Page 1 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 10:53 am

I'm tired of this racist idea of "white privilege" that seems to be so commonly accepted as truth, even by many people who I would usually consider reasonable. Let me explain why this is BS: privileges are special rights or advantages granted to a particular person or group of people. So, if white privilege in America is really so easy to see, why is nobody giving me anything for being white? Shouldn't I be able to get some money or something, just for being white? That is what a white privilege is, after all: a privilege granted specifically and exclusively to whites. So where is my white privilege?

Come to think of it, the only groups I can think of that get special privileges in this country are minorities. Affirmative action comes to mind. And based on the reactions to Milwaukee, black people have the privilege to loot, riot and be openly racist towards whites with minimal backlash or criticism, because, "Well, it's understandable. After all, they're black, and being black makes you disadvantaged and violent, because slavery."

This country is full of racists, but they're not gun-toting rednecks, or skinheads, or Neo Nazis. They are Starbucks-sipping "liberals", riddled with white guilt, who are constantly trying to show how not racist they are by saying whites have a special, unspecified advantage over all minorities known as "white privilege". Oh, but they are one of the good whites, because they recognize their racial superiority ("privilege") in society, and have decided to use their white power to help the poor, vulnerable black people, who are just too weak to help themselves, and have no power.

"White privilege" is the new white power.

- Sherlock Holmes

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 11:20 am

I think the general point is that statistically it's more likely that the 'American dream' works in the sense that it's more likely for an employer to discriminate in favour of the same culture.

Seriously... everything else is your hype... I don't think it makes sense in an individual perspective. If you don't want to help anyone then don't, but people do for all sorts of reasons, not only guilt presumably... (unless somehow 'colour' comes into the equation when panda or trees must also be helped... which would make no sense, unless one isn't human...)

(Tell me you don't subscribe to the whole genocide weirdness...)

Last edited by Mootoo on 30 Aug 2016, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 11:24 am

Oh but Mr. Holmes, priviledge is invisible to those that have it. That's why you have to accept your original sin on faith, because it is extremely real and not a Kafka-trap at all.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 11:41 am

The privilege to walk down the street and not get shot by the cops.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 11:43 am

Just try being black for a day, and gatecrash a KKK event.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 11:49 am

Mootoo wrote:
I think the general point is that statistically it's more likely that the 'American dream' works in the sense that it's more likely for an employer to discriminate in favour of the same culture.

Statistically more likely, huh? So does that mean, because black people are statistically way more likely to commit violent crimes, that I can go around saying they have "black criminality"? Wouldn't you find it a little racist of me to label an entire race based on a statistic in one country?

Quote:
Seriously... everything else is your hype... I don't think it makes sense in an individual perspective. If you don't want to help anyone then don't, but people do for all sorts of reasons, not only guilt presumably... (unless somehow 'colour' comes into the equation when panda or trees must also be helped... which would make no sense, unless one isn't human...)

What about helping people because you believe they are inferior? Would you not find it degrading if people started coddling ("helping") you, and downplaying your abilities, because they assumed all autistic people need such "help", and would be unable to achieve anything without someone with "NT privilege" holding their hand? That's the attitude people have, not towards people with a mental disorder, but towards people with a certain skin color, as if their skin color is somehow disabling. How is that helpful, exactly?

Quote:
(Tell me you don't subscribe to the whole genocide weirdness...)

What is it with you and genocide? For someone who hates genocide, you sure do bring it up a lot, often in conversations that make no mention of genocide and have nothing to do with it. Like this one. FYI, I have no clue what you are talking about.

- Sherlock Holmes

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 11:53 am

What Is 'White Privilege'? Among other things ...

It's waiting at the bus stop without concern for being approach by a police officer and asked why you are there.

It's being pulled over for a traffic violation that you have actually committed.

It's writing a check for groceries and not being asked for your ID.

It's successfully hailing a taxi after sunset.

It's having the taxi driver go into your neighborhood to drop you off in front of your home.

It's being articulate, educated, and well-spoken without people being surprised because of your race.

It's being able to use foul language without people blaming your race.

It's getting a job or a promotion, and no one assuming that it had nothing to do with your qualifications.

It's browsing in a department store without being followed by a security guard.

It's never being expected to act or speak as a representative of all white people everywhere.

It's never having to be aware of - or to even admit to - having any privileges associated with your race.

In other words, "White Privilege" is a catch-all term for the societal privileges that benefit people identified as white in Western countries, beyond what is commonly experienced by non-white people under the same social, political, or economic circumstances.

T minus 27 and counting.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 11:59 am

Misslizard wrote:

So if I point a gun at the cops, they won't shoot me because I'm white, right? And black people are constantly faced with danger walking down the street, because cops are totally allowed to shoot them for being black, right?

Hyperborean wrote:

So far, my only white privilege is being welcome at a rally of white racists. Somehow that doesn't seem like a privilege that black people would want to have, but who am I to say?

