Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Chuck
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 9:36 am

It was suggested that this forum contain a "Dino Clinic", a thread for discussion of illness. Some members noted their dislike of the word "Dino", so I named it something else. :)

*Ahem* Welcome! Health tips and advice may ye find here!

Disclaimer: consider all advice here to be a second opinion, the first being that of your own health care professional.

Disclaimer: the person giving the advice herein may be absolutely bonkers, so reader beware. ( :) I am absolutely bonkers. I recommend taking advice only from absolutely bonkers practitioners. Then again, I'm absolutely bonkers).

Disclaimer: Neither Alex, nor Wrong Planet nor any of its affiliates (other leagalese, other leagalese...) is in any way legally responsible for anyone who takes the advice contained herein, subsequently experiencing a horribly prolonged and agonizing death. Not no way. Not no how.

Disclaimer: health care information changes at blinding speeds. If the post you are reading is old, the advice may no longer hold true. Double check! (On the other hand, some tips are eternal).

Disclaimer: no animals were harmed in the creation of this thread.

Note: sometimes the best healthcare is a simple smile, and a teddy bear. All ye who enter here shall receive one of each: :) (the teddy bear is virtual).

Last edited by Chuck on 10 May 2007, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chuck
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 9:48 am

Ok! CosmicCat asked me:

"What are some good foods or safe herbs/vitamins for high blood pressure? My husband had a very bad reaction to triamterene/hydrochorothiazide after only one dose. Said he felt like he was dying, and for him to say something like this was alarming. I got him some pomegranate & blueberry juice, and made him a celery salad. He's much better today and won't be taking it again. He would like to get off medication completely and eat foods that would help him instead. He had been taking terazosin with only mild side effects. He's in very good shape with no other medical conditions."

I brought this question to this forum, which we fortunately now have, so I could give her an in-depth answer. :) It appears to be a simple question, but actually is complex, with many questions involved.
So I'll answer in different posts to follow:

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 9:53 am

I have found the fountain of youth and it is...

CATS!

Cats are vital for keeping their owners (wait a minute, nobody owns cats, they own you) young! Chasing after them, taking care of them, enjoying their games and petting a cat are all vital youth preservers.

Try CAT-the vital miracle cure! It releases a vital endorphin called PURR!

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 9:54 am

:D Thank you, Chuck. I'm glad you saw C.C.'s question. Natural health is my passion but there is so much to know and I am just starting. I know my herbs, vitamins, homeopathy, aromatherapy and foods. I have a sense about people and their health but I have to be in the room with them.

Chuck
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 9:57 am

CosmicCat wrote:
"What are some good foods or safe herbs/vitamins for high blood pressure? My husband had a very bad reaction to triamterene/hydrochorothiazide after only one dose. Said he felt like he was dying, and for him to say something like this was alarming. I got him some pomegranate & blueberry juice, and made him a celery salad. He's much better today and won't be taking it again. He would like to get off medication completely and eat foods that would help him instead. He had been taking terazosin with only mild side effects. He's in very good shape with no other medical conditions."

Let's start here first:

You were very wise to stop immediately! Any time you have a very bad first reaction to a new medication, discontinue the drug, and call your doctor immediately!

Even though you have had a bad reaction, your doctor may advise you to continue the medication (depending on the particulars). In that case, don't stop without informing your physician that you intend to do so, so that the doctor may then provide you with alternative care. Sometimes discontinuing a drug can be very dangerous.

Onwards!

Last edited by Chuck on 07 May 2007, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chuck
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 10:03 am

blessedmom wrote:
:D Thank you, Chuck. I'm glad you saw C.C.'s question. Natural health is my passion but there is so much to know and I am just starting. I know my herbs, vitamins, homeopathy, aromatherapy and foods. I have a sense about people and their health but I have to be in the room with them.

Your advice was excellent! Thank you for helping her out - I really think you helped her out! And a good thing too - I left for work without checking in on Wrong Planet, and missed CosmicCat's question! (Many apologies to CosmicCat! :oops: ). I won't be here for many of the questions, so I'll need your help, and Aylissa's too (she's a nurse!), and the help of any who want to give tips and advice. I work such long hours I'm rarely home.

Thank you again blessedmom! (and feel free to use your stick to whack anyone on this thread who needs motivation exercising, etc.)

Last edited by Chuck on 07 May 2007, 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chuck
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 10:38 am

CosmicCat wrote:

Let's start here second:

This is an excellent goal! (But not always possible). Some people who are in otherwise excellent shape can "fine tune " some habits, and turn high blood pressure around. It takes dedication and determination and a willingness to change lifestyle for about 2 to 3 months until it becomes a habit, and then sticking it out for a year until your body is composed of mostly new cells.

Blood pressure affects people in different ways, depending on their age, sex, and race. And the treatments vary along those parameters as well. I'm assuming that CosmicCat's husband is a white male around or over the age of 65. If any of these parameters is different, my advice will have to change. The major area of concern for a comparatively healthy individual in this category is not so much loss of vision, kidney damage or heart attack - its a stroke. (Although loss of vision, kidney damage, or heart attack could also occur). Not mentioned to scare you, but to let you know that the weaning him off his meds would be wisest if done in association with a physician who can monitor his progress.

The fine tuning? A change of diet along the lines of Dean Ornish's books, or the American Diabetic Society Diet Books, or a similar sensible approved book in whatever country you reside in. (limiting fatty, fried, trans-fat foods; eating more steamed vegetables; eating proper portions.) Cutting back on salt. Limiting alcohol. Proper amounts of sleep and rest. De-stressing. Limiting caffeine. Limiting, or finding alternatives to nasal decongestants. Stopping the cocaine habit. :) Starting an exercise program (under the direction and approval of a health care practitioner), and learning to stretch and meditate. Massage (I know CosmicCat doesn't like for massage therapists to touch her man! :) lowers it as well. Laughing. Learning non-type "A" behavior. Propping your legs up above the level of your heart (so that the blood drains toward your heart and head) at least a few times a day to allow the lymphatic system to drain excess fluid in your feet and legs. Adjusting your ADD (attention deficit disorder) medications. Stopping smoking. Bringing your bodyfat level to a healthy, or better yet - athletic level (in an appropriate period of time - never attempting too much too fast).

Without taking care of these changes first, using drugs or herbs won't help as much as they could. This is the base of the treatment pyramid.

Onward!

Last edited by Chuck on 07 May 2007, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chuck
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 11:17 am

CosmicCat wrote:

Let's start here third:

Herbs. Man's very first meds, going back millions of years. Psychoactive drugs have always been popular in every time and culture. Smoking hemp, poppies, chewing coca leaves and khat, willow bark, you name it. They are very effective. They can be dangerous.

The main problem (currently being addressed) is that herbs that you can buy are not standardized. A recent study chemically examining 30 different manufacturers of a particular herb found that 25 had none of the herb in them, 4 had something else entirely, and the remaining one contained the herb, but not the active part of the plant.

Let's take the example of tea to explain this. I could sell a product labeled tea. Instead of using tea leaves, I use tea bark, or tea roots. Its different now, right? (some plants have parts that are useful medicinally, and at the same time contain poison in a different part of the same plant!) Or say I actually use the leaves, but harvest them winter, spring, fall, and summer. They'll contain different concentrations of "active" ingredients depending on the season harvested won't they? And there will be differences according to where they are grown and the type of soil they are grown in. There will also be differences from year to year, depending on weather conditions. At present, none of the companies are held to any standardized equivalence. Even when they brazenly state "standardized" right on their lying box.
As it stands now, my box of "tea" could contain grass clippings. No one is checking them.

That said, garlic will lower your blood pressure (must not be "de-odorized". Must contain the sulfur-containg compounds allin and allicin to be effective).
He should avoid dong quai. It lowers the blood pressure, but has estrogenic activity.
Ephedra, Ma Huang, yohimbe, and ginseng can raise the blood pressure (avoid these).

Your husband should not add any of these while still taking Terazosin!

Several other herbs have a diuretic effect (make you urinate off excess fluid), but reading what happened to him when he took triamterene/hydrochlorothazide (a double diuretic), I would not add a diuretic except under a doctor's supervision.

Onward!

Last edited by Chuck on 07 May 2007, 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 11:17 am

I saw you mention ADD meds. I feel like a hypocrite but I just starting taking those because I couldn't find any natural solutions that helped. I'm hoping now that the fog has lifted and I can get down to the life style changes. Chuck, maybe you can tell me if these are really bad for you or not. I've pondered it for years and although I feel great, I'm not sure. I hate being chemically dependent. It is really hard to find info on those. It seems there are so many strong opinions. :?

Chuck
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 11:42 am

blessedmom wrote:
I saw you mention ADD meds. I feel like a hypocrite but I just starting taking those because I couldn't find any natural solutions that helped. I'm hoping now that the fog has lifted and I can get down to the life style changes. Chuck, maybe you can tell me if these are really bad for you or not. I've pondered it for years and although I feel great, I'm not sure. I hate being chemically dependent. It is really hard to find info on those. It seems there are so many strong opinions. :?

I take Focalin XR 10mg on days that I will be working 10 hours. I use the Daytrana 30mg patch on days that I will be working in the 14 to 32 hour range.

On the meds my blood pressure usually runs 128 systolic over 80 diastolic (a little high),
Not on the meds my blood pressure runs 110 over 60.

But not on the meds, I tend to drink a lot of caffeine (9 to 12 glasses of unsweet tea per 24 hours). Which raises my blood pressure to 115 over 70. (I exercise from 1 to 3 hours most days, running, swimming, lifting weights, or martial arts which keeps my blood pressure low. I also eat relatively healthy, don't smoke, rarely drink alcohol.

I don't believe there are any natural solutions available for ADD. The medications have been proven time and again to be the most effective treatment, their use has gone back longer than almost every category of medication (1950's and before) and their relative safety is well established. Judith Kolberg & Kathleen Nadeau have written an excellent book ADD- Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life which deals with ADD in a non-medication way. Kathleen Nadeau works exclusively with ADD women (who are often overlooked), and her book was mainly directed toward women with ADD, but it helped me more than any other ADD book I've read (lot's of practical advice and tips).

The meds help you "un-fog" and have helped you. As long as you drink plenty of water (especially while exercising) and monitor your blood pressure every now and then to make sure it isn't climbing drastically, I would stay on them. The great thing about the ADD meds - when they wear off, they are completely out of your system.

I hate to admit it, but they help me a lot as well.

But I didn't do too badly the first 48 years of my life without them :)

Glad they are helping you blessedmom!

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 11:55 am

CC,

Treating any circulatory problem with herbs is risky. The only safe ones would be garlic and Chuck nailed that one on the head. (He's so wise.) and gingko biloba. There are others such as cayenne which was quite popular in the 90's, but was never proven to be effective. And it isn't great if you suffer from heart burn (ouch) or malignant hyperthermia (over-heating).

One word about garlic and gingko biloba, if your husband is on any anti-coagulant meds (blood thinners) they should not be used as they are also anti-coagulants. Otherwise they are quite safe.

I had mentioned potassium earlier. When on a diuretic, a potassium citrate supplement is recommended but needs to be monitored by your DR. so dose can be adjusted. Of course, bananas, oranges, apples and celery are still safe. Here is link to an excellent site that has the potassium content of foods. I use it quite often. http://www.drugs.com/cg/potassium-conte ... -list.html

Back to Chuck :D

Chuck
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 12:30 pm

CosmicCat wrote:

Let's start here next:

I'll address minerals here as well. Yes Mrs. CosmicCat, vitamins and minerals :) :

Potassium helps. But potassium in tablet/liquid form can be upsetting to his stomach. Its easier to take in food form, and the following foods are rich in potassium: bananas, dried apricots, potatoes (go easy on potatoes as you get older - whole grains are better for you) , cauliflower, squash, oranges, and plain low-fat yogurt.

