Aspergers are NOT SUPPOSED TO BE IMAGINATIVE OR CREATIVE!! !!

Page 3 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 8:51 pm

trent wrote:
Hey, you Aspergers are not supposed to be imaginative or creative or inventive! For crying out loud you don't daydream!! !! !

Might i ask, who the hell are you? And who the hell do you think you are, barging up in the middle of everything shouting your screwy misconceptions for the whole planet to hear? I won't even bother being polite this time, as you don't even deserve that. GO TO HELL.

Roxas XIII

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Raylynn
Toucan
Toucan

07 May 2007, 8:56 pm

I think trents point is that this assumption is wrong. How about we talk about this issue instead of attacking him?

agentcyclosarin
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 8:56 pm

Xenon wrote:

Just making sure. :D

Do most Aspies prefer science fiction? It seems that way... or am I just imagining it?

I'm not a huge reader in general being I'm more visual based, but I do prefer psychological things because as much as I like science, I like science that.. makes sense. I haven't read anything fiction other than fanfictions in a long time, I prefer movies for imaginative off shooting.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 8:57 pm

trent wrote:
Yes, I am saying people with Asperger's DO MOST CERTAINLY have TREMENDOUS IMAGINATION!

Ok, sorry. I really thought for a moment you were bashing us, which i why i took no hesitation in flaming you. It appears i was being hasty.

While you are correct as to our imagainative capabilites, you overestimate our ability to understand when someone is being literal or sarcastic. This multiplies itself tenfold over the net, since we are unable to determine your tone of voice or facial expressions while online.

As much as i appreciate your concern, i think your first post was a bad idea.

For your own sake and the sake of peace, don't do it again.

Roxas XIII

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 8:58 pm

Raylynn wrote:
I think trents point is that this assumption is wrong. How about we talk about this issue instead of attacking him?

He didn't make that clear at the start though.

agentcyclosarin
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 9:00 pm

Roxas_XIII wrote:
While you are correct as to our imagainative capabilites, you overestimate our ability to understand when someone is being literal or sarcastic. This multiplies itself tenfold over the net, since we are unable to determine your tone of voice or facial expressions while online.

I tend to read sarcasm better online than in real life.
There's a long ass reason for it, more of my foundational analytics and patterning crap I drone on about often. Its strange though because I just realized this, well.. fully realized at any rate.

Raylynn
Toucan
Toucan

07 May 2007, 9:01 pm

Sopho wrote:
Raylynn wrote:

He didn't make that clear at the start though.

yes, which is his fault. But he did clarify his point.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 9:22 pm

Awwww, hell. Not only do I take stuff literally, I make a living with my ,magination, have a generally underappreciated sense of humor, and well understood that trent meant no harm to us,

That he was making a sarky comment about the experts. I got it. I am a bad aspie. Hang me by my ghoolies!

Oh wait! I am a woman! I don't have ghoolies, But I can imagine them!

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

dumbgenius
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 9:28 pm

first sentence

Quote:
Hey, you Aspergers are not supposed to be imaginative or creative or inventive!

This may be a joke since he's posting this in a imaginative creative forum.

second sentence
Quote:
For crying out loud you don't daydream!! !! !

I think he referring to a scientific study that was done, and is mocking it.

A brain scan was done where autistics were told to look a a picture for a set time(15-30seconds I think, It was a very short time) and they did what they were told. A group of NTs were told to do the same thing, their minds wandered to other areas/subjects during the short time. The scientists called this daydreaming. They overlooked an obvious variable. A few seconds would not be long enough to test people's ability to focus.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 9:37 pm

Raylynn wrote:
Xenon wrote:
agentcyclosarin wrote:
Xenon wrote:
agentcyclosarin wrote:
LOLOLOL thats the biggest hunk of BS I've heard all day.

I hope you are referring to what that someone else once said, and not my own post. ;)

The person who claimed AS don't read Sci-fi.

Just making sure. :D

Do most Aspies prefer science fiction? It seems that way... or am I just imagining it?

For me sci-fi is the only fiction I really enjoy.