- Sherlock Holmes

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 12:16 pm

L_Holmes wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

So if I point a gun at the cops, they won't shoot me because I'm white, right? And black people are constantly faced with danger walking down the street, because cops are totally allowed to shoot them for being black, right?

Hyperborean wrote:

So far, my only white privilege is being welcome at a rally of white racists. Somehow that doesn't seem like a privilege that black people would want to have, but who am I to say?

They do tend to be more likely to be targeted by police yes, I figure this would be kind of common knowledge that cops use racial profiling. Granted that doesn't mean all white people are 'safe' from cops if walking down the street, if you're white and look homeless or have dreadlocks and probably other things. It happened to my brother though nothing came of it...but one time we were with our dad and got pulled over and the cop questioned my brother about needles and searched him saying it would be assault on a cop if he got jabbed by one. So no its not only black people who get unfairly profiled by police, but I believe statistically it happens more often to black people and other minorities.

It is not to the extent a white person pulling a gun on the cops wont result in police action against them.

Also not sure how being welcome at such a rally is a privilege, I'd be insulted to be welcome to that crap.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 12:18 pm

If "social privilege" is harmful to an individual or society at large as a form of discrimination, there are already many remedies in the form of antidiscrimination laws and policies. In America, our chosen political system administers justice when asked to do so by complainants. Any other resolution tilts toward reverse discrimination.

Have a beef about being discriminated against? Seek lawful justice. Every other attempted resolution will fail you.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 12:23 pm

L_Holmes wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Hyperborean wrote:

Sure if you brandish a gun a cop will shoot you,but if you are black you don't need a gun to get shot at or beat down.And yeah,watch the news,black folk do get shot for no good reason by the police.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

30 Aug 2016, 12:59 pm

If 'white privilege' exists then an infinite number of 'privileges' exist, focusing everything on race is well... racist. Would having good parents be a form of privilege? Would having normal brain chemistry be a privilege? Height, place of birth, it could be literally anything. I am not more privileged than Malia Obama, not by any measure on this planet.

Blacks have far more to worry with other blacks in their neighborhoods than they do cops, just because some police have prejudice against blacks does not mean that society revolves totally around it. It is very simplistic and misleading to scream racism at any and everything, most white people are very sheltered and you are right there are a lot of virtue signalers out there that feel the need to prove that they are one of the "good whites." They are clueless and the epitome of useful idiots, their minds are being infected with cultural Marxist garbage in the media and at university. There is a lot of prejudice against lower class whites in this country and there has been since the very beginning but that is apparently okay because of the color of their skin to these people.

Blaming all of your woes on race without ever looking in the mirror or even having any constructive dialogue is definitely a problem

BlasphemousDoggy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Aug 2016, 1:13 pm

Topics like these are exactly why I'm a misanthrope who is openly cynical and untrusting towards every human being on the planet. Why don't more people realize that humans as a whole are completely horrible creatures no matter what our race, gender, age, sexuality, wealth, or religion is? I mean seriously I get sick of these self-centered people who label others to blame for all the problems in the world (plus I get the feeling that they never have any real problems themselves behind their internet identities but I doubt they would ever admit to that because like I said self-centered people).

BTW I am a wh***y myself (well mostly white with a tiny touch of pacific islander). But I'm also a gay atheist with autism and society everywhere doesn't exactly favor any of those kinds of people either. So my point is why don't all of you quit complaining and learn to be more tolerant of other people I mean everybody has something about themselves that the world seems to hate them for no matter who or what they are. This type of stupid selfish thinking is exactly why the world continues to get worse instead of better and I don't give a damn about what kind of negative response I get for saying this because I am just telling it how it really is! Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go back to being distrustful of all humans in the misguided belief that it may actually save me once the poop hits the fan and we enter another World War where individuals like myself will most likely be killed for whatever reason.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 1:18 pm

Let's see what you have for being white:

The ability to not be racial profiled
The ability to not be discriminated for being white
The ability to not be worried about if you faced racism or not
The ability to not fear cops when stopped and the ability to not be pulled over for no reason at all
And of course the majority here are white so of course we have all these white TV stations, the majority are white
The ability to not automatically look suspicious because of your skin color

Quote:
It's writing a check for groceries and not being asked for your ID.

What? I have always been asked for ID when I would write a check. I even get asked for it when I use my credit card sometimes. I am thankful they do this because it's for your protection because what if someone had taken your card and tried to use it? The store certainly doesn't want to lose money and it's to help stop theft so the victim won't lose anymore of their money.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 1:19 pm

Oh, sure, Marxism is utter garbage, Groucho will be sad... is this why Putin needs to be imported? And what is the above except virtue signalling in an attempt to win more at an argument simply by voiding all others'? Ultimately, sure, genetics may be a dis/advantage... the point is to admit it, though... unless you'd want to pass on defects without even knowing... the point is reality, although arguments online are but semantics.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 1:23 pm

The privilege you have for being white is being able to ask what privilege you have for being white, and to expect people to take you and your question seriously.