Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Colts68
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Aug 2016, 8:31 pm

I'm 26 years old and have high functioning autism. I've never dated and have barely talked to the opposite sex. When I was in elementary school (5th grade), I developed a crush on someone. I had the chance to tell her but was too shy and walked away from her at school. After elementary school, I didn't have any classes with her until high school, where I had feelings for her again. I transferred to another school and lost touch with her until I found her on Facebook. When I contacted her, I was too forward, to put it politely. I told her that "even though we lived in different areas (her in California and me in Indiana), I would like to make a relationship work", as stupid and vague as that sounds. She responded by saying that I made her uncomfortable and that we couldn't be friends on Facebook anymore. I haven't heard from her since and don't know if I ever will. If this all sounds stupid then I'm sorry. I'm willing to take negative comments at this point. I just want to be friends with her again.

Bridgette77
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2016, 3:58 pm

I am really sorry about what happened between you and your friend. Unfortunately, a lot of women are uncomfortable with the direct and blunt approach when being approached for a relationship, especially if it is out of the blue, and after a long period of absence or noncomunication. I'm not sure I would recommend you trying to contact this girl for further communication, as she stated that she wishes not to have a further friendship with you. The only thing you could try, if you are honestly only wanting her friendship at this point, is to send her an apology for coming on so strong, if she hasn't cut off all ways of comunication. I don't know if contact between the two of you will ever be a possibility, but perhaps this will be a learning experience. Next time you find a woman you are interested in, maybe you can talk to her for a while, before expressing your wanting a relationship with her. I know it doesn't seem like it right now, but there will be another in time. Hang in there my friend. The dating world is a learning process, but you will get there. I hope this helps some.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 12:35 am

Colts68 wrote:
I'm 26 years old and have high functioning autism. I've never dated and have barely talked to the opposite sex. When I was in elementary school (5th grade), I developed a crush on someone. I had the chance to tell her but was too shy and walked away from her at school. After elementary school, I didn't have any classes with her until high school, where I had feelings for her again. I transferred to another school and lost touch with her until I found her on Facebook. When I contacted her, I was too forward, to put it politely. I told her that "even though we lived in different areas (her in California and me in Indiana), I would like to make a relationship work", as stupid and vague as that sounds. She responded by saying that I made her uncomfortable and that we couldn't be friends on Facebook anymore. I haven't heard from her since and don't know if I ever will. If this all sounds stupid then I'm sorry. I'm willing to take negative comments at this point. I just want to be friends with her again.

Do you want to be friends with her, or do you want to maintain some link to her because you are attracted to her, even though she does not reciprocate those feelings? Because it's deceptive to position yourself as a friend when actually being a friend is not your motive.

Regardless though, she is not interested, and your best approach would be to drop the issue and move on. You might find another person who has the qualities in her that you like, and who likes you back.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 3:02 am

You clearly jumped a few steps. You might have written that you had a crush on her or something.