Any Trip Hop and other related genre fans? Please Share!

Page 13 of 16 [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2018, 1:35 pm

domineekee wrote:
Hi SnailHail,
yes, it's my stuff. The noises are taken from a lecture, its all words put through filters and delay. (apart from the strings and the beat)

What is it like making trip hop? I've been thinking about producing music and trip hop is definitely a genre I want to try but I can't really find any tutorials or basics on it like hip hop, DnB, EDM, rock and etc. Do you essentially follow some of the rules of hip hop like beat patterns and just take what you learn from other genre tutorials?

Anyway I found this nice song from an artist named Yuna. She isn't a trip hop artist but this song sounds nice and definitely has some trip hop vibes to it.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2018, 2:01 pm

SnailHail wrote:
domineekee wrote:
Hi SnailHail,
yes, it's my stuff. The noises are taken from a lecture, its all words put through filters and delay. (apart from the strings and the beat)

What is it like making trip hop? I've been thinking about producing music and trip hop is definitely a genre I want to try but I can't really find any tutorials or basics on it like hip hop, DnB, EDM, rock and etc. Do you essentially follow some of the rules of hip hop like beat patterns and just take what you learn from other genre tutorials?

Anyway I found this nice song from an artist named Yuna. She isn't a trip hop artist but this song sounds nice and definitely has some trip hop vibes to it.

If it comes naturally to you then you will find it easy. I find it deceptively hard so I haven't pursued that style. The music that you want to make may not be the music that comes through you!
It's going to be easier and more fun if you learn with or from other people IMO. In the past, people would just sample up old records and take it from there.
Pussyfoot records released a lot of music that was essentially a few samples stopping and starting.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2018, 2:27 pm

domineekee wrote:
SnailHail wrote:
domineekee wrote:
Hi SnailHail,

If it comes naturally to you then you will find it easy. I find it deceptively hard so I haven't pursued that style. The music that you want to make may not be the music that comes through you!
It's going to be easier and more fun if you learn with or from other people IMO. In the past, people would just sample up old records and take it from there.
Pussyfoot records released a lot of music that was essentially a few samples stopping and starting.

Well sampling for this genre is pretty common and to be expected. I think the real challenge is finding some good material to sample and altering sampled material. Some of the songs I listen to when I check out what it was sampled from it sounds completely different or hardly identical to its original source. I'm also impressed with how the producers alter samples to get them to sound certain ways.

Considering the broad range of stylistic origins trip hop has and how experimental the genre is, it is likely for the best that one exposes them self to as much music from as many genres as possible and from many different decades for inspiration and sampling material.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2018, 2:49 pm

SnailHail wrote:
domineekee wrote:
SnailHail wrote:
domineekee wrote:
Hi SnailHail,

Well sampling for this genre is pretty common and to be expected. I think the real challenge is finding some good material to sample and altering sampled material. Some of the songs I listen to when I check out what it was sampled from it sounds completely different or hardly identical to its original source. I'm also impressed with how the producers alter samples to get them to sound certain ways.

Considering the broad range of stylistic origins trip hop has and how experimental the genre is, it is likely for the best that one exposes them self to as much music from as many genres as possible and from many different decades for inspiration and sampling material.

Knowing what you like and what you would like to be part of counts for a lot. I hope you give it a go.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2018, 7:41 pm

Not triphop but more of the half-tempo sort of thing that Ivy Lab started pushing out maybe three or four years ago. This is Alex Perez and EPROM going under the pseudonym 'SHADES'. They're a bit more dark/brutal than Ivy Lab, probably Alix's influence, but also along Alix's line of thought it's equally smooth and well formulated:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2018, 2:42 pm

more downtempo,

These guys are pretty smooth. Kinda goes toward neosoul but they've got a lot of dancier stuff even though it still leans introspective. One that really put on a smile on my face is they remixed Codename John - Dreams of Heaven, called it 'Moving 909s'.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 1:44 am

I'm sorry if it's frowned upon to post own work in threads such as this one (if it is, please correct me and I won't do it again), but I'm working on a track which I thought might fit into this genre. It starts as a kind of organic downtempo piece, and I'm planning to let it evolve into an atmospheric d&b piece, before settling back into downtempo again towards the end of the song.

https://clyp.it/ix10bxqb

Hope you enjoy. :)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 6:34 am

It reminds me of the kind of sound that Medschool and Absys were playing with back around 2010 (sort of an atmospheric microfunk).

The only thing that's throwing me a little is the cowbell build - is that where you were thinking about injecting the dnb stretch of the track? If so it's a work in progress and I'd have to give it a listen when that's in place. Otherwise you'd probably want to keep transitional elements, like builds, to the transitions or at least to the places where the track will be taking on a significant modification and including the introduced sound as a main element for at least a while (maybe 8 or 16 bars at a minimum).

Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 7:57 am

I see what you mean. The intent was actually to have a "fake buildup" at the cowbell part, and then let the tempo change (from 80 to 160 bpm) happen unexpectedly at 02:27. But I will take your feedback into consideration, because it helps me understand what other listeners may be expecting. Thanks!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 1:24 pm

You could still do something like that but you'd want to introduce something new even if keeping it the same bpm and my guess would be, if the something new is subtle, you'd want to keep the build up made of whatever came before it. For that kind of thing as well, ie. attention grabbers and tricks, dropping the persussion out on the last or first quarter note of a loop (first quarter note if you're going for more guile) but there are a lot of ways - even like adding a slice of something odd or different, almost like a cross-fade, which snap people's attention back in.

Also, lol, not to backseat-produce, I don't mean to be rude with all of that and if anything it reminds me that I should get back into things again when I have the chance.

Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 8:45 pm

Quote:
Also, lol, not to backseat-produce, I don't mean to be rude with all of that and if anything it reminds me that I should get back into things again when I have the chance.

Haha, no worries. :) I appreciate your advice since you've got plenty of experience in the genre. Also, I spent most of my 20s doing music exactly the way I personally preferred, and my songs got so weird (think shakuhachi + wonky techno) that in the end it attracted nobody. :mrgreen: Listening and learning from others is a way for me to learn to build an audience again.

I'll hopefully get back to you in a few weeks with a new version!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2018, 8:47 pm

I considered putting this in my dnb thread but, it's a really abstract and beautiful album and it fits here as well (kinda bpm-less too).

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2018, 12:12 am

Trip hop isn't a genre I've listened to a lot of, but I do enjoy it. Portishead's album "Dummy" is great.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2018, 8:56 pm

smooth half-time & rnb

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2018, 9:25 pm

Touching delivery.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 1:19 am

Nils Petter Molvær is considered a pioneer of future jazz, a genre that fuses jazz and electronic music

sly & robbie for drum & bass :D