Page 4 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 11:44 pm

motherofhim wrote:
Driving can be all of the above; but it gives one independence and freedom. Is that the part of it that aspies are afraid of? That they have to haul their own load?

No, I seriously doubt it. At least not for me. That's the only part of it that I *LIKE*. I mean I'm very thankful I have a car, and it's basically necessary in many parts of the United States...but it's all the other things I mentioned that I hate about it.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 11:47 pm

hale_bopp wrote:

For your information my Older sister had a serious accident involving a shopping cart when she was little. I was refering to things like cars and planes, biycles and travelling methods.

I'm sorry to hear to that :( I guess that was a bad example. I just meant that driving a car there's always a relatively high risk or hurting someone or yourself, compared to just walking, etc.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 11:55 pm

I hate the high gas prices because I love to go out and just drive around on the empty interstate at 2 in the morning. It's almost a ritual. I'm not sure it's entirely aspie though, my roommate does the same thing! I have to be careful about cops though, I like driving fast and the cops in Texas are very abusive late at night. I've never actually gotten a ticket before though although I have been pulled over for no reason while driving at night.

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 1:23 am

RidgeRunner wrote:
Driving is my stress relief. I unwind myself by unwinding a twisty road. :lol: I LOVE driving in the mountains...

But seriously... I love a good drive. And I too am a manual transmission purist. I was dead set on getting a little sports car recently, but I can't afford a Solstice, decided even a used MR2 Spyder was out of my price range, discovered I don't fit well in a Miata, and I needed something unquestionably reliable (rules out older stuff, even tho I'm handy I don't want to have to tinker with my main transportation) so I gave up for now and got myself something I could afford to drive all over the place - a single-cam Saturn that goes 40 miles per gallon.

Not long after I got it, a kid pulled out in front of me too close for me to miss. OMG DAMAGE CONTROL BRAKE TRY TO GO AROUND crunch.

Now I'm in automatic-transmission hell ('06 cobalt rental, not a bad car really) until my Saturn comes out of the body shop.

Maybe one of these days I'll get one of these:
http://www.stalkerv6.com/
I have a wicked mean idea for a motor build...

I feel your pain. My first car was a Saturn SC2, the DOHC coupe, with a 5-speed. It was sitting parked at my house when these two f***s in an SUV sideswiped her on October 1st. Frame destroyed. Well, actually it wasn't. We found that out from the class action lawsuit against the body shop and insurance company. But anyway, My parent's friend sold me her old Civic with a FOUR SPEED stick. I started hunting for an AE86. I had been searching since October, 2004, and gave up in late March, and was about to start hunting a Merkur XR4Ti (Ford Sierra). Then, May 1st, 2005, My friend Samir gives me a phone call: "Hey, Caleb, are you still looking for an AE86? Because my neighbor is willing to sell his." I have never seen the Civic move that fast! I was at his house in four minutes (he lives 7 minutes away in good traffic). So now I have my baby!

RadiationHazard
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 2:42 am

Both like and hate it.

Feels free, but every time i miss a stoplight, or a stopsight because of sensory overload... I fear that I'm a danger on the road.

Dr. Chase: I'm Australian.

Dr. House: You put the Queen on your money, you're British.

nb411
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 5:29 am

-Loving that Stalker there, esp with the supercharger peeking out :)

-I thought I would also take this opportunity to clarify my earlier comment, I don't drive recklessly or without regard for my own and other peoples safety.

-Oh and Shale, it's a pity you and your bf live on the wrong side of the water :P

stickboy26
Toucan
Toucan

10 May 2007, 10:48 am

I love to drive. I get restless at home sometimes and have to go out and drive around. I get really upset when my car breaks.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 2:55 pm

BTW here is my beautiful motor car
My Beautiful Lotus

Her engine sings I love to drive soo much and soo fast.

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 3:15 pm

GoatOnFire wrote:
I hate the high gas prices because I love to go out and just drive around on the empty interstate at 2 in the morning. It's almost a ritual. I'm not sure it's entirely aspie though, my roommate does the same thing! I have to be careful about cops though, I like driving fast and the cops in Texas are very abusive late at night. I've never actually gotten a ticket before though although I have been pulled over for no reason while driving at night.

Same here, i also like driving verry much.
Especially at high speed, cant stand the 30kmh and 50kmh in the city so i rarely keep to those.
Gasoline now costs 1,44 per litre here wich is terrible.
Since i got my lisence 6 months ago it has gone from 1,22 to 1,44.
I'm verry glad i've not gotten a speeding ticked yet.
Because theyr extremely expencive and there is no way i can afford getting them.

RidgeRunner
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 May 2007, 5:36 pm

Shale wrote:
One of the few girls that will only ever drive something with a real clutch pedal here :P
Hawt. 8) The car is too. I'd love to have one of those, but the STI hasn't been available here for long and is still quite expensive.

TruenoBlues wrote:
I started hunting for an AE86. ..... So now I have my baby!

I figured from your screenname you were a fan of the AE86. :P

iceb wrote:
My Beautiful Lotus

Cooool... let's go for a ride. :lol:

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 7:43 pm

iceb wrote:
My Beautiful Lotus

I, uh, um, um, um, *drools*. Marry me.

Shale
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 7:46 pm

Oh mang. Pity we're all separated by water because this would be a MEAN car meet 8) That Lotus is HOT! And we all know the 86 is secks :D (Y'all know you want to see that 86 chasing my GC8...hurrhurr)

As for the STi not being there long...what about a 2.5RS or similar GC8, strengthened and with a WRX motor dropped in? Common mod in the US community at least, and looks/sounds awesome :D

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 7:49 pm

Shale wrote:
Oh mang. Pity we're all separated by water because this would be a MEAN car meet 8) That Lotus is HOT! And we all know the 86 is secks :D (Y'all know you want to see that 86 chasing my GC8...hurrhurr)

As for the STi not being there long...what about a 2.5RS or similar GC8, strengthened and with a WRX motor dropped in? Common mod in the US community at least, and looks/sounds awesome :D

Nah. Subaru makes a damn good motor, and dropping one into a GC8 is cool, but I have a better use: I need an EJ22 out of the 22b STi. And a Porsche 914. You see where this is going.....

zombie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 8:07 pm

I like doing donuts in the podock and burnouts they are fun aswell :D
But on the road i like that aswell. :D

Donate to the Help make a Film Foundation
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr

RidgeRunner
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 May 2007, 8:58 pm

Shale wrote:

Heh, there was a '99 2.5RS coupe listed for sale when I was car shopping... it was about 100 miles away and I never did get out there to see it though. :(

TruenoBlues wrote:
I need an EJ22 out of the 22b STi. And a Porsche 914. You see where this is going.....
Nah, I'd rather have an aircooled 914.

infact, that'd be a fun little car...
/me looks on ebay to see what they're going for around here

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 9:05 pm

RidgeRunner wrote:
Shale wrote:

Heh, there was a '99 2.5RS coupe listed for sale when I was car shopping... it was about 100 miles away and I never did get out there to see it though. :(

TruenoBlues wrote:
I need an EJ22 out of the 22b STi. And a Porsche 914. You see where this is going.....
Nah, I'd rather have an aircooled 914.

infact, that'd be a fun little car...
/me looks on ebay to see what they're going for around here

Driven one. FUN, but it has the same problem as my AE86, no balls. That's why the Subaru.