Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2016, 7:33 pm

Why it is when you finally accept yourself, people wants to change you?

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2016, 8:30 pm

I only fully accepted my autism at age 19. Before I would self injure, hate myself and I had a few suicide attempts.

Now I am 26 and I embrace the good aspects of my autism and try to ameliorate the hard parts.

I'm not in harmony, but I understand myself better.

My parents want me to be "normal". They keep trying to enforce normality on me.

My advice to you is ignore them. You are you! Nobody else has a right to modify you.

TheCurse
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Sep 2016, 9:14 pm

Nobody likes arrogance. Everyone else is worried all the time. They are on edge, living in an alarmist society. Misery loves company. How dare you go on with your acceptance while everyone else continues to question themselves.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2016, 9:28 pm

TheCurse wrote:
Nobody likes arrogance. Everyone else is worried all the time. They are on edge, living in an alarmist society. Misery loves company. How dare you go on with your acceptance while everyone else continues to question themselves.

I don't understand why you typed this?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 1:24 am

Seems like people are always trying to change others one way or another no matter what.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 1:17 pm

I've recently accepted myself as I really am in January. My mum tried to change me until April when I left that message on her machine.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 3:54 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
I only fully accepted my autism at age 19. Before I would self injure, hate myself and I had a few suicide attempts.

Now I am 26 and I embrace the good aspects of my autism and try to ameliorate the hard parts.

My advice to you is ignore them. You are you! Nobody else has a right to modify you.

I have Cerebral Palsy & Asperger, back then I didn't know I had Asperger. I was lucky with my parents, my older sister was in denial about Cerebral Palsy.

I hurt myself too, I keep banging my head on the outside of the cupboard & I almost cut my wrist. I tried to overdose on my medication, I went to a mental hospital once.

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Sep 2016, 9:10 am

I don't hate myself, I don't blame myself at all. I have autism, it is not a part of who I am but a genetic defect I have to deal with. I do hate it when people accuse me of hating myself or my family when I explain I don't believe autism is a good thing or a gift.

-Johnnyh

north404
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Sep 2016, 7:58 pm

I was suspicious of it January 2015, became more aware this past spring, and I still haven't really accepted it. I hate myself even more tbh

Ginny Maree
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jun 2017, 2:24 am

SteelMaiden wrote:

Hi SteelMaiden...you sound similar to my son. I am here looking for answers on how to help him self accept. He is 20 and only started with the self hatred and harming in the last year. Can you share how you moved past that?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 2:28 am

SteelMaiden hasn't posted since October.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Ginny Maree
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jul 2017, 12:08 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
SteelMaiden hasn't posted since October.

I'll keep trying to find someone here who will talk to me about this issue. Thanks

TheWarrior
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jul 2017, 9:56 am

I did self harm a few times. The anger and frustration was so big that created in me the urge to just hurt something, it was like an explosion of violence inside me, but I couldn't go out and punch random people.

What helped me a lot was spending this powerful energy in something external. I started working out, lifting iron, doing cardio exercise.

Nyctalope
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jul 2017, 12:36 am

Quote:
Accepting Yourself

impossibiru

sun.flower

04 Jul 2017, 9:29 pm

A lot of people who are nt's or not conscious of their actions try to change others for their own comfort. Many people are quite self-serving, and once I saw that people became much clearer to me as a whole.