Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 8:18 pm

Am I the only one that has a hard time reading maps and understanding what it means? The only kind of maps I can read without trouble are atlases, but they're more detailed than other maps, which I think is my problem. My least favorite maps are the location ones in malls and stuff.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 8:49 pm

Studying maps is a hobby of mine. I can spend hours on Google Maps. But using one to actually navigate is another thing. Especially something like a mall directory. I have very poor navigational skills.

Except when playing Lord of the Rings Online. I can navigate that pretty good. If I have been all over those areas multiple times. Starting out though, I get lost a lot and end up falling off cliffs and such.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 8:53 pm

I adore maps and love to study and use them. But in the case of your mall maps, it may be that they aren't really accurate maps, and so you have trouble using them. Maps of that kind are sometimes more like stylized art that's intended to look cool, rather than to concisely convey accurate information -- "cartoon maps" you might say.

There Are Four Lights!

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 8:55 pm

EzraS wrote:
Studying maps is a hobby of mine. I can spend hours on Google Maps. But using one to actually navigate is another thing. Especially something like a mall directory. I have very poor navigational skills.

Except when playing Lord of the Rings Online. I can navigate that pretty good. If I have been all over those areas multiple times. Starting out though, I get lost a lot and end up falling off cliffs and such.

My navigational skills are horrible. The only time I know where different places are if I've been there long enough. It's taken me a while to find my way through my college campus and I'm glad that I know it well. Well.... at least with the buildings I've had classes in.

mike1981
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Aug 2016, 9:13 pm

I can't read maps at all.

RabidFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Aug 2016, 9:17 pm

I like maps, especially old ones, but I have trouble with actual navigation. Street signs confuse the hell out of me and I cannot understand how to get from point A to point B. I could never drive a car. Not only would I never get anywhere, I would crash as well. The idea of controlling a car is horrifying to me.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 12:12 am

Love maps, both as an interest, and as tools.

Would prefer to draw myself a little map on paper than have to remember a sequence of directions someone rattles off to me.

But mall maps do take a little staring at to comprehend.

First you have to find that little red "you are here" symbol (sometimes its a circle, sometimes a fat little arrow).

That may be the missing ingredient for you all who have trouble with them.

Gotta find that "you are here" thing first- because it shows where in the mall you are standing while read that particular mall directory.

Even then you have to look around sometimes to see that "William Sonoma is over there in real life, and its to the left of the "you are here" symbol" here on the map. So that means I gotta go this way...".

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2016, 12:17 am

I can interpret information from a topographical map and some regional maps, but unless color-coded, road maps are impossible.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 2:30 pm

goofygoobers wrote:
EzraS wrote:

My navigational skills are horrible. The only time I know where different places are if I've been there long enough. It's taken me a while to find my way through my college campus and I'm glad that I know it well. Well.... at least with the buildings I've had classes in.

I can't navigate at all, unless it is on a pathway I have already taken several times before. Luckily there is GPS, and smartphones. I was one of the first people I know of to buy a portable GPS for my car back in 2005, and from that moment on traveling/driving anxiety disappeared completely. It was impossible for me to get lost.

enCrypt
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Aug 2016, 6:09 pm

I always have to hold a map in the direction I'm going otherwise it makes no sense to me.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2016, 6:51 pm

I never had a problem with reading maps. I learned how when I was ten. I just know the locations and the street names and know where things are to know where I am and look at the street names on the map and the street I am on.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.