Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Ishi2
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 7:12 pm

Forgetfulness is only human now and again but lately I seem to have a problem with finding the right words even if it's a common everyday word.

For example one day a few months ago I asked my dad to bring me a "little skinny wooden stick thing," and by that I meant toothpick but I couldn't come up with the word. He still jokes about that.

I often forget what I'm saying mid-sentence and more and more often I'll walk into another room and forget what I'm there for. I know a certain amount of this is normal but it's getting to be more and more frequent and it worries me.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 9:55 pm

Are you very stressed, or tired lately? That sort of thing can affect cognitive abilities.

Beyond that, I don't know.

I'm not sure what's normal with stuff like that, because I've been abnormally forgetful and had trouble with word-finding my entire life.

Love transcends all.

Magi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Aug 2016, 10:23 pm

thats nothing to be self conscious about. i hear nt's doing it all the time.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Aug 2016, 10:25 pm

I think it's normal, probably stress-related, or an overload of another kind. You will probably also have times when you remember things. Please don't stress yourself further over this memory thing! :)

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 10:45 pm

I don't think it's anything to worry about. I had a similar problem last year and I think it was caused by stress.

Ishi2
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2016, 12:35 pm

I think it may have something to do with my thyroid as I have hypothyroidism and stay exhausted all the time.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Aug 2016, 11:14 pm

It may be medication related if you changed any medications or changed a dose. I'd talk to a doc about it just to be safe

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

LittleLu
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Aug 2016, 2:31 pm

I have this problem when my anxiety is out of control. If I'm feeling overly stressed out, tired, or overstimulated, I get to the point where I can't remember daily activities and end up forgetting majorly important details. I'll start heading to work without shoes, or I'll promise a customer an item online and then completely forget that I had a customer waiting on me for the last two days. I also cannot remember words and will stutter painfully until I come up with a solution.

Even though I'm not 100% that I'm autistic, stimming tends to help me keep my focus, and of course eliminating my stress.

Try including 3 or more of your senses into your daily activities that you want to seriously remember, if you can. The more senses you incorporate into what you're doing, the better your mind can stick to it.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 8:49 pm

Probably nothing to fret about, do you take medication or have you been using any substances recently? My memory has always been very sharp but when I used drugs on and off in the past it went to hell for days at a time and that could be a disturbing thing to feel happen.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2016, 4:02 pm

When my blood sugar is low.

Cenabee
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Sep 2016, 6:11 pm

I've been told it's stress-related, but sometimes I worry when I feel otherwise fine and yet I start to fluff and forget things even though I know what I need to say; it just doesn't come to me.

I even had a brain scan one time when I was at my worst and feeling foggy, but nothing out of the ordinary was found, so I try not to worry. It's hard, though.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2016, 6:23 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
When my blood sugar is low.

This is when I have these problems as well. My vocabulary is reduced to a 3rd grader.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2016, 11:49 pm

When I eat, it's back up to 7th grader, in no time.