Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 8:34 pm

If only I could have been one of those aspies with little to no interest in socialization.

I'd take a pill to make me an aromantic asexual who doesn't feel romantic loneliness if there ever were such a thing.

I'd be able to pursue my hobbies and interests and do whatever I want in life if my depression causing loneliness wasn't such a cripple in my life.

I don't think I could bare being alone at age 40 and beyond if it means I could use all my extra time to channel my energy into things other than a relationship. That idea does sound appealing, but it also wouldn't be impossible to do if I were living off disability at 40 yet had a girlfriend/wife and some good friends as well.

I do care a lot about social status and what others might think of me if I remain alone in life for too long (e.g. virginity, lack of relationship experience, etc. is stigmatized and judged by society at a certain point, say age 25 and that's being reasonable) but I'm sure I'll reach the point where I don't care how different or behind my peers I am.

It's not about my social status or image but about me and myself.

But personally I want true love and true friendship in my life.

Not because of what others think or expect of me, but because that is what I want.

So much human potential is simply wasted due to our such strong need for socialization.

A need for socialization is necessary, of course; we wouldn't have survived if we didn't care about our family, friends, tribe, etc. and if we felt no interest in romance or the need to procreate.

Still, I feel the need for socialization is too strong in this species sometimes.

Think of all the great minds in the world and throughout history.

Many of them spent most of their time alone, many died virgins or lonely.

They were hermits who isolated themselves to work on their craft.

Da Vinci, Newton, Tesla, Einstein, etc.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 8:47 pm

Einstein was actually pretty social, though quirky.

He was actually an amiable fellow with a good sense of humor.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 12:18 am

Outrider
I wish they'd invent then pills from a movie where it removes all emotions.
Life's be better for me then

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 10:45 am

I feel the same, Outrider and sly. You know that It Gets Better campaign? If there was one for autism/aspergers, it would be It Gets Worse! That's pretty much how life has felt for me despite how some told me adulthood would be better. As I said before, it's hard for me to put aside the relationship search because I'll see some guy treating his girlfriend poorly but she'll still stick with him while I have to deal with being alone. The bad boys and pretty boys have freedom of choice while I am told I can't have that because of so and so.