Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 6:20 am

behereyes wrote:
No doubt because of the X-men/autism connection?

These days, yeah. Although I first got into them because of the fact that I was never all that up on how to interact with my peers, so I liked immersing myself in a world where things could be solved by throwing on a costume and punching people out :)

GoonSquad wrote:
Still, my favorite comic book movie of all time is Sin City. That was almost a panel-by-panel adaptation... It was strange to see in a movie, but it’s a fantastic piece of visual art.

That was a great adaptation, I agree. Still, Miller's work sometimes leaves a lot to be desired, especially where women are concerned. Marv is a great character, a strange version of the "knight in shining armour" archetype (as Hartigan is in That Yellow Bastard), but virtually every character in the Sin City continuity is a whore. And even the most prominent non-whore woman, Nancy Callaghan, is a stripper.

Something you want to tell us, Frank? ;)

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 12:30 pm

^^^ Yep, Miller’s been accused of misogyny more than once. I think he might have some issues too, but I don’t think he hates women.

Also, to be fair, his treatment of women isn’t that unusual for comics in general... I’m not saying that’s a good thing. :lol:

gismo
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 12:45 pm

I've allways liked Marvel Comics

Elemental
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 May 2007, 6:03 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
^^^ Yep, Miller’s been accused of misogyny more than once. I think he might have some issues too, but I don’t think he hates women.

He certainly has a fondness for putting prostitutes into everything, as well as for hyper-macho heroes (who often come across as unintentionally homoerotic). His stuff seems to have gone downhill since 2001, to the point where we have All-Star Batman & Robin.

This gives us Batman as an abusive kidnapper with a creepy child molestor vibe.
http://community.livejournal.com/scans_ ... tml#cutid1

It also gives us Wonder Woman as a brooding misanthrope who hates men. We know this because she can't go one panel without thinking about it.

I still suspect the whole series might be some sort of highly elaborate satire.

ASPERGERSJOHN
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2007, 6:07 pm

I dont mind comic books but reading is not one of my best topics.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 6:19 pm

Elemental wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:

He certainly has a fondness for putting prostitutes into everything, as well as for hyper-macho heroes (who often come across as unintentionally homoerotic). His stuff seems to have gone downhill since 2001, to the point where we have All-Star Batman & Robin.

Yeah, Miller peaked a long time ago. DK2 broke me from reading anymore of his superhero related stuff.

Heh, I will probably hafta read Batman vs Al Qaeda... :lol:

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 7:16 pm

Elemental wrote:

The Goddamned Batman, you mean? ;)

Elemental wrote:
This gives us Batman as an abusive kidnapper with a creepy child molestor vibe.

Really? This I did not know.

Elemental wrote:
It also gives us Wonder Woman as a brooding misanthrope who hates men. We know this because she can't go one panel without thinking about it.

I saw this when I flipped through the latest issue in the store. I still can't believe how much of a man-hater Miller's Diana is.

Elemental wrote:
I still suspect the whole series might be some sort of highly elaborate satire.

That might explain a lot of the lunacy contained within it, but not completely.

Elemental
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 May 2007, 3:23 pm

MrSinister wrote:
I saw this when I flipped through the latest issue in the store. I still can't believe how much of a man-hater Miller's Diana is.

And of course, if you hate men, you should wear a miniskirt, high heels and cleavage-enhancing bustier into a meeting with your male teammates. That'll make them take you seriously!

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2007, 6:35 pm

Elemental wrote:
MrSinister wrote:

And of course, if you hate men, you should wear a miniskirt, high heels and cleavage-enhancing bustier into a meeting with your male teammates. That'll make them take you seriously!

:lol: And then, you'll have to randomly make out with the de facto leader of this bunch of men you hate so much, because he... uh... has a big S on his chest, or something.

Tell you what, though: the next time someone stops me from getting somewhere, I am so using the phrase "Out of my way, sperm bank." It's just got to be done (like bellowing "THIS... IS... SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" and kicking somebody into a bottomless pit, for instance).

Trigger11
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2007, 10:57 pm

Love comics. Have every Star Wars and Indiana Jones comic ever printed, as well as some other odds and ends from the late '70s and early-to-mid '80s.

Kimmy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2008, 11:42 am

Elemental wrote:
That said, I do read some scattered stuff from the Big Two.

What do you mean by "the big two"?

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 8:00 pm

Mostly Marvel, and some DC. I prefer one-shots, Elseworlds, What-Ifs and that sort of thing.

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 4:56 pm

Kimmy wrote:
Elemental wrote:
That said, I do read some scattered stuff from the Big Two.

What do you mean by "the big two"?

"The big two" = Marvel Comics & DC Comics.

As opposed to the other companies like Image, Oni, DDP, Virgin Comics, and so on.

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 9:21 am

I'm a huge comic book and cartoon strip fan. Tintin, Asterix, B.C., Garfield, Beavis & Butthead, Futurama (I actually like the comic books better than the TV show), Garfield, FoxTrot, Sherman's Lagoon, The Far Side and Beetle Bailey are some of my favourites.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 9:29 am

Besides the X-men and Sandman I am also a huge fan of comics about Garfield.

Le_Samourai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2008, 10:17 am

I used to be a huge comic book fan when I was little, but nowadays, I just stick with Ghost Rider, Hitman, and some TPBs of Garth Ennis' run on The Punisher