Page 13 of 13 [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 6:24 pm

Quote:

Quote:
I have very critical, even potentially life threatening needs, that make me require services in order to survive.

Doesn’t sound like simple accommodations to me like working from home or a job that doesn’t req speaking to people. Your life depends on it so it’s pretty serious and medical.

I don't understand what you mean.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 6:25 pm

Joe90 wrote:
What are we supposed to call it? 'Autism Spectrum cabbages'?

It is a disorder, even if you believe it means something else. You can call a shovel an ice-cream but it will still be a shovel.
Personally, I think neurotypicality is a disorder.

Wreck It Ralph

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 6:32 pm

The horse-and-buggy is obsolete. Try using one as your primary means of transportation. In some places, like Amish country, they're still thriving. On the whole, relying on a horse-and-buggy isn't gonna work.

I'm glad some on the spectrum feel they're not disabled. Good for them. Their that minority of horse-and-buggy that can get by and even thrive in its niche situation. Reading through this website, most of us are clearly disabled or at a major disadvantage in life.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 6:37 pm

Having a “disability” doesn’t make one “less of a person.”

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 2:00 am

skibum wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
I have very critical, even potentially life threatening needs, that make me require services in order to survive.

Doesn’t sound like simple accommodations to me like working from home or a job that doesn’t req speaking to people. Your life depends on it so it’s pretty serious and medical.

I don't understand what you mean.

I meant if your life depends on it then it’s serious.

But none of that is relevant autism is defined by its deficits.

If a person is unable to do a core skill that humans should do like walking or talking then they have a disorder.

Think of it like a tick sheet of functioning for the human animal requiring a binary answer - can you talk?, can you live on your own, if the answer is no the person has a medical disorder.

Anyone can claim if they lived in a perfect world where they had $100 million in the bank and team of servants that got them everything they needed they wouldn’t be disabled.

The problem is life is not like that

- George Bernie Shaw

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 6:55 am

Additionally not sure why many in the autism community find it so difficult to acknowledge they have a medical disorder?

It seems many on here would rather de- humanize themselves by labeling themselves as a different human species or part Neanderthal DNA rather than a normal human with a disability caused by a scientifically unknown medical disorder.

Maybe they are oblivious to the dangers of de-humanizing? Maybe they need to see some old 30s clips of hitlers Germany to see what viewing people as anything other than human can lead to? No less it makes people easier to kill and others less bothered about them being killed.

Is acknowledging one is “not broken” but has a medical disorder so hard, doesn’t seem to be hard for other disabilities like schizophrenia or learning disabled why autistic people who are disabled by the condition and know there are things they are unable to do.

- George Bernie Shaw

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 7:28 am

^ No.
Your cultures' context is strange IMO. :lol: It's not just you.

From where I came from, it is acknowledged both as a medical condition AND a state of being.
And both can be permanent or temporary -- identification is a choice.
There is no denial it is a disability nor it denies the benefit of being one.

In your culture -- autistic communities based in similar cultures -- it is polarized.

As much as you're baffled at people who thought autism is not a disability -- and those who don't would deny it...

I'm just as baffled why both groups do not understand that it is not a contradiction. :twisted:

You speak of the medical and the social models.
But perhaps that's where the dichotomy lies within your's and other's of how it is taken into context -- the lack collective social concept to apply both at the same time and space.

This is not a disagreement to your view.
This is an acknowledgement that the polarization from where you came from exists.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 8:28 am

I really don't think something with 100+ genes associated with it is going to get a proper consensus on this type of topic. Some people may have certain issues that genuinely, 100% disable them, and some people would probably be able to get by with few ""accommodations" that wouldn't even be needed if society functioned a bit different and are not entirely disabled. It's a useless argument, and it's useless to try to dictate how other people feel about and refer to their autism.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 8:52 am

Basically (just like spinal bifida):

There will be people who are severely disabled by autism.

There will be people who are hardly disabled by autism.

And there will be people who are somewhere n between the above.

This reflects what some people have said previously.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 9:22 am

I'm very much an in- betweener with my set of disabilities.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 9:44 am

Edna3362 wrote:
^ No.
Your cultures' context is strange IMO. :lol: It's not just you.

From where I came from, it is acknowledged both as a medical condition AND a state of being.
And both can be permanent or temporary -- identification is a choice.
There is no denial it is a disability nor it denies the benefit of being one.

In your culture -- autistic communities based in similar cultures -- it is polarized.

As much as you're baffled at people who thought autism is not a disability -- and those who don't would deny it...

I'm just as baffled why both groups do not understand that it is not a contradiction. :twisted:

You speak of the medical and the social models.
But perhaps that's where the dichotomy lies within your's and other's of how it is taken into context -- the lack collective social concept to apply both at the same time and space.

This is not a disagreement to your view.
This is an acknowledgement that the polarization from where you came from exists.
You are right in what you say. The reason I don't personally like the word disorder for ASD is because I, personally, truly believe that we are the original design. That is my personal conviction. I believe that neurotypicality was a divergence of Autism. But that's just what I believe and I will not change my belief in that. I respect that other people don't believe that and that is their right.

Wreck It Ralph

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 1:38 am

Re earlier posts about the 'World genius directory'. The owner of the site has openly admitted that his WIT, WITT,WITTY tests have multiple correct answers per question. He subjectively rates which are the most correct answers . He's also more than willing to have scores listed from tests he actually regards as being rubbish.

Very few people on the list,including myself, could be regarded as a 'genius'. Many could be regarded as being exceptionally to moderately gifted. For me being on such lists is a desperate, last ditch, attempt to deny that I'm one of life's abject failures.