Apparently, Aspies AREN'T crazy about fiction. I consider myself Aspie, and I'm generally not. They DO tend to be interested in SCIENCE, and that includes FICTION! HECK, even science FANTASY! I have to admit, I AM ALSO! Heck, a lot of Science fiction was based on some sound theories, and became FACT!

Electromagnetic power moving atoms fast enough to cook food in seconds? Sounds crazy, huh? Well it was proven by a guy curious about his chocolate bar melting when he passed by RADAR tubes. TODAY, it is used in MICROWAVES.

What about the RADAR? Created by people originally investigating why cows caused interference at radio towers? Their little experiment helped to win WWII!

It is rumored radio was a byproduct of experiments to transmit power.

What about the atomic bomb? Atoms getting overloaded and overloading other atoms to release the atoms components going at the speed of light? E=Mc(squared)? YEAH RIGHT!

Science fiction become fact!

BTW I DO daydream! I DO have an imagination. I AM creative.

Steve

07 May 2007, 10:25 pm

My boyfriend is so stereotyped about aspies. he kept saying to me "I don't see how you can have AS," because I wasn't good in math and I like reading fiction and could write stories, and had more imagination than him.
This thread is for him.

When I saw this thread I thought Trent was just another troll and then I thought is this supposed to be some kind of joke. Now I realize it's just a wake up call to end the stereotype.

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 10:31 pm

likedcalico wrote:
My boyfriend is so stereotyped about aspies. he kept saying to me "I don't see how you can have AS," because I wasn't good in math and I like reading fiction and could write stories, and had more imagination than him.
This thread is for him.

Math was always my worst subject in high school, and I could never understand even the most basic rudimentary functions of calculus. Trigonometry went right over my head.

As a result, I've always told people that I suck at math. Which then gets me really weird looks when I add up numbers in my head while a co-worker uses a calculator to do the same problem.

(Eg, "What's the GST on $120.00?" -- GST is the Canadian federal sales tax, at six per cent. And within a few seconds of being asked I reply "Seven dollars and twenty cents.")

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 10:32 pm

dumbgenius wrote:
first sentence
Quote:
Hey, you Aspergers are not supposed to be imaginative or creative or inventive!

This may be a joke since he's posting this in a imaginative creative forum.

second sentence
Quote:
For crying out loud you don't daydream!! !! !

I think he referring to a scientific study that was done, and is mocking it.

A brain scan was done where autistics were told to look a a picture for a set time(15-30seconds I think, It was a very short time) and they did what they were told. A group of NTs were told to do the same thing, their minds wandered to other areas/subjects during the short time. The scientists called this daydreaming. They overlooked an obvious variable. A few seconds would not be long enough to test people's ability to focus.

Also, even if they didn't begin to daydream during those 15-30 seconds, maybe they just had excellent focus. After all, they were told to look at the picture, so that's what they did. Aspies are often noted for their great attention spans (except for those with comorbid disorders of attention, of course).

JDQuimby
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 May 2007, 10:33 pm

People always say I can't have AS because I'm extremely extroverted and verbal. Only after I do a few Rubik's Cubes and Math Problems in my head do they admit that I might have some mildly autistic traits. Imagination-wise, I actually don't think I have much; despite my social and emotional exterior, I'm a fairly cold and logical person on the inside. I do daydream though, and in excess; but such fantasies never stray far from the realm of reality; in fact, they're more like "what if..." situations where I play out possible scenarios in my head over and over... I guess that's all imagination really is though, right?

Quimby is NOT a four-letter word.

earthdweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 May 2007, 11:03 pm

I understand from my observations that I can put creativity in different catagories.

There is creativity that requires thinking and reasoning and creativity that there is not much thinking.

It appears to me that creativity that requires thinking is, most of the time, more entertaining.

Creativity that requires thinking being more creative due to the fact that there is more of awareness of details and other laws of physics that don't exist.

dbzgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2007, 11:22 pm

I am very imaginative and creative; I daydream almost constantly too. It is a false generalization.