Last edited by Chuck on 10 May 2007, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuck
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 8:29 am

This, from the 1919 book Health Knowledge:

"Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis, and other Rheumatisms:

Elixir of Iron, Quinine, and Strychnine...four fluid ounces
Dose: One teaspoonful in water before meals.

Diet: the diet consist of food poor in nitrogenous material.
Red meats should be avoided; also eggs, fried food,fats, and
pork. White meats, as fowl, and fish are allowable. Coffee
and tea in diminished quantities. All spiced food should be
avoided. Water in abundance, and organic and fruit acids,
such as the juice of lemons, oranges, plums, grapes, etc.
are beneficial.

Of course, in the shoulder, this could be neuritis, for
which the treatment is the same as for neuralgia. Discover
and remove the cause by which the nerves are being
poisoned. The drug whose use is attended with most benefit
is strychnine, which may be administered as the patient
lies helpless in bed. Keep the painful parts constantly
wrapped in flannel saturated with chloroform."

Yikes! Our ancestors were a hardy bunch, to have survived
such treatments and still reproduce so that we could all be
here...uh...entirely unaffected. :)

krex
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 1:59 pm

Isnt Strychnine one of the things they put in "fake LSD" because it makes you hallucinate?Might explain the enquisition,whitch burning and such(along with the argot).Makes you grit your teeth and hear your own brain cells imploding...no thanks.

I tried the flax seed on my salad last night(2 heaping teaspoons)...lets just say I forced it down and ruined a good salad.Anyone care to share a recipe to consume this gritty stuff.It didnt taste bad but the grit made me think mysalad had been rolling around on the beach(bad salad,no,no).

My boyfriend has MS,which involves some "erectile issues",I know this is connected with nitrous oxide???in some way....would the flax seed be counter indicative for him?(Sorry for the bad spelling...my spelling check just laughed at me and refused to spell anything medical)

Chuck
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 2:38 pm

krex wrote:
...My boyfriend has MS,which involves some "erectile issues",I know this is connected with nitrous oxide???in some way....would the flax seed be counter indicative for him?

Flax seed will increase his estrogen levels. He may have dormant cancer cells in his body (we all do) that could be awakened and triggered by the sudden increase in estrogen in his body. He shouldn't take it. In reference to your question, the increased estrogen would also make it more difficult for him to have an erection. But the bigger (no pun intended) concern would be the chance that he could develop cancer.

Last edited by Chuck on 10 May 2007, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 2:41 pm

I personally do not use flaxseed but do use the oil. It is a good alternative. Do you have a bread machine or bake bread. It is slightly more palatable but less effective due to the heat.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 2:49 pm

blessedmom wrote:
I personally do not use flaxseed but do use the oil. It is a good alternative. Do you have a bread machine or bake bread. It is slightly more palatable but less effective due to the heat.

The reason I decided to try the flax seed instead of oil is it was a bit cheaper and had all the Omega...3,6,9 in it.I dont have a bread machine or the time to makke it(cooking not a perservation for me,just a necessity)I may try and use it in my chocolate chip cookie recipe...I am a super junkie and like to have something "healthy" in my vices...lessons the guilt.I may try it in a "drink recipe"...tang,Ornge metamucil,crushed ice and a little frozen yougert.If I use a straw,I maybe able to avoid the grit between my teeth feel.I have IBS,so I need a good amount of fiber.I may end up having to use the oil but I wanted to try and eat it whole if possible.

Chuck
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 3:16 pm

krex wrote:
There is something sadistic in the idea of living longer and being hungry the whole time.I have restricted calories...it was called a diet....I had no energy and couldnt concentrate...I think I am a sugar addict(No,I never finished reading "Sugar Blues"...)

I think there is a connection between alcoholism,depression and suger/carb cravings.Anything scientific to back this up?

Yes, there is a connection (good observation!): Alcohol and sugar both increase the level of serotonin in your brain. Serotonin is a mood elevator (makes you feel good, and less depressed and anxious). That's why, in times of stress, people crave sweets and alcohol.

And most of us here on this site are Aspies! Without even being consciously aware of it, or maybe you are FULLY aware of it :) , you probably have low-level anxiety going on all the time, unless you are at home by yourself, doing whatever it is that you like doing best.

What's the healthiest way to deal with this:

1. Become aware. When you are craving sweets, check in with yourself. (Am I hungry? or stressed?) If you are hungry, eat! But NOT simple sugars! Put some nutrition in your carbs - go for the veggies instead. Wait ten minutes. Still craving sweets? S_L_O_O_O_OW_L_Y let a small piece of dark chocolate melt in your mouth, enjoy its flavor, and swallow it. Wait 10 minutes. Still craving sweets? Sometimes your body screams: "SWEETS!! !! Now Dammit!!" when actually it means to scream: "MEAT! !! Gimme some dadgum protein!! !" (This is a faulty signal in almost everyone, but especially in women). Eat some meat, drink some low fat milk, eat some low fat yogurt, egg whites, beans ... some kind of protein! Wait 10 minutes. Oftentimes the "sweets" craving will vanish. Still craving sweets? Most likely you have stress....

2. Dealing with stress: consciously slow down your breathing. Clench your fists, then let them relax. Stretch your body. Exercise. Stand or sit up straight. Get a massage. Meditate. Try to get adequate amounts of sleep. Try not to stretch yourself activity-wise too thin. Learn to set healthy limits. Pick a partner who is even keeled. Pick kids who are never a bother. etc. :) (Oh, and smile and laugh a lot). Turn off the news.

3. Do not go for the alcohol! As an Aspie, you'll be more likely to become addicted (you'll crave the serotonin, because of your constant low-level anxiety - see #1 above). And although it initially increases your serotonin, it then begins to decrease it. Which leads you to drink more. Which will eventually lower your serotonin levels down to the point that you become depressed.

See the interconnection?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Addendum: Just went for a run, and it occurred to me to mention:

1. Any time your body starts becoming dehydrated, all of its biochemical functions start having trouble (another form of stress). In women, they may start craving sweets. Drink some water first. A lot of times the "sweets" craving will vanish.

2. Just a hypothesis of mine, no research, can't prove it: the relationship break-up/ winter snow-shoveling/ exercise/ Monday morning wake-up/ heart attack connection. (see below)

Last edited by Chuck on 10 May 2007, 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 3:24 pm

[quote="Chuck
2. Dealing with stress: consciously slow down your breathing. Clench your fists, then let them relax. Stretch your body. Exercise. Stand or sit up straight. Get a massage. Meditate. Try to get adequate amounts of sleep. Try not to stretch yourself activity-wise too thin. Learn to set healthy limits. Pick a partner who is even keeled. Pick kids who are never a bother. etc. :) (Oh, and smile and laugh a lot). Turn off the news.[/quote]

That should keep me laughing and stress free for a long time! :lol: