Subway sacks woman with Aspergers for sharing her free soda!

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 4:46 pm

A Subway restaurant in New Zealand sacked worker Jackie Lang, who has Asperger's, for sharing her free soda with a friend who was upset. A few weeks later Jakie was arrested for stealing the $4 soda and she spent 2 hours in jail. 50 students from a nearby university protested outside the Subway restaurant today and a New Zealand wide boycott of Subway is planned.

Quote:
A SUBWAY restaurant in New Zealand has been accused of heavy-handed tactics after sacking a worker for stealing a $4 cola, even though she has free drinks written into her employment agreement.

Dunedin woman Jackie Lang, who has Asperger’s Syndrome, lost her job and faces criminal charges after the fast food outlet management accused her of stealing a drink of diet cola, worth $4.

http://www.tv3.co.nz/TheSubwaysackingde ... fault.aspx - Includes a video of Jakie on TV News.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21 ... 01,00.html

Here is Subways feed-back form where you can send your complaint (only your email and the SUBWAY Location in Dunedin, New Zealand needs to be filled in).

http://www.subway.com/subwayroot/Applic ... rvice.aspx

Vegasadelphia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 May 2007, 4:58 pm

Unbelievable.... when I worked in a grocery store, the rule was you could not drink or eat anything you purchased as an employee until you actually got rung up with receipt in hand. One day, a jr manager was in line with a soda. She opened it up while waiting in line, and took a sip. The district manager was there, saw this, and fired her on the spot. For taking a sip of soda, one of our best employees got canned.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 5:19 pm

Here is link with more information (link)

This seems most illogical.

08 May 2007, 6:22 pm

How can you steal a free soda? Are you not allowed to share it with someone?

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

08 May 2007, 6:43 pm

There is a thread in the General Autism section on this.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 6:45 pm

Morons, they should be shot.

Topher
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2007, 3:02 am

It proves Aspies have the biggest hearts of gold and more compassion then any MT, but if we trying to express it we get attacked, what a world.

headphase
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 11:40 am

I don't see why it even matters that she has AS.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 5:24 pm

headphase wrote:

Because it suggest another reason she may have been fired since most people know being fired over sharing a Coke is likely not the whole story.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 11:43 pm

headphase wrote:

It makes it more of a politically charged news story.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 7:41 am

For those not following the thread in General Autism forum the police dropped the charges on the girl on their own. :)

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 10:13 am

yeah she was a thief whats the big deal.
u gonna arrest some1 for $4
idiots

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

10 May 2007, 4:03 pm

I agree with headphase that it doesn't matter that she has AS (but it'd be great to have her on WP, wouldn't it?), as it could've happened to anybody. But I think her AS would have made it a bit harder to deal with.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 1:59 am

I hate it how a company/person will say one thing or make a rule--- and then change it or bend it on a whim. Even change it after the supposed act was committed so they can retro-actively fire someone. This type of action is, in my mind, wrong. But it seems perfectly acceptable in the business world. I guess i would make a terrible businesswoman.

aspiebegood
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 May 2007, 11:46 am

The attack on the dignity of someone with AS to this degree will probably have life-long tramatic results (Post Tramatic Syndrome). People with AS can get really worried and feel very violated by even small experiences of being accused of a crime. She should have been warned that sharing a partial pop was considered as giving away a full pop under her contract and would therefore be considered as theft. But these punishing tactics were obviously intended more to destroy the specific person from functioning later as a useful working person. Could it be because there was just "something" about her that made them feel hostile and uncomfortable towards her? Like her having the characteristics of AS? Do they have any idea what they have done to this person? Well I know what they just did with the person writing this post. They just lost my business for life!