Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

KanyeWestFan
Toucan
Toucan

24 Sep 2016, 7:22 pm

Is there worth in a rapist? in a child molester? people who are failures in life? what about Autism/Aspergers? is there worth in every single one of us? is there worth in someone who can't even think and just spend their life in a wheelchair? What do you think?

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 7:48 pm

Well, because of my faith in God, I believe EVERYBODY is sent here for a reason!

Now, your question was about child molesters, et al. Look at Elizabeth Smart and Jaycee Dugard, for instance (if you don't know, they were held captive for YEARS [well, Elizabeth was not quite a year] and sexually molested----Jaycee had TWO kids, by her molester)----those girls (Elizabeth and Jaycee) grew into REMARKABLE / well-adjusted women (I'm sure they had therapy); so, this may sound strange to say, but their captors actually contributed to them being such strong, wonderful women, now.

I think we humans are stronger, maybe, than we realize----I also think we have more to offer than we, ourselves, realize----so, YES, we ASDers have something to offer, as well.

So-called "losers" are only such because someone gave them that label----and, "losers" is subjective, isn't it!!

We (ANYBODY) may not always know, right-away, what our worth, is----we may NEVER know----but, then, we may not always be aware of how we POSITIVELY affect OTHERS, for instance.

Last edited by Campin_Cat on 24 Sep 2016, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 7:49 pm

There is no worth in looking for the worth in things.
Things just ARE.
People just ARE.
There is no price tag.
Because who exactly would set the price?

Moriath
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Sep 2016, 7:56 pm

No one should be judged better than anyone else. Therefore there is no one to say one life is more worthy than another.

However i think that the way modern medicine is that some are kept alive that might have died in previous generations just because we can. Not because we should.

We treat animals better than humans some times in keeping humans alive in pain and suffering when if it was a dog it would have been put out of its misery ages ago.

I am all for voluntary euthanasia. And against every life is sacred whatever the state they have to live in.

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 8:04 pm

Every life is worth living if that person wants to live, or will want to live.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 8:05 pm

I think I can see where you are coming from OP, and your question is more in the realm of philosophy: is there inherent value in every life? There has been debate about this at least since the time of Aristotle, and no definitive answers yet.

We know, though, what can happen when politicians consider that some lives don't matter at all: the Holocaust was based on that central assertion by the Nazi Party; the Eugenics movement, which began in the USA, was clearly founded on the same belief, acted out with policies of forced sterilisations, propaganda, cruel institutionalisations, effectively deeming those lives to be worthless. People on the spectrum suffered under these policies with other targeted groups because eugenicists considered their lives to be without any redeeming human value. The KKK are still around, devaluing human lives, as they always have.

I hope these evil ideologies never get acted out again, though there is a dark side to human nature that co-exists with the force for good. That battle seems to be a timeless one, acted out over and over throughout history and it will take both the same and different forms in the future, I think; how we measure human worth now is often based on a philosophy of materialism, consumption, competition and individualism. It's a dangerous and inhumane trend, IMO.

Ven_
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Sep 2016, 8:53 pm

There are times where I wonder this about myself. There is so much about life that is available to other people, but not to me. I'll never get married, if I have kids I'll worry that I passed my autism down to them, military glory will forever be denied to me, even a 2 year college degree failed to do anything. I can't even sustain employment because there is something about the autistic mind that authority figures cannot stand. I'll never be able to do anything but live at home, play my games, and later, live off my parents' inheritance.

But then I remember that I can't stand people, don't even like being physically touched, and I LIKE the video games, so I guess it's kinda okay.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 9:01 pm

I believe that every life is worth living. Instead of being ignored, I feel that every person with a disability who wants to work should work. I feel that every conceived being should be brought into the world. I feel that people with disabilities have a lot to offer. I feel that they can be very employable. I feel that there needs to be help and programmes in place so that everybody who wants to work will get a job, whether or not they have a disability, no matter what the nature of their disabilities are. I feel that there needs to be media in place that showcase the strengths of people with developmental disabilities so that more prospective parents are inclined to keep their babies. There is something wrong with eliminating disabled population. I feel that there's something terribly wrong with that. I also feel that every child is a wanted child. There are foster parents who want to adopt children with special needs who have the proper training to raise their children. I also feel that it should be free to adopt all children. If a woman doesn't want her baby, she should give the baby to someone who does want the baby. I don't feel that there's any reason to weed anybody out of the human gene pool. Everybody in the world right now each has their strengths and challenges. I feel that everybody should have the opportunity to capitalize on their strengths so they can find some kind of employment in a regular work enviornment. Everybody has their own set of strengths that are useful for some kind of employment. I bet there are some people that people label vegetables who are probably really good authours who have made millions of dollars on their best selling books. I was watching a TV series titled 'Special Needs Hotel' where they trained special needs adults and at the end of that training, they're guaranteed a job in any restaurant setting of their choice. Britain knows what they're doing. I hope other countries will follow in their footsteps. Once people open their eyes and see all that is possible, the world can change for the better. I can see Carly Fleschman coming up with a few best selling books of her own in the near future.

Outcast97
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Sep 2016, 9:12 pm

This is a very intriguing question indeed. Is Very Life Truly Worth Living? This is entirely dependent on the circumstances that the individual has going on in their life. Let's say someone whose entire purpose was to be a slave for someone else, and there is no possible way for them to change their position. Would this be a life worth living? Maybe to some people, this would be an abhorrent life to live, to have your only purpose be to serve another. One could argue that this life has no worthwhile meaning. However, another could say that this life is a pretty decent life. Sure their only purpose is to serve another, but they have no crucial responsibility, no higher expectation other than to serve. They have one singular task: To Serve, and to some, this is a good life. Maybe the individual has no concept of a better life and thus can only think of their current life as the best that there is. In conclusion: A life is truly worth living only if that individual feels that way, as ultimately, it is them who decides whether they wish to lead that life.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2016, 12:33 pm

I don't think every life is truly worth living.
I support those people who have horrible diseases who want to die.