Greetings. I'm new around these parts.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

PuzzlePieces1
Raven
Raven

28 Aug 2016, 2:23 pm

I've been posting on a few threads on the various sub-forums this week, but I think it's time I formally introduced myself.

I'm an adult with AS (or whatever the DSM decides is the politically correct term to use for it this week) who lives independently with my wife. I grew up in poverty in the days before anyone knew what autism spectrum disorders were. As a consequence, I had a very difficult childhood with a lot of bullying from both my family and community. Despite the odds, I managed to graduate high school and go on to get both a college degree and graduate school degree with two professional certifications. As a professional, I have struggled due to my interpersonal relationship deficits and I am a closeted "Aspie" due to discrimination from employers since AS does not make me part of a protected class when it comes to employment.

My wife is mentally ill and recently was hospitalized for suicidal ideation. As a consequence, her employer fired her on a technicality to get rid of her and I've been caring for her ever since while taking over as our sole source of income. I'm finding this situation to be really challenging, because I don't deal with stress very well, but I need to do what is necessary under the circumstances.

I used to see a therapist which was how I was diagnosed as with an ASD at the age of 30, but I can no longer afford to pay for sessions. I do my own cognitive behavioral exercises (which I picked up from therapy) to manage my emotions and determine if my fears are rational. I'm hoping that participating in this forum will provide support to help me manage my disorder better.

I am aware that I am more independent than many other people with the disorder, but I am not arrogant about this because I'm aware that the only reason this is the case is because I had no option other than to develop independence in order to survive. I have very little contact with my family due to their cruelty when I was a child and I have had to live on my own since I was 17 years old. Everything I've accomplished has come from a combination of hustling to survive and trial and error. Nothing I have achieved couldn't also be gained by someone else under the same circumstances.

That being said, I think I do have some insights that could be helpful for young people struggling with the challenges of ASD as well as NT parents who are looking for some information from people who have the same disorder as their child. I'm happy to share what I've learned to help others avoid some of the pitfalls I suffered as a child and young adult and to raise awareness of the non-typical way that people with ASD think and experience the world.

It's nice to meet everyone and I hope we will have an enjoyable time getting to know one another.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 3:01 pm

Welcome! I hope your wife is okay.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 4:29 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

drlaugh
Veteran