Page 5 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2016, 7:02 am

I feel Outrider really needs a mentor who is slightly older than him (perhaps 25?)--sort of like a "big brother" type.

They can hang out together. The older guy can teach him "the ropes" gently, and not act like an ass about it. Teach him to drive, even. Starting with malls.

Outrider can benefit the "big brother" by sharing his knowledge and his music.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2016, 7:24 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I didn't have my own car until I was 50. I didn't drive until I was 37.
It's different in NYC lol. You don't need a car as much there.

HelloSweetie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Oct 2016, 7:32 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I feel Outrider really needs a mentor who is slightly older than him (perhaps 25?)--sort of like a "big brother" type.

They can hang out together. The older guy can teach him "the ropes" gently, and not act like an ass about it. Teach him to drive, even. Starting with malls.

^^^ :heart:

Didn't know what I would have done without my big sistahs and big brothas from another planet :lol:
I hope to write a book someday called
'Weird like me' 8)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2016, 7:39 am

I am fortunate that I lived in "inner Queens"--the more urban part of Queens.

If I lived in "Outer Queens," the more suburban part, it would have been very difficult not to have a car and drive. Kids get their licenses at 16 there.

I think Outrider's okay for now because he has public transport.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2016, 7:59 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Yes, that's true.

I've never had a father figure, Dad was never there for me even before my parents separated.

I do not like my step-dad and want nothing to do with him. He would probably lack patience with me.

I am the eldest child, so I have no older sibling to guide me.

Most of my uncle's have disabilities themselves and still live at home at age 30 and lack basic life skills such as doing their own laundry, etc. or are too lazy and get my grandmother to do it.

If they're too lazy to take care of themselves, I doubt I could learn much from them.

The only person I really can learn basic life skills from is Mum, but she has 3 other children to care for, along with the fact she does most of the work around the house including my Uncle's laundry (he's sleeping on our couch and paying).

Also, Mum is a high school dropout, she doesn't have any first-hand experience of university, let alone the 11th/12th grade, which I attended of course because I graduated high school.

My Dad is one of the few family members who's actually gone, but he'd have no useful advice because all he did was attend a few weeks, spent all his time partying, then dropped out.

Aside from reading about experiences of Australian university on the internet, I have no one to turn to about this.

I have no one to turn to about many things and life skills.

Mum can only do so much to offer support, get me in touch with disability services and teach me the basics like cooking, laundry, cleaning, etc.

There's many things I've learnt on my own.

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Oct 2016, 4:17 am

ThisAdamGuy wrote:
Is there a rule for age differences in partners that people have somehow agreed on? I'm on a few dating sites, and admittedly I'd like to find someone who's close to me in age (I'm 24). But when I run out of those, I start looking at older women. When I say "older" I mean, four to six years older than me. I think the oldest person I've ever talked to was 30. And the results are always the same. "Don't you think I'm a little old for you?" That strikes me as weird. Is four or six years really that big of a difference? I have friends at church and work who are married even though one of them is, like, 55 and the other is 42. Or 63 and 54 (I'm just throwing out random numbers, I don't know exactly how old any of them are). So, is 24 and 28, or 24 and 30 really that big a deal? Or have I, as usual, missed something important here?

As long as it's legal it shouldn't matter unless it matters to you. If it matters to you then you know what you'll have a problem with