I don't want kids but the cousin I am closest to has them.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 5:08 am

Alright so I really like my cousins baby, he is super cute as of now he doesn't talk yet but he points at everything. It is just really cute, I don't want kids of my own, but I still want to be a cool relative to my cousins son. i just don't know I mean I have a boyfriend now and we went to an amusement park with the baby in a strollar and my boyfriend was pushing the stroller in ways that were fun for the baby...we don't want kids but I mean I would be delighted to babysit my cousins baby if she had stuff to do, if he'd put up with it, he gets a little nervous when she's not around in sight.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 5:15 am

I think that's normal. I love kids and enjoy time with them, either through work or otherwise, but don't want them. I know I can't handle a child around the clock. I like the idea of having one, but that's very different than the reality. But, I do enjoy things like you're describing.

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 5:47 am

The children I can tolerate the most are my young family members. Most children bother me and at times remind me of the abuse I dealt with when I was their age. :(

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 7:23 am

I'm the same, I don't want kids of my own and I'm glad, now, that I didn't have the round-the-clock burden, as I don't think I could have handled the stress. But I'm "good with kids" and have had responsible care-time with a ton of nieces, nephews, and worked as a nanny for older children. Kids of all ages seem to like me and I like them as long as there's a "handing-back-to-mom" point in time.

I did go through a phase many years ago, when both my parents had just died, I happened to be married at the time, and I longed for us to start a family; I got a very, very primal, strong urge that seemed to be triggered by this surge of generational emotion from losing the family of my own origin, and getting this massive, basic sense of a need to create my own new one. I think that was a profoundly "instinctive" thing that kicked in, in my brain and hormones, and rising out of deep loss and grief.

It eventually passed and I'm okay again now with not having any.

I also think that because I was made an Auntie from a very young age, due to being the youngest of a large family who all grew up and had babies that I was looking after even when I myself was still a kid too, I'd "seen enough" lol!

I seriously was at such close range of not just observation of my siblings being parents in all its challenges, but also was responsible for those kids too, taking them places alone, etc, that I almost felt like I'd had a small window into a glimpse of it and didn't need to do it too. Other people's kids in my life kind of let me know I didn't want to go that route myself.

Quiet Water
Raven
Raven

11 Sep 2016, 8:16 am

I have other medical issues that would likely make having kids of my own a Bad Idea, and I told my husband all the details before he proposed. I don't like the smells or (especially) the sounds of babies anyway, but once our nieces/nephews were old enough to talk and be interesting company, we were perfectly positioned to be the Cool Aunt and Uncle - we've even taken one with us on weekend vacations centered around activities that the teenager's own parents had no time for and little interest in, much to the relief of the sibling and sibling-in-law who enjoyed the weekend break from parenting as much as much as we enjoyed bringing their kid with us for just a couple of days.

helloarchy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Sep 2016, 8:39 am

Thats nice that you feel that way. Being auntie or uncle is one of the best positions to experience kids from. You get to experience the nice side of having kids, and when you've had enough you can hand them back. Actually having kids is far different. You get all the ugly side and you cant walk away.