Creating Lets Play Commentary - Lets Play thread!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 8:24 pm

So something I've always wanted to do on a somewhat decent level is lets plays but I have no social skills and I have a horrible voice so much that I think people would struggle to understand me. Still I like the idea behind lets plays. I have often wondered if I am a good enough gamer to be a lets player. I seem to handle myself well enough and can be some what competitive but I don't seem to have bragging rights. I can own some games that people find hard like Mega Man X but Dark Souls is impossible for me. I can get to about level 80 and the game just starts to straight up troll you. Anyway I created a lets play channel a while back and my commentary sucked, my voice sucked, the gameplay sucked. I don't know, the channel had about 50 subscribers so I guess maybe I am my worse critic, though I have considered that they were probably laughing at how horrible of a lets player I was. I deleted it.

Anyway, I created a lets play channel with a decent name to represent my character, its Neurodiverse Gamer but it has no videos and I don't know that I would care to try something so social at the moment but I don't know. I figured since autism has royally destroyed my life completely, I could represent the community some how to give some meaning to how horrible my life is. I wouldn't mention autism outside of my introduction but I thought it could make the channel more interesting and give it a personality but I realize it also opens myself up to attack. To that I say, f**k em, I would like to see them try and do it. Life is not easy and I am actually in the best mindset to not care what others think. I didn't really want to associate this username with the channel either but I don't care what others think of me. If there is audience there then there is a reason even if its a minority, so I can pretty much ignore offensive people. I was thinking about doing both live and post commentary and I would be honest with what each video was. I have no desire to make a profit but some sense of accomplishment and even a small fan base would be pretty confidence boosting since I am pretty worthless at the moment.

Anyway in deciding if I am a decent gamer here is a video of me owning the first world in Super Meat Boy. I am currently scripting some of the commentary but not all. I want to at least hold peoples interest but I don't want to read my lines off a script. I see that crap in movies, its annoying. I can totally tell when some one is reading from a script (See the opening scene with the body guard in Attack of the Clones and you'll see what I mean).

Also I did mess up at 2:30 but outside of that I seem decent and I only attempted to record this 4-5 times. I died a few times in the later levels and twice in the boss level but thats not in this video because this is a fraction of the video I caught the other day and even did more games but this would be an example of relevant content from my edits. I was also thinking about and out take part of the video showing my failed attempts but it would be edited down and made to look nice. kdunlive is a decent video editor and I have it working great on Arch Linux. I can also do some pretty cool stuff with it and I am quite comfortable using it. Everything makes sense in its GUI but I don't know every feature.

Thoughts? Complaints? Death threats? I can take it so go ahead and get out what your thinking, thanks.

Moronerd
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Aug 2016, 7:06 pm

You will suffer for your crimes! Just kidding.

I like watching let's plays, and when my jobbing attempt fell through, considered trying to go for a let's play career or hobby or whatever. Maybe blogging since I'm a much better writer than talker. I don't like my voice either, and my recordings were quickly filed in the recycling bin. I wish you the best of luck though, and remember, different voices are a good thing in this sort of field. I know I don't like listening to the same person in different channels (and I have a bunch of people I sub to.)

Maybe you can work the awkward-gamer angle, if that's a thing? IDK. Some people might like a quirky or different kind of voice for a new sub. Even if you don't apply for partnership on youtube, I'm sure if you establish even a small following it could be a great thing for your self-esteem to hear them say nice things. Remember though, it takes time much like blogs for anyone to even notice your channel.

People say nasty things too, but they shouldn't count. With age you'll learn to laugh at those people and the baggage it takes for them to take anonymous shots at people on the internet. Good luck, whatever you decide to do. And ignore the trolls.