The Dawn of Autistic Space - Excerpt from NeuroTribes

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

AuntieMatter
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 May 2018, 2:04 pm

Hyperborean wrote:
alex wrote:
I think most communities are made up of individuals with some conflicting beliefs. For instance, Wrong Planet has a community made up of a very diverse group of people who do share many similarities.

Yes, I agree. But the differences of opinion within the neurodiversity movement are quite extreme and often destructive, which makes it difficult for it to act as a cohesive community IRL for people with autism and other conditions. But as I said, maybe young people with AS will change that.

As there have been a few comparisons, it's worth noting that the LGBTQ movement has always featured internal conflict, disagreement, schism, vitriol, and internal discrimination. No successful movement is free from internal conflict. The internal conflict is important. It's part of the process - a means of identifying issues and omissions, if nothing else.

I'm queer and I'm autistic, and I move in and out of those respective communities at different times. The strongest similarities I see between both groups is that both have been dehumanised, and both have been pathologised. Now, as the times change, both become identities. Something you are, rather than something you have.

I think a community can be real even if it's only online. A group whose members have a shared feature will become a movement if those members decide that shared feature causes them to be treated badly, and decide to do something about it.

Red1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jan 2022, 2:06 pm

This is a great book. The history of recognizing and standardizing the signs and symptoms of autism was fascinating. How much more do we have to learn? Thank you, Mr. Silberman. I've recommended your book to many people in the field.

gom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Feb 2022, 1:02 am

First Post, so hello.

I finished NeuroTribes last night. I agree that the history is upsetting, but it's better to know. I had thought I knew most of this after obsessing for years, but I got a ton of information, and the placement of the information in historical context mattered so much, especially about the specter of eugenics. I've studied this before, but Silberman draws a very clear line from point to point, and slyly demonstrates how bad "science" could be (from physiognomy through refrigerator mothers and vitamin c miracle cures.) Wrong Planet also got a shout out. Nice!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 10:30 am

gom wrote:
First Post, so hello.

I finished NeuroTribes last night. I agree that the history is upsetting, but it's better to know. I had thought I knew most of this after obsessing for years, but I got a ton of information, and the placement of the information in historical context mattered so much, especially about the specter of eugenics. I've studied this before, but Silberman draws a very clear line from point to point, and slyly demonstrates how bad "science" could be (from physiognomy through refrigerator mothers and vitamin c miracle cures.) Wrong Planet also got a shout out. Nice!

Welcome to Wrong Planet

Most of what was in the book was new to me.

On a personal level learning how Autism was viewed and dealt with during the “Refrigerator Mother” era when I was a child made me feel fortunate that I was not diagnosed then despite all the hardships and errors made by me out of ignorence.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman