Page 6 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2016, 8:34 pm

dianthus wrote:
This is just so bizarre when people say the EXACT opposite of what they mean. I will never believe that we are the ones who have a problem for not understanding it. I don't care if they comprise the majority, that is just dysfunctional behavior.

Damn right!

RabidFox wrote:
I don't understand how that makes any sense. Why would a person choose their friends instantly? They would have nothing in common with them if they did. You need to choose friends based on information. I've never met anyone that just jumps into friendships.

A lot of it is based on attraction, they will judge you based on external traits; rich/poor, doesn't really matter if you're an a$$ 'ol. Most people are fickle, so you rarely find out who they truly are. They pretend to enjoy sports & drinking just to fit in with the rest, but in reality they hate it.
I keep people distant now, so they don't have any information to pass judgement on me.
Women think I am "mysterious" lol

I got a girlfriend once, because she thought I was cool ignoring people. I've decided to go back to that, instead of trying to be friendly.
Also I enjoy making myself look extremely weird - erratic shaving (leaving long spots all over the place) and cutting my hair with scissors. My family freaks out. I see teenagers looking at me and wispering. This fills me with joy, they see things it freaks them out but due to their 'rules' they can't comment on it. I feel no shame. They will judge me for little things, so I may as well give them big things to pass judgement on.

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 8:56 pm

League_Girl wrote:
When I have gone to aspie potlucks, we always brought our dish home when we left and at my husband's cousin's wedding, we all had to bring a dish and we all took ours as we left.

My experience with potlucks also is the opposite of the rule the OP posted.

Leaving your leftovers behind can be considered rude in that you expect the host to eat all the leftovers, clean up your dish and return it to you whether or not they liked your contribution enough to eat it all. It is certainly polite to offer portions to other attendees to a potluck, but not to force the leftovers on them.

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 9:16 pm

momofmax wrote:
I do, usually, decide whether I like someone shortly after meeting them. Not necessarily within the first few seconds. I will know, for sure, after a decent sized conversation. I am drawn to women that dress similar to my style. To me, it just says that we have some things in common. That is in no way, the reason I like someone though. Sometimes it really is just a "feeling." I would think aspies get that same feeling sometimes, no?

I have never gotten that feeling. I can't just have one conversation with someone and be able to tell if they're friend material; I need to have talked to them for multiple days, which is hard to do because you usually have to develop some sort of rapport in order to talk to someone multiple times over a course of days or weeks, and I don't really know how to form that rapport, hence me having no friends.

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 11:48 pm

"-Nt's decide if they like you the first few seconds of meeting you
-Nt's first impressions are based off clothes and facial expression- and thats it, it doesn't matter what you say or who you are on the inside"

It's true that NTs draw conclusions based on someone's appearances (everyone does, to some degree), but it's the young/immature ones who make that the only or primary factor in assessing someone. Most of us know that a first impression is just that and that there is a lot more to someone than their looks. The fact that people can't be summed up so quickly--and that people aren't so simple and static--isn't a secret. Similarly, grown-up NTs know that someone's outward appearance may have little or nothing to do with a person's character.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend these as "rules" at all.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2016, 1:05 pm

I thought the same until I saw the OP's age. The truth is that a lot of young people are still operating like that. One hopes that they get over it soon. But when you are young, you haven't learned how to see and value deeper traits than appearance.

I guess my advice would be to look for people who don't act like that.