What subculture are/were you in high school?

Page 3 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What subculture do/did you belong to in high school?
Nerd 18%  18%  [ 48 ]
Jock 2%  2%  [ 5 ]
Preppy (of the Ralph Lauren, J. Crew, Izod variety) 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Prep (of the American Eagle, Abercrombie & Fitch, Structure variety) 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Goth 3%  3%  [ 9 ]
Emo kid 3%  3%  [ 9 ]
Skater/punk/skatepunk 1%  1%  [ 4 ]
Hippie/stoner 5%  5%  [ 14 ]
Beatnik 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Hip-hop 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Metalhead 7%  7%  [ 18 ]
Hipster 2%  2%  [ 5 ]
Surfer 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Trendy 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Grunger 3%  3%  [ 8 ]
Loner 23%  23%  [ 62 ]
Outcast 16%  16%  [ 44 ]
Other 11%  11%  [ 30 ]
I am/was homeschooled 2%  2%  [ 6 ]
I'm not in high school yet 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 274

brightonpete
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2018, 6:56 am

I picked 'loner' as that was pretty much it.

But... it was a mad rush at lunch to the cafeteria to be able to play Euchre. There was only one game going, so if you weren’t in the first 4, you only watched.

I’m sure if I was a student these days, I’d have been bullied to death. As it was way back when, there was only light teasing. Phew for me!

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 6:01 pm

I was an odd combination of the nerd, the loner and the class clown (if that counts).

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 8:30 am

I was a pure outcast. Even the nerds didn't seem to like me, but I got along great with most of my teachers

I guess that classifies me as the "teacher's pet". :P

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 8:41 am

Nerd / Loner / Outcast.

But when word of my successes got back to some of my former classmates, they tracked me down for handouts, claiming that we had been best friends throughout high school. It gave me great satisfaction to call them out on their lies, and to deny them their requests.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 10:06 am

Fnord wrote:
Nerd / Loner / Outcast.

But when word of my successes got back to some of my former classmates, they tracked me down for handouts, claiming that we had been best friends throughout high school. It gave me great satisfaction to call them out on their lies, and to deny them their requests.

Gee I wish I could experience that. :lol:

I doubt most of my former classmates even remember that I existed.

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 10:36 am

I am both isolated voluntarily (loner) and involuntarily (outcast). I also do well in school and take high-level classes (nerd). Adding to the nerd part, I wear glasses and have a deep passion for science. I even joined Science Olympiad to test my true skills, but I left since I felt too isolated and unwelcome. (No student sat in the table group I sat in or even talked to me.)

There are people at my school who drink underage, use illegal/abuse legal drugs, and/or possibly smoke/vape. I am not part of their league, for I do none of those and don't intend to in the future. Though not considered a loser or outcast myself, I hang out with friends, some of whom preps may think of as losers or outcasts.

TL;DR — I am a nerd, outcast, and loner.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 3:38 pm

Art kid/loner

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 3:59 pm

I was friends mostly with the hippies/ arty and emo kids. the "alternative" crowd. but also a loner cos they were more friends with each other. they were nice tho ~

Last edited by Gallia on 08 Dec 2018, 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 4:01 pm

Fnord wrote:
Nerd / Loner / Outcast.

ahah when i got into Cambridge suddenly so many people messaged me who had ignored me at school!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2019, 2:43 pm

Had zero friends in highschool. So didn't fit in any category except "loner" (what I checked), or maybe "outcast".

Wasn't until college that I got involved in both socially acceptable things (like clubs), and socially unacceptable things (like drugs and drinking). The junior high science fiction club was about a fifty fifty mix of counter culture freaks and science geeks (the leader was Dexter of the Dexter's Lab cartoon show come to life). Never read a word of science fiction before I joined the club, but joined it anyway because I felt that I fit in with that mix of folks. Which I did pretty much. So some combo of freak-and-geek would be my "youth culture" identity.

little gator
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Mar 2019, 1:44 pm

Arty freak.

working on getting diagnosed either way

Laeril
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Mar 2019, 11:08 pm

I was in a very strange position in high school. I was definitely a loner, but I was also in choir and drama, which in my high school was higher in the pecking order than the football team. Yes, really. So while I didn't really socialize with anyone, I was kind of cool just by proximity.

TazCrystal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jun 2019, 5:53 pm

I was a lot of things. I wore a lot of black and had a nose piercing (still have it). I also listened to a mixture of punk, goth and metal music. I listened to mostly old metal though and old punk. I like a band called Public Image Limited. I wore a lot of weird things too. I used to wear black or blue dickies or a pair of blue jeans with holes in them. I also wore a lot of converse and dr martens. I still wear a lot of the same things.

I also got a tattoo when I was 18. It is an American traditional snake. I like old school style too. I like old cars. I cannot drive though. I love car shows. In high school I was very into tattoos and cars. I still am. I am not really sure what subculture I was. I just tried a lot of things out. I also smoked a lot of pot in high school with my older cousin. I didn't get paranoid when I smoked with him. Most people at my school didn't really bother to try to get to know me. I tried to make friends though. I think it was because I was in special education classes mostly and some normal classes. When I was in normal classes I would go to the learning support room and get help