Magnesium: (but don't go crazy here! Too much effects the heart's rhythmic beat, or causes diarrhea). Found in beans, brown rice, popcorn, nuts, green peas, fish, skim milk, and spinach.

[Everyone not allergic to spinach should eat about one cup of cooked spinach once a week (canned spinach is fine, as long as it is cooked, not raw). There's a chemical in cooked spinach that helps prevent Alzheimer's].

Niacin: taken at a level that will lower your cholesterol will open your peripheral blood vessels and lower your blood pressure. But you will feel like your skin is on fire! And you will be bright red! And you will curse me and all those around you! (Additionally, high levels of niacin can also permanently darken your armpits and palms of your hands).

Some say calcium lowers or prevents high blood pressure. Others disagree vehemently. I never followed the arguments closely, so have no opinion either way. I'll look it up for you if you wish.

Just out of general principle, I'd take a multiple vitamin, and take 1000mg to 3000mg of omega-3 fatty acid (fish oil) daily (for brain health and blood vessel health).

As always, consult your physician before changing his diet or adding or subtracting supplements! Your doctor has to know what you are doing! If your doctor knows that you are making lifestyle changes, she will monitor your blood pressure and take away any drugs that you are taking when the pressure starts getting too low (bad for the kidneys).

Hope this helps! Best wishes to your husband!

Chuck

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 12:56 pm

Eat mostly or entirely vegan, and restrict calories. Calorie restriction (restriction, not starvation!) is the only clinically proven method to extend lifespan. Eating TOO little (starvation) will harm you. You have to find the moderation point. For most people it will be between 1200-1500calories daily.

Stop eating sugar and refined grains.

Don't smoke.

Don't drink.

Avoid prolonged sun exposure.

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 1:00 pm

Chuck,

Feel free to tell me it's none of my business, but why do you work so much? It can't be healthy! 8O

Chuck
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 1:12 pm

Apatura wrote:
Eat mostly or entirely vegan, and restrict calories. Calorie restriction (restriction, not starvation!) is the only clinically proven method to extend lifespan. Eating TOO little (starvation) will harm you. You have to find the moderation point. For most people it will be between 1200-1500calories daily.

Stop eating sugar and refined grains.

Don't smoke.

Don't drink.

Avoid prolonged sun exposure.

Yea Apatura!! ! I attended a seminar last month that addressed the current medical position as concerns longevity, and you are absolutely correct!

Chuck
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 1:32 pm

blessedmom wrote:
Chuck,

Feel free to tell me it's none of my business, but why do you work so much? It can't be healthy! 8O

You're right, its not healthy. :) But I have ADD, and every spring I go through a period of not being able to sleep well that lasts 2 to 3 months. It happened at a good time this year, as I have been assisting the treatment of a man who has 2 brain tumors that have been slowly growing since I first met him when I worked in the pharmacokinetic department of St. Jude's Children's hospital over 20 years ago. One of the tumors has started growing again...

I'm also helping a patient with a strange case of abnormal brown fat deposition in his neck (owing to abnormal cytokine and tumor necrosis factor activity). He's choking to death (paralysis in the first few inches of esophagus in just this past week), and I'm putting as much mental energy as possible into figuring out a medicinal solution for him. He's receiving pancreatic enzymes and Avandia at present, based on a hypothesis. Only about 12 patients with anything similar at present in the United States, and only one expert, who hasn't seen anything like it before, and who lives in California. Will see.....

...in addition to my regular job at the pharmacy.

Last edited by Chuck on 07 May 2007, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.