Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 9:01 pm

In Neal Gabler's semi-official biography " Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination " Disney is quoted as recalling a " mildly ret*d " cousin?? of his who , in his Midwestern youth , he would see occasionally as said cousin , despite his status , traveled at will around the area/region ! (I'm not sure if the quote literally referred to him as " hopping freights " though .) This only a very brief reference , quoting a reference in a " Walt Disney Remembers " kind oif article in a post-WWII issue of the Saturday Evening Post .
Now , this would've been the 1890s?? 1900s?? - I am thinking that , as far as the language they used then , this cousin might've been more accurately , by to-day's language , diagnosed as " one of us " .
Really - Can anyone , please , find out more about this cousin ?
What kind of influence could he have been on the Mouseman :mrgreen: ? Maybe it's a little bit too " Yeah , we're bigtime ! " too imagine he inspired Uncle Walt's great imagination , buutt...:wink: :!:
The original article's reference may've been brief , and an contemporary piece in the " sweetness and light "-ish old SatEvePost may not have been real deep by to-day's standards but...

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2016, 9:17 pm

...I really thought this would get some responses :P !

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2016, 10:59 pm

I've tried to find some information on his cousin, but I couldn't. I'm guessing the term that he used to describe his cousin was all that people knew in the day. If he was around today, he would more likely than not be classified as an aspie. Autism wasn't known at the time that the article was written.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 4:25 pm

It has been speculated for many years that Walt Disney may have had AS himself.