Someone interested in not-american politics?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

MM99
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Aug 2016, 6:31 pm

Politics are my main interest since a few years ago so I came here willing to talk about it, but all I can see in this forum is people arguing about american politics, in which I haven't any interest since Sanders lost the nomimation, because for me Clinton and Trump are just the same, so I couldn't care less about which of them becomes president. For me it's a really boring topic.
But (luckily) USA isn't the only country in the world!! !! European and latin american politics are quite interesting lastly and it'd be interesting to talk about it. So, is anyone interested in it?

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2016, 7:09 pm

If you're from Spain I'm wondering if they're going to hold a referendum themselves on whether to retake Gibraltar, which of course they have the right to if its residents desire it too (otherwise the tip would be out of the EU... what ridiculousness).

MM99

21 Aug 2016, 7:28 pm

Mootoo wrote:
If you're from Spain I'm wondering if they're going to hold a referendum themselves on whether to retake Gibraltar, which of course they have the right to if its residents desire it too (otherwise the tip would be out of the EU... what ridiculousness).

Actually, Gibraltar hold a referedum in 1967 about if they wanted to become part of Spain or not. The results were: 12138 votes for remain as a part of UK and 44 for becoming part of Spain. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibralt ... ndum,_1967
Even with the Brexit, I don't think they've changed their minds about that.
This is another tiring topic for me. Every year in August or September (soon actually) the right-wing parties over here start to claim Gibraltar is a part of Spain and that, and I think it's quite pathetic and hypocrital, because I don't think Gibraltar people want anything to do with us, and we have two cities like Gibraltar in the north of Morocco which Morocco claims as a part of their territory, and none here seems to think that if we want Gibraltar back, we may have to give Ceuta and Melilla back to Morocco. Anyway, I think the most democratical thing is to respect the desire of the people, and I think neither Gibraltar people want to become spanish nor Ceuta and Melilla people want to become moroccan.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2016, 7:44 pm

Well, as long as Gibraltar residents, with the highest support for remain in the UK's referendum, still don't mind leaving the EU...

MM99

21 Aug 2016, 7:53 pm

They could hold a second referendum for rejoining Spain if they wanted, but I haven't even heard about it, so I'd say they prefer to remain as a part of UK even if that means leaving the UE.