Any Trip Hop and other related genre fans? Please Share!

Page 14 of 16 [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

traven
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 1:19 am

Nils Petter Molvær is considered a pioneer of future jazz, a genre that fuses jazz and electronic music

sly & robbie for drum & bass :D

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 1:31 am

I still don't think we have a thread for half-time yet so I'll keep volleying these between your trip hop and my dnb thread if that's okay :)

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2018, 1:49 pm

1986 wrote:
I'm sorry if it's frowned upon to post own work in threads such as this one (if it is, please correct me and I won't do it again), but I'm working on a track which I thought might fit into this genre. It starts as a kind of organic downtempo piece, and I'm planning to let it evolve into an atmospheric d&b piece, before settling back into downtempo again towards the end of the song.

https://clyp.it/ix10bxqb

Hope you enjoy. :)

You're more than welcome to share your work here. I like too :D I like the DnB sounding part near the end.

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I still don't think we have a thread for half-time yet so I'll keep volleying these between your trip hop and my dnb thread if that's okay :)

Go ahead, it doesn't have to be strictly trip hop to be in this thread. Speaking of which I found this electronic artist named Conjure One, his work sounds like trance and dark ambience with some worldbeat.

I really like 'Tears From The Moon' definitely my most favorite song from him and the singer is great too, shame she isn't on any of his other songs.

Manic Star almost sounds like something you'd hear from Ghost In The Shell.

I find 'Sleep' to be a very relaxing song

'Years' sounds really dark and creepy

I like the singer for this one as well.

Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2018, 4:38 am

Quote:
You're more than welcome to share your work here. I like too :D I like the DnB sounding part near the end.

Thanks! I'm still working on the track, hope to squeeze in some DAW time this weekend. I'll be sure to post the track here when it's finished. :)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 9:38 pm

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 9:44 pm

The genre ASC and Samurai Music Group has been playing with in the last five or six years they call 'gray scale', ie. it's really a sort of abstract/ambient with persistent beats in triplets and odd bpms (170ish I think but 3/4 signatures and the like). I try looking the genre occasionally and all I can find is references to a punk band (and they may be okay - just distracting though).

This one's meaty on the rhythm:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 7:49 pm

The more I listen to this album the more awestruck I am. Think he's just about challenging Richie Hawtin as the king of headspace here.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2018, 2:29 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
The genre ASC and Samurai Music Group has been playing with in the last five or six years they call 'gray scale', ie. it's really a sort of abstract/ambient with persistent beats in triplets and odd bpms (170ish I think but 3/4 signatures and the like). I try looking the genre occasionally and all I can find is references to a punk band (and they may be okay - just distracting though).

ASC sounds awesome the BPM make it feel like DnB but Trip Hop at the same time. I really like the song Extrasolar.

Anyway this new single by an artist named Matterflow came out and it features Rosko John. I'm glad he's still doing music. I hope he makes another album or hopefully Archive have him in their next album, he is such an underrated MC imo. Speaking of Archive I wonder if we're gonna get a new album from this year. They released 3 annual albums in a row since 2014 but after The Last Foundation in 2016 they stopped and did nothing but touring. It's almost 2 years since their last album I wonder if they decided not to do the yearly releases because the quality for them wasn't as great as their other albums that take longer to produce.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 2:53 pm

SnailHail wrote:

I like. Really epic/moody work on the piano.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2018, 2:44 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
SnailHail wrote:

I like. Really epic/moody work on the piano.

I just found another song that features Roya Arab its by this artist named (E)motion. Pretty hard to find this artist as their name isn't search friendly and it leads to a bunch of other stuff.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2018, 10:05 pm

Here's something Youtube just threw my way (they really do love me!) from 1997. Reminds me a lot of the DarkHouse Family stuff I shared earlier but probably even more firmly in the trip hop genre. As far as I can tell I like their style.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 8:42 pm

A new gray area track by Sam KDC on Samurai Music:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 8:21 pm

And another gray area artist whose not even associated with that group.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2018, 2:36 pm

Stray channeling J-Dilla (stop me if I posted this already...)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 2:47 pm

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2020, 2:51 pm

I'm back to revive this thread.
Anyway I've recently been listening to Faye Wong and her album Fable has a very interesting take on trip hop by combining it with Buddhist elements. I hope I can find more trip hop with East Asian Folk elements. It makes me feel like I'm on a very mystical and somewhat dark journey.