Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 2 Feb 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 363

22 Sep 2016, 1:37 pm

y do u think they hate it


_________________
diagnosed with autistic disorder.


FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,374
Location: San Antonio, TX

22 Sep 2016, 1:40 pm

Some NTs just like to pick out anything that is different to their social norm, (which is why bullying is a thing).



SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,690
Location: UK

22 Sep 2016, 2:46 pm

random1 wrote:
y do u think they hate it


Are you asking why they hate quiet as in no noise & distractions or
why they hate quiet as in someone not being very talkative i.e big gaps of silence in a conversastion


_________________
R Tape loading error, 0:1

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard


random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 2 Feb 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 363

22 Sep 2016, 3:00 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
random1 wrote:
y do u think they hate it


Are you asking why they hate quiet as in no noise & distractions or
why they hate quiet as in someone not being very talkative i.e big gaps of silence in a conversastion

talkative


_________________
diagnosed with autistic disorder.


SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,690
Location: UK

22 Sep 2016, 3:12 pm

random1 wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
random1 wrote:
y do u think they hate it


Are you asking why they hate quiet as in no noise & distractions or
why they hate quiet as in someone not being very talkative i.e big gaps of silence in a conversastion

talkative


I don't think it's just NT's who dislike quiet. For me the awkward silence is a sign that you have run out of things to say and I suppose it's embarrising that I'm not social enough to keep a conversation going.


_________________
R Tape loading error, 0:1

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard


Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 2 Nov 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 460
Location: England

22 Sep 2016, 4:00 pm

Great question. I think they just have low arousal rate where as we have high arousal rate. It just means that we are more sensitive to stimuli around us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arousal



random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 2 Feb 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 363

22 Sep 2016, 4:15 pm

Adamantus wrote:
Great question. I think they just have low arousal rate where as we have high arousal rate. It just means that we are more sensitive to stimuli around us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arousal

i
dont get it


_________________
diagnosed with autistic disorder.


AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Joined: 11 Feb 2016
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 496
Location: New Zealand

23 Sep 2016, 6:48 am

It requires them to think silently. They are alone in their head with their own thoughts. Scary for someone that reads into everything.

"Why did the conversation end????"
"Was it my fault."
"Oh, nooo, I'm soo embarassed."
"What did I do."
"I wish he'd say something."
"No one else is looking this way, I can't smile at anyone."
"If I say something, wait, am I sweating?"
:lol:



random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 2 Feb 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 363

23 Sep 2016, 8:54 am

AngryAngryAngry wrote:
It requires them to think silently. They are alone in their head with their own thoughts. Scary for someone that reads into everything.

"Why did the conversation end????"
"Was it my fault."
"Oh, nooo, I'm soo embarassed."
"What did I do."
"I wish he'd say something."
"No one else is looking this way, I can't smile at anyone."
"If I say something, wait, am I sweating?"
:lol:

so
they hate silent


_________________
diagnosed with autistic disorder.


SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,690
Location: UK

23 Sep 2016, 9:18 am

random1 wrote:
AngryAngryAngry wrote:
It requires them to think silently. They are alone in their head with their own thoughts. Scary for someone that reads into everything.

"Why did the conversation end????"
"Was it my fault."
"Oh, nooo, I'm soo embarassed."
"What did I do."
"I wish he'd say something."
"No one else is looking this way, I can't smile at anyone."
"If I say something, wait, am I sweating?"
:lol:

so
they hate silent


I don't think it's just an NT trait to hate silence , I thought everybody did


_________________
R Tape loading error, 0:1

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard


random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 2 Feb 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 363

23 Sep 2016, 9:55 am

SaveFerris wrote:
random1 wrote:
AngryAngryAngry wrote:
It requires them to think silently. They are alone in their head with their own thoughts. Scary for someone that reads into everything.

"Why did the conversation end????"
"Was it my fault."
"Oh, nooo, I'm soo embarassed."
"What did I do."
"I wish he'd say something."
"No one else is looking this way, I can't smile at anyone."
"If I say something, wait, am I sweating?"
:lol:

so
they hate silent


I don't think it's just an NT trait to hate silence , I thought everybody did

oh


_________________
diagnosed with autistic disorder.


nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,017
Location: Kansas

23 Sep 2016, 10:02 am

AngryAngryAngry wrote:
It requires them to think silently. They are alone in their head with their own thoughts. Scary for someone that reads into everything.

"Why did the conversation end????"
"Was it my fault."
"Oh, nooo, I'm soo embarassed."
"What did I do."
"I wish he'd say something."
"No one else is looking this way, I can't smile at anyone."
"If I say something, wait, am I sweating?"
:lol:


Omg! Get out of my head!

:mrgreen:


_________________
Me grumpy?
I'm happiness challenged.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.


SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,690
Location: UK

23 Sep 2016, 10:22 am

random1 wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
random1 wrote:
AngryAngryAngry wrote:
It requires them to think silently. They are alone in their head with their own thoughts. Scary for someone that reads into everything.

"Why did the conversation end????"
"Was it my fault."
"Oh, nooo, I'm soo embarassed."
"What did I do."
"I wish he'd say something."
"No one else is looking this way, I can't smile at anyone."
"If I say something, wait, am I sweating?"
:lol:

so
they hate silent


I don't think it's just an NT trait to hate silence , I thought everybody did

oh


I could be wrong though but that's the reason they're called uncomfortable or awkward silences.
Obviously not all silences in conversation are awkward but they are if you feel the social norm is to be.... well social.
Me and my GF could happily sit in a room and not talk to each other for an hour maybe more.


_________________
R Tape loading error, 0:1

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard


AnonymouslyAutistic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 7 Sep 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 54

23 Sep 2016, 10:36 am

It is all about brain chemistry.

NT's and Extroverts crave dopamine and totally different neurotransmitters than introverts and Aspies. They get energized by the pump of adrenaline.

Autistic people and introverts tend to need less of these chemicals and so we tend to avoid these types of situations so we do not become over stimulated. Our primary neurotransmitter seems to be acetylcholine... which reacts differently in the brain.

OMG... I just went full nerd. lol.


_________________
Writing is therapy, and unfortunately I am not ready to come out of the “Autistic Closet” just yet. Hopefully something that I have to share might be helpful to you in your life.

With love,
Anonymously Autistic
“Anna”

https://anonymouslyautistic.net/


Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2012
Age: 58
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,187
Location: Lost in Space

23 Sep 2016, 11:13 am

SaveFerris wrote:
I don't think it's just NT's who dislike quiet. For me the awkward silence is a sign that you have run out of things to say and I suppose it's embarrising that I'm not social enough to keep a conversation going.

I relate to this. I am not very good at keeping a conversation going. I am always amazed how others are so easily able to come up with things to talk about. As an example, my mother-in-law just visited. She talks and talks and talks and talks. It's like she free associates from topic to topic to topic.

For me, I am so singularly focused, that it's difficult to talk about anything but a few small topics (those that I am focused on most of my day). I have come to realize that with my close friends (and I have less than a handful), most of the time I am with them, they are talking probably 80-90% of the time. I listen, oftentimes out of politeness. But eventually I get bored. I suppose this is why, when I am with others, I prefer to "do things" rather than just sit around and "converse".



Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,893

23 Sep 2016, 11:37 am

Well, if we like it, it only makes sense for them to hate it.


_________________
The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.