Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 2:05 pm

This article came up on my news feed this morning:

Quote:
3. May Relieve Autism Symptoms
The research on camel milk’s effect on autism is extremely promising. For instance, a 2005 study was published in the International Journal of Human Development. When several autistic 21 year-olds consumed camel milk for two weeks, they were calmer and exhibited less self-destructive behavior. Meanwhile, the symptoms of a 4-year-old girl who consumed camel milk for 40 days completely disappeared. In addition, a 15-year-old boy also experienced a reprieve from symptoms after drinking camel milk for just 30 days (6).

Other research shows that these impacts might stem from camel milk’s effect on oxidative stress (thought to be a causative factor in autism). Glutathione is one of our body’s most important and abundant antioxidants. It was found to be inhibited in autism patients, which set the stage for behavioral aberrations. Camel milk was found to significantly enhance these levels, as well as provide high levels of magnesium and zinc; they’re also known to reduce oxidative stress (7).

Haven't heard this one before.
I'm off to milk a few camels lol.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 2:10 pm

^ This news brought to you by the American Camel Milk Producers Association.

:mrgreen:

There Are Four Lights!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 2:40 pm

Pass me the camel milk then...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 2:41 pm

Camels have the tendency to act autistic; they are not the most social of animals.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 3:25 pm

Well, I would like to see a proper double blind trial to substantiate the claims.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 3:41 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Quote:
3. May Relieve Autism Symptoms
The research on camel milk’s effect on autism is extremely promising. For instance, a 2005 study was published in the International Journal of Human Development. When several autistic 21 year-olds consumed camel milk for two weeks, they were calmer and exhibited less self-destructive behavior. Meanwhile, the symptoms of a 4-year-old girl who consumed camel milk for 40 days completely disappeared. In addition, a 15-year-old boy also experienced a reprieve from symptoms after drinking camel milk for just 30 days (6).

Other research shows that these impacts might stem from camel milk’s effect on oxidative stress (thought to be a causative factor in autism). Glutathione is one of our body’s most important and abundant antioxidants. It was found to be inhibited in autism patients, which set the stage for behavioral aberrations. Camel milk was found to significantly enhance these levels, as well as provide high levels of magnesium and zinc; they’re also known to reduce oxidative stress (7).

Ew no, that is NOT how you do a study, I'm a psych student and that has all the red flags for horrendous study design. The sample size is far too small to mean anything. And then there is the pseudo-scientific explanation afterwards to give credence for the ignorant. My current professor is actually against the whole scheme of psychology trying hard to be science as he takes it from a more philosophical, but when you get things like this slipping through as "science" it's easier to see his case.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Aug 2016, 3:47 pm

I'd go with "What harm?" If camel's milk won't hurt me, I'll try some. Is this like Dragon's Blood or does it really exist in some store somewhere?

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 6:27 pm

I wonder if a cool, refreshing glass of camel milk would keep me from reaching through the computer and strangling the people who made that advertisement.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 7:15 pm

Claradoon wrote:
I'd go with "What harm?" If camel's milk won't hurt me, I'll try some. Is this like Dragon's Blood or does it really exist in some store somewhere?

The harm might be that its expensive. I dont think that the supply of camel milk is large compared to that of cow's (or even to goat's) milk. Though right now the demand is not great either. So for the moment it may balance out to competitive price.

Curing autism is a claim I choose not to believe for the moment.

Even if it takes away autism it might mess up your head some other way. Didnt Ben Laden grow up drinking Camel milk?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 8:10 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Claradoon wrote:

The harm might be that its expensive. I dont think that the supply of camel milk is large compared to that of cow's (or even to goat's) milk. Though right now the demand is not great either. So for the moment it may balance out to competitive price.

Curing autism is a claim I choose not to believe for the moment.

Even if it takes away autism it might mess up your head some other way. Didnt Ben Laden grow up drinking Camel milk?

Basically this. Someone just wants to cheat people out of their money. That's all this comes down to, people wanting money. No real interest in investigating the nature of autism and improving people's lives.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 8:22 pm

so after all these years they're still selling dr. joe youcantrustme's tonic

cures fatigue, alopecia, lumbago and autism

electrictype
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Aug 2016, 8:36 pm

... huh?

questor
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2016, 9:46 am

Sounds like another snake oil sales pitch--a con job. The "study" sample is too small, microscopic, and the "study" itself was not put together well. Furthermore, there is no proof that the people supposedly helped by camel milk actually exist. Anybody can make any claim they want about anything, but that doesn't make it really so. If you like camel milk, fine. Otherwise, don't waste your money.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2016, 1:10 pm

I'm kind-of a foodie and collector, see Mid East culture as exotic. My ears perk up, when I see Jewish people going on tours, but there is a bias, comparable to 'the ugly American' visiting Mexico. Facial expressions are sometimes exaggerated and easy to read.

I have learned about camel milk, from someone who didn't like Muslims. It is the subject of some unkind videos.

The milk is assumed to be a natural source of hormones, can be unpasteurized, and contains urine, at times. Blamed for MRSA. As one of their only natural resources, in a harsh environment, some people see a camel as the entire supermarket, hardware store, and pharmacy. So, it's good for everything!

High in fat and protein, and soothing to baby camels, a clean and reliable product might have it's uses. Are we talking about a stylish sort-of establishment, selling novelty foods, or do you know the farmer, personally?

Quote:
Praise be to Allaah. :roll:

The hadeeth referred to by the questioner is a saheeh hadeeth, in which it says that some people came to Madeenah and fell sick. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) :roll: told them to drink the milk and urine of camels, and they recovered and grew fat.

https://islamqa.info/en/83423

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2016, 1:17 pm

It's not camel milk, it's snake oil and it's all a bunch of quackery nonsense.

I'm sick of hearing how everything I was told was good for me as a kid will now kill me. Except fish with mercury in it, because I've never liked fish.

It's shocking and saddening how many people who are so gullible or desperate to be "cured" only end up having their lives ruined by the quacks. I've been to that website Quackwatch, and they have some real horror stories about the victims. :(

Anyway, this is just one of the reasons why I blocked the news feed on Facebook.