Deinonychus

14 Sep 2016, 10:02 pm

give examples

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2016, 12:00 am

Being able to start conversations.

Knowing when it's your turn to speak during a conversation.

Keeping away from someone when that someone wants to be alone.

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2016, 12:53 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

r my social skills
limited

nobodycaresaboutme
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Sep 2016, 1:25 am

social skills usually refers to how nt socialize, and the burden of adaptation falls on us because they are more

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2016, 8:56 am

Random1, can you give examples of times when you have heard people talk about YOUR social skills?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2016, 9:49 am

Knowing what you shouldn't say and keep to yourself

The ability to control your behavior and impulse

Being able to talk about things you are not into

Being able to listen

The ability to get along with people

The ability to be tactful

The ability to read body language and getting non verbal hints

Not talking about the same things over and over

Not taking over conversations and letting other people have a turn to speak

Not going on and on without letting the other person speak

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2016, 2:29 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
Random1, can you give examples of times when you have heard people talk about YOUR social skills?

nope

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2016, 2:46 pm

Social skills are nothing you should concern yourself with -- just be yourself. If you piss people off...well, I consider that a plus!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2016, 3:23 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Social skills are nothing you should concern yourself with -- just be yourself. If you piss people off...well, I consider that a plus!

but
am i limited

T2
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Sep 2016, 4:23 pm

I just miss an 'S' and that now describes my social abilities, 'Social kills' :?

Fanatic Heretic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Sep 2016, 4:40 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Funny. No matter how many other skills I've learned so far, these 3 never stop bothering me. I tend to not let other people finish and get confused when to start speaking. I can't start conversations face to face (but online it's easier). And I get clingy to some people even when they ignore me and want to be alone. I just can't stop this.

Anyway, this is just a few social skills. There are more. So, I'd add:

-Reading body language successfully
-Spontaneously looking for eye contact and keeping it
-Initiating conversations and social actions
-Being able to talk in groups and follow conversations even in groups

There are more, I know, but that's all I can think of right now.

hellhole
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Sep 2016, 4:49 pm

>not saying cringy stuff
>acting like everyone else

"vulnerable narcissistic defenses w/ mild borderline traits"; Body Dysmorphic Disorder, (self-diagnosed).

Our internal representation of reality: (http://bit.ly/2BJuj5o)

TheCurse
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Sep 2016, 9:54 pm

Looking people in the eye and speaking with conviction, even when you know what you're saying is a big lie.

Can I do it? Pfffffft, hell no. I can't even look people in the eye with my constant unabashed honesty. It's just too weird. I'd feel like I was sticking my hand down their pants or something. Nope, game over on that one.

RabidFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Sep 2016, 10:07 pm

Social skills are how well you socialize with other people. People with poor social skills have trouble with conversation, getting along with others, and solving problems. People with good social skills are great at talking, developing friendships, and working out difficulties. You refine your social skills by using them, but some people find this hard to do. Sometimes, no matter how hard a person tries, they just can't improve their social skills. Some people find help while others let it go.

It's best to hone your social skills at every chance you get. Good social skills will get you farther in life. They are especially helpful when in school or at the work place.

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2016, 3:44 pm

RabidFox wrote:
Social skills are how well you socialize with other people. People with poor social skills have trouble with conversation, getting along with others, and solving problems. People with good social skills are great at talking, developing friendships, and working out difficulties. You refine your social skills by using them, but some people find this hard to do. Sometimes, no matter how hard a person tries, they just can't improve their social skills. Some people find help while others let it go.

It's best to hone your social skills at every chance you get. Good social skills will get you farther in life. They are especially helpful when in school or at the work place.

wil
i always
struggle with social skills

RabidFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Sep 2016, 4:43 pm

random1 wrote:
RabidFox wrote:

wil
i always
struggle with social skills

I believe that social skills can be greatly improved even in autistic people. While you may always have some kind of struggle, it is possible that you could conquer some of the very worst obstacles.

It is important to be assertive. Try not to give into feelings of anxiety and fear. It may be impossible for you in face to face communication, but look at the internet as providing you with all the anonymous protection that you need. No one knows anything about you until you decide to give them that information, and then when you do make that decision, make sure to do it with confidence.

Just walk right into a chat room, just walk right into a forum, just walk right into people. Use familiar phrases that you've heard others use and ask as many questions as you like. People will sense that you are an easy person to get along with and they will be drawn to that. There's no reason why you can't have productive friendships. You just have to learn with time what responses get you the most positive feedback. However, you need to make sure that you avoid controversial topics. You may develop your social skills to a very great extent, but a flame war can easily break your spirit. So be careful and be confident.