Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ResilientBrilliance
Toucan
Toucan

21 Sep 2016, 12:13 pm

What are some jobs/careers that usually offer the option to work from home? What kind of background is needed to get the job?

Here are two jobs that I know:
- Clinical Research Associate (CRA): this job can be done from home but also requires some travel. I've applied for a few and got rejection emails. I was told this was an entry level job but it seems like they prefer nurses and people with experience
- Medical Coders: requires certification by passing an exam. I've seen a couple job postings in my area that offered remote jobs with no experience, just needed the certification

Please list any jobs from any industry

katnipp
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Sep 2016, 4:30 pm

In my experience of looking for work from home jobs, most require a specialized skill (i.e. programming) or are customer service jobs (not aspie friendly). But I think in the future more and more jobs will be offered as remote positions. I always check these two sites: http://www.skipthedrive.com/and https://weworkremotely.com/

Also a side note, I discovered living in California puts you at a disadvantage for a lot of remote jobs if you're working as a "contractor". I guess CA has some crazy laws that make some employers not want to hire from this state (Leapforce/Lionbridge included).

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 8:00 pm

You could also try www.upwork.com and related sites for freelance professionals.

ResilientBrilliance
Toucan
Toucan

22 Sep 2016, 8:05 pm

katnipp wrote:
In my experience of looking for work from home jobs, most require a specialized skill (i.e. programming) or are customer service jobs (not aspie friendly). But I think in the future more and more jobs will be offered as remote positions. I always check these two sites: http://www.skipthedrive.com/and https://weworkremotely.com/

Also a side note, I discovered living in California puts you at a disadvantage for a lot of remote jobs if you're working as a "contractor". I guess CA has some crazy laws that make some employers not want to hire from this state (Leapforce/Lionbridge included).

I'd be willing to take programming classes if I knew that in the future I could work from home. I imagine programmers and software developers drive to an office and have to work in groups. If a lot of them code from home, I'd definitely consider taking programming classes.

I applied for Leapforce and was put on some kind of waitlist. I applied for Search Engine Evaluator but the application still asked me questions about how many contacts I have and about social media. I think Leapforce wants to hire people who are active on social media but I don't have any social media accounts so maybe that's why I wasn't accepted.

ResilientBrilliance
Toucan
Toucan

26 Nov 2016, 11:41 am

Bump

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2016, 11:49 am

It's definitely not a full-time job that you could live on, but for occasional extra cash you can try mturk.com from Amazon.

There Are Four Lights!

ResilientBrilliance
Toucan
Toucan

26 Nov 2016, 12:29 pm

Yes I am looking for full-time jobs/careers. I am willing to go to school or take classes for the job. But first I need to know what kind of jobs are out there that offer remote positions before I invest money into taking classes.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2016, 8:43 pm

if you want to learn programming

some good places to start are as follows:

Codecademy
TeamTreeHouse
CodeSchool
MITOpenCourseware FREE

If i were you I would also check the demand for the different languages for remote work.
I think Ruby, JavaScript, C++, PHP and others are high up at the mo.

Perhaps consider picking one main one and getting really good at that one
and then prove how good you are by building projects that prove your abilities which will
get you more work than a resume.

Hope that helps
BTW I am also presently learning Programming also because I find it hard to work around people
and have suffered a lot of work based stress and work based bullying which i think is due to suffering from
ASC.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 10:46 am

Darmok wrote:
It's definitely not a full-time job that you could live on, but for occasional extra cash you can try mturk.com from Amazon.

I don't think they are approving new workers at the moment, I was denied. Seems like new applicants are getting the same on Reddit.

WaysOff
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Nov 2016, 8:07 am

I want to do this, too.

Are there any such jobs/gigs for writing? Writing is about the one possibly marketable skill I have. I'd like to learn programming but I don't know whether or not I can hack it.

I've heard of people who do 'bookkeeping' remotely. I've even seen online courses for it. Of course, I couldn't tell you the difference between that and whatever it is that accounts do if you put a gun to my head. There are many things I don't know.

There's all sorts of things I'd be willing to do, as long as it doesn't take several years and several dozen thousand dollars to get into it. Hell, I'm not even looking to make bank. 30K a year would be an honest-to-god dream come true for me, I'm not even kidding. Even 20K would be a vast improvement, as long as I wasn't being put to it at an exploitative rate.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2016, 10:02 am

When I managed a shop, I’ve had people come in and sale me on their social media. Basically, a set number of positive post they would either tweet, yelp or Facebook about… Now they had a decent number of followers, probably artificially inflated. Some of them offered to setup and run social media, the prices are up there and get yourself 10-12 at those fees and you will be making 30k easily…

hmds2007
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Dec 2016, 3:13 pm

Make an effort..

Go to upwork.com and see what kind of work clients are offering? These are all work-from-home jobs. They are looking for freelancers.

You can make a decent living working online.

coding, writing, virtual assistant, customer service, audiobooks narator, designer are just a few examples...