Page 12 of 13 [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Sep 2016, 12:01 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I still don't believe that "environmental factors" after birth play much of a role in autism.

Perhaps, in utero, "environmental factors" might play more of a role.

I think after birth environmental factors such as parenting has a very large role in how severe the existing autism presents.

AH yes, well this is exactly what I meant really! I started putting together a list of the environmental factors that might affect where someone might fall on the spectrum. The vaccines stuff - oh god, that is such a can of worms. But while i reckon diet, good health, toxins, illness and so on, could have some role.. I think the MAIN factors to my mind, would be parenting, schooling, lack of close trusted friendships/secure relationships, community.. traumatic experiences often before conscious memory. Coupled with this deep sensitivity so pre-disposition to reacting with falling apart, and withdrawal.. anyway I'm interested in other people's thoughts on this..

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 3:53 pm

I'm listed higher than these people on the WGD.

Dr Eick Sternhagen Fields of education: Economy, Latin, ev. theology, Doctorate in Latin of late Middle Ages, Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster – WWU, University of Münster, Germany.

Dr Manahel Thabet The youngest – and only – Arab with a PhD in Financial Engineering, she writes research papers on quantum mathematics. Her work to revolutionize our understanding of math and physics is poised to earn her a second PhD, at the age of 32.

Dr Donato Stolfa Nutritionist Biologist Specialized in Human Nutrition

Dr Jeremy Saget Weightless Flight Surgeon
ZeroG Instructor
United Nations rotary wing Aeromedical Evacuations Flight Surgeon

Dr Bishoy Goubran Bishoy Goubran, MD. Is a clinical researcher in the field of Behavioral and Cardiovascular medicine. Bishoy’s research line is in psychosomatic medicine

Dr Daniel Piersee Doctor of Pharmacy in Pharmacy @ University of Iowa

Dr Jawdat Wehbe Cardiologist - electrophysiologist · Heart and vessels

However my practical, daily living, skills lag far behind. I get a fair amount of support.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 3:54 pm

No, disorder is the most accurate part. Otherwise I wouldn't be so scatter-brained.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 4:01 pm

Kiriae wrote:
ASD without D is AS. And Asperger Syndrome doesn't have to be a disorder. :D
Asperger's Syndrome is more of a Situation than a disorder.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 9:07 am

Disorder or not, it is irrelevant.

A functioning person is still a functioning person with an explanation of why the label.

A dysfunctional person is still a dysfunctional person with an explanation regardless of label.

If both parties decide to divide merely because of this, it means they're just caught up in that stupid game.
A person who is coping, label or not, is still a person who is coping until they don't have to.

Whether or not naming the unnameable a name gives a person a peace of mind or greater dread...
It is truly up to the person in question whether or not one would optimize the purpose of the label.

It mattered a little if it's a condition or a disorder -- only sentiments that is usually drawn from whatever one is conditioned or longing with.

I say learn how to detach -- both the positive and the negative sentiments of.
Have a thought experiment in terms of labels and identities to better yourself both knowing good and bad -- than cling and impose others of it.

To be stuck by overindulgence, catastrophism or denial would either cause mental illness or is a sign of mental illness.
It is rooted by sentiments around one's identity nonetheless.

Circumstances beyond that -- is another.
But not everyone knows what they're doing -- how to tease it apart, how intricate it could be, and where it ends and begins.

It is still in human nature to long change, dreaming to prevent whatever anxieties, all the what-ifs, look at greener grasses or whatnot.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Aug 2021, 10:28 am

It’s not a disorder to me, just a different type of brain.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 12:59 pm

balaam wrote:
Can we drop the D in ASD? I mean that I do not feel like I have a disorder, this is me, take it or leave it.

Yes I do find difficulty fitting in sometimes. I find social occasions where you are expected to mingle oppressive. I am not being antisocial gravitating to the corners, I'm not surrounded in corners.

But finding difficulty fitting in and not fitting in are two different things. We find our own ways of coping. Here up on the High functioning side of the spectrum it does not need to be a disorder as such, so can we drop the D and just talk about the Autism Spectrum?
I would like that.

Wreck It Ralph

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 2:12 pm

Does it really matter?, i mean do they think intelligent people are fooled?

Someone is autistic & needs a carer, help and cannot live independently because they have err... a disorder.

Everyone knows its because they have a disorder, calling it a condition doesnt change anyone`s opinion.

Heres`s a website about the "condition" of heart failure. No doubt someone out there will start saying but heart failure is just a difference in cardiac rhythm and shouldnt be called a disorder so lets use the word condition. :D

By the way the reason why autistic people may get help in the first place is beacuse they have a disorder. Black & gay people are different but they dont receive welfare, housing, special schools because they are black or gay. Autistic people get them because their autism may make them disabled, having a disability is a disorder.

No doubt someone with hf aspergers will say it doesnt feel like "i" have a disorder, just like the man with specticles might say it doesnt feel like im blind. Thats why autism is a spectum disorder.

https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/ ... rt-failure

Quote:
Heart failure is a serious condition, and usually there’s no cure. But many people with heart failure lead a full, enjoyable life when the condition is managed with heart failure medications and healthy lifestyle changes. It’s also helpful to have the support of family and friends who understand your condition.

- George Bernie Shaw

Last edited by carlos55 on 22 Aug 2021, 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 2:14 pm

I thought this was about the LGBT when I first saw the title and I had to rack my brain for a moment to figure out where the "D" is in "LGBT"... I'm not the smartest cookie out there. :scratch:

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 2:30 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I thought this was about the LGBT when I first saw the title and I had to rack my brain for a moment to figure out where the "D" is in "LGBT"... I'm not the smartest cookie out there. :scratch:
Funny! :lol:

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 2:33 pm

carlos55 wrote:

Someone is autistic & needs a carer, help and cannot live independently because they have err... a disorder.

Everyone knows its because they have a disorder, calling it a condition doesnt change anyone`s opinion.

Heres`s a website about the "condition" of heart failure. No doubt someone out there will start saying but heart failure is just a difference in cardiac rhythm and shouldnt be called a disorder so lets use the word condition. :D

By the way the reason why autistic people may get help in the first place is beacuse they have a disorder. Black & gay people are different but they dont receive welfare, housing, special schools because they are black or gay. Autistic people get them because their autism may make them disabled, having a disability is a disorder.

No doubt someone with hf aspergers will say it doesnt feel like "i" have a disorder, just like the man with specticles might say it doesnt feel like im blind. Thats why autism is a spectum disorder.

Quote:
Heart failure is a serious condition, and usually there’s no cure. But many people with heart failure lead a full, enjoyable life when the condition is managed with heart failure medications and healthy lifestyle changes. It’s also helpful to have the support of family and friends who understand your condition.
I receive services because my Autism is disabling, not because it is a disorder. And black people do have some services we receive not because we are disordered but because our minority status often puts us at a disadvantage. I am not gay so I do not know if there are services for them.

Wreck It Ralph

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 3:38 pm

skibum wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

Quote:
I receive services because my Autism is disabling, not because it is a disorder. And black people do have some services we receive not because we are disordered but because our minority status often puts us at a disadvantage. I am not gay so I do not know if there are services for them.

Semantics in action here :D Black people only receive services where they may be a victim of racial discrimination or poverty, which is not the same. Barack Obama is black im sure he doesnt receive any special services for the colour of his skin.

Some autistic people are disabled, they may receive disability welfare because they cannot work and look after themselves, like the autistic adult with the living skills of a 3 year old.

They cannot work or support themselves because they have a disability

A disability is a medical problem with the normal functioning of the human body like walking for example, if using autism i.e humans have evolved to have a voicebox to be able to communicate, many autistic people are unable to talk, in other words use their voice box as nature intended, so its a fault or medical disorder just like having a severed spine.

Autistic people are unable to do many other things NT`s are able to do that`s essential for independent living due to a genetic / biological fault, in other words a disorder.

- George Bernie Shaw

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 4:05 pm

carlos55 wrote:
skibum wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

Quote:

Semantics in action here :D Black people only receive services where they may be a victim of racial discrimination or poverty, which is not the same. Barack Obama is black im sure he doesnt receive any special services for the colour of his skin.

Some autistic people are disabled, they may receive disability welfare because they cannot work and look after themselves, like the autistic person with the living skills of a 3 year old.

A disability is a problem with the normal functioning of the human body, i.e humans have evolved to have a voicebox to be able to communicate, many autistic people are unable to talk, or unable to do other things NT`s are able to do thats essential for independent living due to a genetic / biological fault, in other words a disorder.
Not always. You are only talking about the medical modrl of disability. I have to receive welfare because I am Autistic and I am disabled because of the social model of disability. If I were allowed to be accommodated, or if society just made minor changes in respect and consideration, and I am talking about really minor changes that wouldn't cost anything, my Autism would not be disabling. But because they refuse to, I am not only disabled by my Autism, I am actually so crippled by it that I can no longer work at all in any capacity and I have very critical, even potentially life threatening needs, that make me require services in order to survive.

I am not severely disabled because I am Autistic. I am severely disabled because society is set up in such a way that makes me unable to function with the differences in my physiology.

Wreck It Ralph

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 5:31 pm

skibum wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
skibum wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

Quote:

Some autistic people are disabled, they may receive disability welfare because they cannot work and look after themselves, like the autistic person with the living skills of a 3 year old.

A disability is a problem with the normal functioning of the human body, i.e humans have evolved to have a voicebox to be able to communicate, many autistic people are unable to talk, or unable to do other things NT`s are able to do thats essential for independent living due to a genetic / biological fault, in other words a disorder.
Not always. You are only talking about the medical modrl of disability. I have to receive welfare because I am Autistic and I am disabled because of the social model of disability. If I were allowed to be accommodated, or if society just made minor changes in respect and consideration, and I am talking about really minor changes that wouldn't cost anything, my Autism would not be disabling. But because they refuse to, I am not only disabled by my Autism, I am actually so crippled by it that I can no longer work at all in any capacity and I have very critical, even potentially life threatening needs, that make me require services in order to survive.

I am not severely disabled because I am Autistic. I am severely disabled because society is set up in such a way that makes me unable to function with the differences in my physiology.

Quote:
I have very critical, even potentially life threatening needs, that make me require services in order to survive.

Doesn’t sound like simple accommodations to me like working from home or a job that doesn’t req speaking to people. Your life depends on it so it’s pretty serious and medical.

- George Bernie Shaw

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 6:14 pm

On account of being a schizophrenic person I'm disabled, with or without the ASD diagnosis. Whether the ASD significantly increases the level of disability I don't feel confident enough to say.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 6:18 pm

What are we supposed to call it? 'Autism Spectrum cabbages'?

It is a disorder, even if you believe it means something else. You can call a shovel an ice-cream but it will still be a shovel.